Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,495   Posts: 187,475   Members: 6,456   Active Members: 329
Welcome to our newest member, Hungry.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synapse 30 or 35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synapse 30 or 35

Is there any chance of a larger Synapse backpack being made? I would like something between 30 and 40L to replace my Aeronaut 45 which i find is to large for me and doesn’t carry well when full even with a frame sheet i added.
    I’m so tempted to buy a Go Ruck GR2 on the Black Friday special but would prefer to stick with Tom Bihn.

@Chubbs have you considered a Brain Bag? Everyone in my family loves ours, it’s great to carry and swallows so much stuff without feeling cumbersome
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Comment

I second what @DeBru writes. The Brain Bag is 36L. It can also be cinched down when not needing all the space:

Here it is Full (Current version):

Click image for larger version

Name:	BB_Full_Cinched.png
Views:	1
Size:	511.9 KB
ID:	302384

Here it is as my EDC (2004 older version) - only 1 of the 2 sections used:

@ilkyway has some good pictures of her Brain bag on her male "Model" (Husband). I love this particular picture - I do not think he could hold anything more TB related except perhaps a Travel Tray as a Fez cap!

Hope this helps

Cheers!
      Last edited by tpnl; 11-22-2017, 12:34 PM.
      TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

Do NOT put ideas into his head tpnl! On our wedding day he thought it was fun to put the wool hat of my seven year old daughter on his head.

:-D
        Ilkyway
        “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

@llyway What color gray is that synapse that your husband is carrying? I LOVE that color

Comment

Originally posted by kirbysgirl View Post
            @llyway What color gray is that synapse that your husband is carrying? I LOVE that color
            Hi kibysgirl and welcome to the forums!

It is Grey Cordura a colour right now not available in this backpack. But the Daylight Backpack comes in it.

Ilkyway

PS: I have not seen a cloud backpack in person but that might be equally nice. It is also a neutral grey.
            “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkyway View Post
              Hi kibysgirl and welcome to the forums!

It is Grey Cordura a colour right now not available in this backpack. But the Daylight Backpack comes in it.

Ilkyway

PS: I have not seen a cloud backpack in person but that might be equally nice. It is also a neutral grey.
              @Ilkyway,

Thank you so much. I have been trying to find good pictures of the cloud color.

kirbysgirl

Comment

@kirbysgirl I took a comparison picture of Grey Cordura (the backpack) vs Cloud (the material swach):

Both greys are neutral with now hue of colour to them as far as I can tell. I would say they come quite close to each other.

Ilkyway

PS: sorry for the detour from the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

From what I can see in photos does it have two main compartments rather than one large one like the synapses?
                  That’s the main thing that has put me off it. Can you fit large packing cubes in there?

Comment

Originally posted by Chubbs View Post
                    From what I can see in photos does it have two main compartments rather than one large one like the synapses?
                    That’s the main thing that has put me off it. Can you fit large packing cubes in there?
                    If you mean the Brain Bag: the two main compartments are equally roomy than the one on the Synapse or very very close to it. So you do not loose but gain another simelar main compartment.

Ilkyway

Comment

Yes I was meaning the brain bag. Could you please tell me if a passport fits in the top pocket?

Comment

My Canadian passport fits (~3.75 x5 inches) easily in the BB top front pocket with room to spare. I can also easily fit my Samsung Note 2 in a protective case. I would suggest that most if not all large phones can fit in the top pocket (YMMV). The pocket zipper has an 8" opening. The pocket itself is trapezoidal with the bottom being 6" long and the parallel top being 9" long and 5" high. You could probably squeeze in larger items as the side walls are fabric. The pocket is not like an envelope in structure and has side walls to it so it can hold a lot. It was very convenient in a few of my trips with my BB.

As an EDC, the top pocket is my convenient "Junk drawer" if you know what I mean I love the size and that it is protected from rain by a top flap as well - keeping things dry.

Hope this helps
                        Cheers!
                        TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

To add, my US passport in a Tom Bihn Passport Pouch also fits in the top pocket with my iPhone 7+ in a Loopy case. Still some room for chapstick, some small chocolate, earbuds, and a bullet pen.
                          Boots, Bags, and Beer. (And Coffee)

Comment

Thanks for your answers everyone. I like having my passport and boarding pass on top when I’m travelling. I would still prefer if the main compartment was one instead of two but, I think I might have to try one when a colour I like becomes available.

Comment

I find that unless I am trying to fit something that has its smallest dimension > 4", the 2 compartments work great to add some basic organization - e.g. work stuff in one compartment, clothes in the other or dirty items in 1 compartment, clean in the other, etc. Even items ~5" thick are ok as the divider between compartments is fabric and can stretch. The 2 compartments also helps with the "everything fall to the bottom of the bag" syndrome as items are held up a bit more in 2 compartments as opposed to 1.

Good luck in your search and hope you color comes in - perhaps email/call TB customer service to see if your colorway is on the schedule to be made.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X