Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,586   Posts: 188,399   Members: 6,562   Active Members: 320
Welcome to our newest member, FlorBeadle.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking your collective wisdom to pick out business bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking your collective wisdom to pick out business bag

Hi folks,

I’ve read through post after post, but am still a bit stuck and could use the collective wisdom of all of you here.

I need a one-bag solution that can pack two suits with dress shirts, one set of casual clothes, a pair of shoes, couple pairs of socks and underwear, toiletry bag, and a laptop with a few papers. Essentially, a two night business bag. I’m torn between the Tri-Star, Western Flyer, or Aeronaut 30 or 45. Smaller the better, but don’t want to be cramming stuff in.

Ideally I would get the Aeronaut 30 and a Daylight Briefcase (and put the brief case in the main pouch of the Aeronaut, then take it out and use for the day when the Aeronaut is in the hotel room). I could also put the Briefcase in the Tri-Star middle pouch, but that seems like a big bag and overkill for two-nights. From what I read, fitting the shoes and not totally mangling the suits is what I’m most concerned with. I’d like a touch of room to spare … not have to stress about packing it perfectly just so.

Thanks for the tips!

DLBC and A30 seem like a winning combo to me!
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Comment

What size are your shoes and suits? My husband tried to get his size 14 shoes and a 44 long suit plus other necessary travel items into the Western Flyer and it didn't fit. He does okay with the Brain Bag (36L capacity) as long as he wears his bulkiest shoes.
      current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Comment

For me, the Western Flyer and Tristar are the preferred business options. Simply because their squarer shape and look are more fitting to business equipment & clothing and look more appropriate in a work environment in my opinion.

I think the Western Flyer is a better overnighter (when going very light) but the Tristar has that extra flexibility for larger amounts of clothes and shoes. Especially suits which will benefit from the slightly larger square cross-section.

And don't worry about the Tristar being 'big' the A30 and A45 are both longer so the Tristar is the 'middle' option and very close to the A30 size anyway.

If you mostly do 1-2 days then you'll probably get away with the Western Flyer, 2-5 the Tristar. I will always reach for the Tristar first but use the Western Flyer if I want to go light.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

Hard to offer advice as you left out the most important info,how big are your things?

The T.S. is really the Perfect Bag in my experience,it never looks too big or small to me and can easily keep business and clothes separate unlike the A bags which have no real provision for a computer at all.

If your suits fit into a W.F. I would still get the T.S.!

Comment

To me, the clincher is that you need to bring a laptop and papers.

I have a WF, and it'll do a suit in the back with your other clothes and the shoes and toiletries in the front, but laptop and papers? You might be able to get the laptop into the backpack strap compartment if you leave the backpack straps out.

If it were me, to one bag it with your items, I'd get a TS. It has a dedicated laptop compartment, and then you don't have to worry about your suit getting squished.

I just swapped my A30 for an A45. I thought I wanted an A30 because the A45 sounded huge, but the A30 was always too small. Not in volume, but in dimensions. It just didn't fit my packing cubes. Even the A30 packing cubes were too small for my packing style. The D36 (the medium Road Duffle) is just that bit bigger (longer/wider) that packing was easier. I just got the A45 today, and while I do not think I'll stuff it full, the dimensions fit my clothing better as far as folding suits are concerned.

I also just got a Briggs & Riley Transcend clamshell cabin bag, which looks a bit like a briefcase, and is just between the WF and TS in size. It's a bit like a WF with a Cadet front on it.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ_Bihner View Post
              Hi folks,
              I’ve read through post after post, but am still a bit stuck and could use the collective wisdom of all of you here.

I need a one-bag solution that can pack
              - two suits
              - 2 dress shirts
              - one set of casual clothes
              - a pair of shoes
              - couple pairs of socks and underwear
              - toiletry bag
              - a laptop with a few papers.

Essentially, a two night business bag. I’m torn between the Tri-Star, Western Flyer, or Aeronaut 30 or 45. Smaller the better, but don’t want to be cramming stuff in.

Ideally I would get the Aeronaut 30 and a Daylight Briefcase (and put the brief case in the main pouch of the Aeronaut, then take it out and use for the day when the Aeronaut is in the hotel room). I could also put the Briefcase in the Tri-Star middle pouch, but that seems like a big bag and overkill for two-nights. From what I read, fitting the shoes and not totally mangling the suits is what I’m most concerned with. I’d like a touch of room to spare … not have to stress about packing it perfectly just so.
              Do you really need to pack 2 suits plus casual clothes? What about the clothes you wear the first day? I assume those would be one of the outfits you listed as packed but maybe not.

