Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,586   Posts: 188,399   Members: 6,562   Active Members: 320
Welcome to our newest member, FlorBeadle.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Aid bags that don't look like first aid bags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Aid bags that don't look like first aid bags?

I love the first/second aid bags, with all their little pockets and options for customization. But I want the option of buying a version that doesn't look like a first aid bag (more colors, and no white cross).

For my purposes, I'd use it to organize the fix-it kit I keep in my purse-- which includes a few first aid things as well as other fix-it items (a multitool, measuring tape, duct tape, etc.) I'm currently using a large Q-kit for this purpose, but it lacks the organization I really want.

I could also see people using a more generic "first aid kit" to organize makeup, craft supplies, or any number of things...

Who's with me? Can we request that this be added in the future?

What about using the small spiff kit?

Comment

Originally posted by BWeaves View Post
      What about using the small spiff kit?
      I think the small spiff kit is too big for EDC in a purse. (The first aid kit is a tiny bit bigger than I'd prefer, actually-- but only a tiny bit and I'd be willing to live with it if it were a more everyday color.)

Comment

I like to use the 3D Clear Organizer Cube, or the Clear Quarter Packing Cube as my first-aid bags. I like them, because they are clear, and I can see what I have in them.

Comment

I used a size 1 Trave Stuff Sack for quite a while. Nice small edc-worthy kit that can be put together in them.

Ilkyway
          “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

I use a 3d organizer cube, before that I used a size 1 stuff sack.
            I'm thinking I may go back to the stuff sack because I find clear sides of the organizer cube to be too "sticky".
            Before TB, I usually just used a ziplock freezer bag not very classy, but it worked.

Comment

3D ALL FABRIC organizer cube gets my vote,

lots of color choices,

can use it for other purposes if so desired,

and mine currently has 4 single pouchkins in it, hooked to the inside triangle part (I cut the hook off).

Comment

I used a stuff sack before but now I use a Mars Red Cubelet!

Comment

I guess I'm wondering what you are really looking for in terms of size, and what sorts of pockets, zippered pouches, etc. you are expecting. Did you want this to open like a clamshell, or just zip across the top like a makeup pouch? What size is too big? What size is too small? Can you give exact dimensions? Do the interior pockets or pouches have to close with a zipper or just be open pockets?

Everyone has made excellent suggestions and they don't seem to meet your needs, so I'm curious what exactly your are looking for? The more specific you are, the more likely TB may actually make it. (Can you tell I write computer code for a living? I need cold hard specs.)
                  Last edited by BWeaves; 08-30-2017, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AAD View Post
                    I love the first/second aid bags, with all their little pockets and options for customization. But I want the option of buying a version that doesn't look like a first aid bag (more colors, and no white cross).

For my purposes, I'd use it to organize the fix-it kit I keep in my purse-- which includes a few first aid things as well as other fix-it items (a multitool, measuring tape, duct tape, etc.) I'm currently using a large Q-kit for this purpose, but it lacks the organization I really want.

I could also see people using a more generic "first aid kit" to organize makeup, craft supplies, or any number of things...

Who's with me? Can we request that this be added in the future?
                    YES! I know there are other bag/pouch options for all of these carry needs but I'd love to have an Aid Kit without the cross.
                    Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

Hoping for a return of Hunter and Sage...

Comment

I use the side effect for this in halcyon but I'd jump on your bandwagon if the opportunity presented itself.

Comment

Originally posted by BWeaves View Post
                        I guess I'm wondering what you are really looking for in terms of size, and what sorts of pockets, zippered pouches, etc. you are expecting. Did you want this to open like a clamshell, or just zip across the top like a makeup pouch? What size is too big? What size is too small? Can you give exact dimensions? Do the interior pockets or pouches have to close with a zipper or just be open pockets?

Everyone has made excellent suggestions and they don't seem to meet your needs, so I'm curious what exactly your are looking for? The more specific you are, the more likely TB may actually make it. (Can you tell I write computer code for a living? I need cold hard specs.)
                        Thanks for the replies/ideas, everyone!

In response to BWeaves's question: What I'm looking for is a bag with a variety of easily visible/accessible built-in pockets and pouches--which is why I'm not drawn to the side effect, stuff sack, organizer cube (and also why I was not fully satisfied with the large Q-kit). They're more of a catch-all tote than a "place-for-everything-and-everything-in-its-place" type of bag. I like the built-in pouches in the Q-kit, and I like that it can be further customized with pouchkins of various sizes. What I don't like about the Q-kit is that the colors and cross on the front are too blatantly emblazoned as a first aid kit. (Secondarily, they're a little too big.)

Here are my proposed solutions:

1. Easiest fix: add a version of the first aid kit that's exactly the same design, but with no cross icon, and in some popular, all-purpose color (navy? verde? gray?). Add pouchkins in a matching color or a generic color like grey, for those who wish to customize.

2. Better, less-easy fix: a "junior" version of the first aid kit-- about 75% the size of the original. Layout of pockets would be the same or similar, but size would be more like 6.5" x 4.75" x 2". (I think this would be just large enough to still accommodate the single and double pouchkins, but not the leaf. Again, these items should be offered in an all-purpose color with no first aid cross.

3. Or, if we're waving our magic wands... a whole new item: a Tom Bihn version of the "pocket organizer pouches" offered by Vanquest or Maxpedition. I ended up deciding Tom Bihn doesn't currently offer what I'm looking for. So, since my original post, I ordered a Vanquest PPM Husky 2.0. I like its assortment of semi-elastic loops, and it is the perfect size for what I want (6.5” x 4.75” x 1”). It's not a Tom Bihn, though, which is a bummer. :-( But it's getting outfitted with Tom Bihn accessories. I replaced the zipper pulls with some leftover ultraviolet cord; and I have two mini organizer pouches on order from TB that will hold flat things like bandaids, pocket mirror, squashed medical gloves, etc.

Here's my outfitted pouch:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender(2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	302101

Not sure if I'm allowed to post links to non-TB content, but you can find pictures of the empty pouch on the manufacturer's website.

Comment

Working...
                        X