Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,581   Posts: 188,335   Members: 6,543   Active Members: 290
Welcome to our newest member, AndrewGxb0.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brain Bags for 8 year olds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My husband and I have been using Brain Bags for work for a few years. Our kids were tearing through Lands End packs every year for the last few years at school. We ordered them Synapse 19’s thinking it would be a good replacement. We’d rather have a good bag that lasted years than replace them every year. After putting in a lunch box, water bottle and school folders we realized the Synapse 19s were going to be too small. We live in Colorado so there are days they will have to bring snow pants and maybe boots to school. We walk to and from school. We looked at the Synapse 25 and the Brain Bag and decided to go with Brain Bags for the compartmentalization. Kids don’t pack smartly. They just shove stuff in wherever they can. Brain Bags definitely seem like overkill but all the kids bring big packs and fortunately my kids are tall for 8 (4’8” and 4’7”). The hip straps will help with weight distribution.

I’m hoping these last them until at least middle school. They are in second grade now. Curious if other people have gotten larger backpacks for their kids and how it has worked out.

Hi staypuppy!

Welcome to the forum! I am 8 years old in an aging body, and I love carrying the Brain Bag!

My sixth grader wants to carry a backpack that can externally accommodate a water bottle, so I have suggested that he carry the Brain Bag. He tried it on, and it fit him well. Unfortunately, because I have suggested it, he feels a bit rebellious toward the idea...but let's see. I am hopeful that he'll opt for the Brain Bag despite my recommendation!

I see with my son as well that things just get thrown into the bag, and that's okay. I do think that the Brain Bag, or any other TOM BIHN bag will last your children well beyond their middle school years.
    -m

Comment

I'd be cautious loading down a little kid with heavy stuff for full day hikes but they're just taking their regular supplies back and forth to school. Sounds practical to me!

Comment

Originally posted by maverick View Post
        Hi staypuppy!

Welcome to the forum! I am 8 years old in an aging body, and I love carrying the Brain Bag!

My sixth grader wants to carry a backpack that can externally accommodate a water bottle, so I have suggested that he carry the Brain Bag. He tried it on, and it fit him well. Unfortunately, because I have suggested it, he feels a bit rebellious toward the idea...but let's see. I am hopeful that he'll opt for the Brain Bag despite my recommendation!

I see with my son as well that things just get thrown into the bag, and that's okay. I do think that the Brain Bag, or any other TOM BIHN bag will last your children well beyond their middle school years.
        Thanks! I’m glad to hear others have considered the same thing! I think they are awesome bags. I love mine. I hope my kids bags last well beyond middle school but they can be rough on them.

Maybe you can tell your son you changed your mind about letting him use the Brain Bag to get him to come around.

Comment

Originally posted by TRD View Post
          I'd be cautious loading down a little kid with heavy stuff for full day hikes but they're just taking their regular supplies back and forth to school. Sounds practical to me!
          Thanks! I’m a little concerned about the weight. Fortunately they are only walking half a mile or so each way to school and don’t have to carry any books other than library books. It just amazes how much stuff kids seem to need these days. Then again, I grew up in CA and we didn’t have to bring water to school. In Colorado, water is key and having layers, depending on the time of year. It all adds up weight wise.

Comment

I have friends in multiple states who complain about the same thing. Elementary school kids no longer just need a homework notebook and a lunch. There is so much more involved it's crazy!

Comment

If the S19 is too small, try the S25. I had the same issue. The Brain Bag is probably way too big for your kids.

Comment

I'm 4'11" and used to have a Brain Bag. I'm sure I'm bigger in all ways than your kids, but I never felt the BB was too large. I did think it got too heavy. The BB does get heavy when packed. However, the biggest issue I had was keeping the straps on my shoulders. If you can get the sternum strap synched enough and pull the straps all the way tight, maybe even use the waist strap, then it could work. Seems to me, the Brain Bag is definitely something they will grow into, especially if at 8 they are almost 5 feet tall. Can you spare yours for a day and see if they can tolerate it? If so, I say go for it!

Comment

The S19 is definitely too small the schoolchildren these days. I'm a teacher and I use an S19 for work, and my backpack is way smaller than all the students' bags. They simply have too much to carry back and forth these days, especially living here in Chicago.

Comment

Originally posted by sujo View Post
                    I'm 4'11" and used to have a Brain Bag. I'm sure I'm bigger in all ways than your kids, but I never felt the BB was too large. I did think it got too heavy. The BB does get heavy when packed. However, the biggest issue I had was keeping the straps on my shoulders. If you can get the sternum strap synched enough and pull the straps all the way tight, maybe even use the waist strap, then it could work. Seems to me, the Brain Bag is definitely something they will grow into, especially if at 8 they are almost 5 feet tall. Can you spare yours for a day and see if they can tolerate it? If so, I say go for it!
                    We ended up getting them. We are definitely working with them to wear waist and chest straps and demonstrating how much lighter it is. Part of me wishes we had gone with the 25 but I think this will grow with them more, given the stuff they will be carrying. Usually the extra stuff will be clothes so I'm hoping that helps! And keeping heavier items in the back.

Comment

Originally posted by jelt2359 View Post
                      If the S19 is too small, try the S25. I had the same issue. The Brain Bag is probably way too big for your kids.
                      We went back and forth. In some ways I wish we'd gone with the 25 but we went with the Brain Bag. I was worried about the days they are bring snow or rain gear and having it stuffed in with their school stuff. The driving factor was having 2 compartments. I'm hoping they grow into it. They are still growing about 3 inches a year so should be pushing 5 feet by next year.

Comment

Originally posted by ultravisitor View Post
                        The S19 is definitely too small the schoolchildren these days. I'm a teacher and I use an S19 for work, and my backpack is way smaller than all the students' bags. They simply have too much to carry back and forth these days, especially living here in Chicago.
                        Yes! All the kids here have big packs here as well. The 25 didn't seem a whole lot bigger than the 19 and it's smaller than the large Lands End packs. The Brain Bag seemed too big but more functional. I want to make sure they use it properly and avoid back issues. It's definitely not something my parents spent this much time worrying about. I don't think I had a backpack until middle school. We didn't bring books home.
                        Last edited by staypuppy; 08-30-2017, 10:48 AM.

Comment

I was looking again at all the packs, just to compare, because I'm obsessive that way. The breakdown on size in cu inches is:

Synapse 19: 1160
                          Synapse 25: 1526
                          Lands End XL (for 4'6" and above): 2000
                          Brain Bag: 2200

I'm glad we went with the Brain Bag. It has more flexibility. The Synapse 19 was definitely too small, and I don't think adding 400 cu inches with the Synapse 25 would have gone very far to solve that problem. I appreciate all the feedback. I needed some more perspective on it.

Comment

I have all these bags and the Smart Alec. I travel extensively for work (one flight a week). The S19 was way too small, after putting in my laptop and charger and stuff it'd already be bulging. But the S25 allowed me to add an ipad, clothes, music player, books, and STILL have space left over and still felt normal (not bulgy). I thought it was perfect. The BB was always way too much bag for me.

S25 is really the perfect size for me!

Comment

Good hearing from someone with all the bags! I’m guessing if we’d gone with the S25, it would have been fine too. We had to make a decision because school was starting. They like the BB so far. I guess time will tell how it works out! It sounds like the S19 vs the S25 was significantly bigger in your opinion. On paper, it doesn’t seem that much bigger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X