That definitely sounds like a lot for the A30 or WF. I can do 2 nights with the WF but typically with only 1 suit or sport's coat packed. If you need to pack that much, I would suggest the TS though it may be tight depending on the sizes for the shoes, laptop and suits. I would think all of those clothes in the back section would be a tight fit. The front would hold shoes, toiletries, under-things, possibly some chargers and such. As for a DLBC, may not be necessary if you don't mind carrying the TS when its mostly empty though that may add some padding if you don't have a cache or similar type sleeve. If you have a thinner laptop, you could actually put something like a packing folder with shirts or pants in the middle section to help spread things out also. The ballistic would hold its shape fine but the halcyon might flop around a bit more if all you have is the laptop in it. I had a ballistic TS but eventually switch to a ballistic WF. If I needed more than would fit in the WF, I use a roller plus gear bag (WF, Timbuk2 messenger or S19/25) but 80-90% of my business trips are 1-2 nights. I've yet to have a good reason to want to carry 2 separate bags vs 1 carry and 1 roller.

Comment

For business travel I started with a TS but it didn't work for me for two reasons: 1- the compartments were too shallow to hold two suites, dress shoes and papers+computer. Remember that the sections borrow space from each other; 2- I found that fully loaded it was way too heavy since I put all my clothes and work papers/computer in it.
                I now use a halcyon WF in backpack mode for my suits/shoes/toiletries etc and I use a Cocoa DLBC cross body or on my shoulder for my books/papers/computer etc. the WF panels are deep enough to handle my dress shoes and it can hold two dress suits + shirts etc without barreling out. I love the DLBC as it is the perfect minimal briefcase for professional and casual environments.
                I thought I wouldn't like carrying two bags but this setup is very easy as the weight of the paper and computer are separated from my clothing bag.
                I am a 5'8" male with size US 9 dress shoes.
                If you really want to carry one bag I suggest the A45 plus the DLBC which you would carry inside the main compartment of the A45.
                DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
                “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Comment

Every time I hear, suits, I think A45.

Maverick made a wonderful video about packing a suit in an A45.

Two, might be much, unless the jackets are summer fabric weight, or you wear one and pack one.

Comment

Originally posted by backpack View Post
                    Every time I hear, suits, I think A45.
                    FWIW, I can easily 2 two wool suits and all the side dishes including shoes in my WF. You can wear a 3rd suit and a 4th suit can go in an S25 along with other stuff. The A45 is not a good business bag for me and how I pack. (I'm 6'2, 12.5 shoes, 200lbs)

Comment

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post
                      FWIW, I can easily 2 two wool suits and all the side dishes including shoes in my WF. You can wear a 3rd suit and a 4th suit can go in an S25 along with other stuff. The A45 is not a good business bag for me and how I pack. (I'm 6'2, 12.5 shoes, 200lbs)
                      GrussGott, would you mind posting a packing video or pictures to explain your packing technique(s), I sure would love to be able to copy it to fit suits in my TriStar.

Comment

GrussGott, would you mind posting a packing video or pictures to explain your packing technique(s), I sure would love to be able to copy it to fit suits in my TriStar.
                        Sure - I posted this elsewhere, and am reposting here, does this help?

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post
                        Yes, I kind of do a roll-fold, and I use an eagle creek folder which fits perfectly in the back pocket of the WF (or you can use 2 folders, one for suits, one for everything else, I've done that too and it's a bit easier but takes a bit more room). Black Halcyon is much more forgiving if you're going to stuff full.

(1.) Use this technique to fold the jackets. Then lay one into the folder with the shoulder pads to the left and one with shoulders to the right

(2.) Roll the suit pants from the cuffs up to the top - I will also usually put two ties in one of the pants. So hold the pants by the cuff lengthwise so the waist by the floor - now get the creases all set. Then hold the ties by the small end on the cuff so they run the length of the pants, then tightly roll up taking care to keep the creases aligned and always as the edge. The two pants rolls will fit in between the shoulder pads.

(3.) Pack the shirts on top or around the suits. I have iron free cotton white shirts that I just fold using the folder template ... but you can also put the shirts down first, put the suits and pants on top, and then fold the shirts around the bundle. If you wear undershirts (I do), they go on top too. Then compress and use the folder's compression to lock 'er up tight.

(4.) Undies and socks stuff into the shoes, one on each side of the front pocket - I'm a size 12.5 so they have to lean in. I use resort newspaper door bags as shoe bads Dobb kit goes next to one shoe and then I carry a full size bluetooth speaker next to the other shoe (it's my white noise machine)

(5.) Once you get to your hotel just unpack and hang everything up and any wrinkles fall out. It's actually pretty amazing.

Then I wear a 3rd suit and if I need other clothes (like gym clothes, sweater, casual stuff) they go into my synapse 25 along with my Pilot that gets folded in half and put in the bottom (Once i did a 4th suit in there!). In the bottom S25 pocket I have a pretty big electronics kit in an SC that has batteries, a router, a thousand cables, power adapters, etc. I also carry a PCSB inside of the S25 with my full size B&W bluetooth headphones and an in-flight ditty kit (SC-mini: food, batteries, cables, med kit, wipes, etc) which I clip onto the seat back. If I need a 4th day of business casual plus all the other then I clip the PCSB to the outside of the WF.

I've never been stopped anywhere, even with the PCSB on the outside because the whole package is so small. A few times during standby horrors I've taken out my water bottle and a sweater or coat to make the S25 as small and as flat as possible. You can even let out the S25's shoulder straps and wrap it around the outside of the WF, and then wear both shoulder straps so it all looks like one bag! All kinds of tricks

Seriously, the WF is the best travel bag Bihn makes.

It took me awhile to figure it out, but now that i'm dialed I can get more business stuff in there than I can in my A45 simply because of the great design.
                        Last edited by GrussGott; 09-27-2017, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks so much, it is really helpful!

I need to watch that video about 100 times to get it right, and practice the folding jacket, using a teflon like fabric jacket, or an old one, then, practice your pants folding technique.

How many socks do you fit in your shoes?
                          Last edited by backpack; 09-28-2017, 01:21 PM.

Comment

I need to watch that video about 100 times to get it right, and practice ... How many socks do you fit in your shoes?
                            the jacket thing is really easy - basically you're using the slippery liner to prevent the wrinkles. My thing is, once I get the jacket in half (with the shoulder pads pushed back through) I shake-and-smooth, shake-and-smooth to get the sleeves nice and flat.

What's funny is that right after I posted this I had to get something out of my WF (which I usually leave half packed) and realized I'd left 2 suits in there for 8 days! Wool suits! I took them out and one had a sleeve wrinkle and both had minor jacket creases from the fold over (the pants and ties were fine). After a week they're ok, but I can still see the wrinkle so I might to try some light steam, but the fold creases fell out just fine. One way to avoid the fold-over is to roll the jacket but after doing this a bunch of times it's more trouble that it solves for my suits.

As for the socks ... good question, I don't know. sometimes I'll put some socks in the folder and sometimes just shove them in open spaces in the back since the BT speaker doesn't take up the full space and the shoes have to lean so there's space behind them too.

One trip, a companion had a hard side suiter and his clothes were wrinkled! He was stunned I got everything into two 26L backpacks with room to spare and he was wrinkled AND checking bags. and i had a work bag! (the pilot)

The WF is so small that it can jam into seemingly full overhead bins too - on standbys I've had gate agents grab me when i'm 10th in line because everyone in front of me has a roller. In those scenarios I'll wear the S25 high and then let out the WF strap so it fits over my butt and under the S25 while I'm standing there. Leaves my arms free and I look like a light and easy passenger to get that last seat

I also carry grocery bags in the front water-bottle pocket of the WF and various odds and ends in the other pockets - including one of those hook-carabiner things in case I have to hang my bags anywhere.
                            Last edited by GrussGott; 09-29-2017, 09:19 PM.

Comment

I use the Tri-Star and a Synapse 25 together. Basically, big clothes items in the Tri-Star and non-clothes items and smaller-sized clothes (or a pair of shoes) items in the Synapse 25. Works very well for me.

I know that you are looking for a one-bag solution, but thought I'd share this idea for a 1.5 bag solution. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X