Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,581   Posts: 188,335   Members: 6,543   Active Members: 290
Welcome to our newest member, AndrewGxb0.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synapse 25 + Sleeping bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

I'm going on a 6 day swag camping tour through outback Australia, and we can only bring x1 15kg bag which should contain a sleeping bag, or have a sleeping bag attached. As an Aussie myself I'll be exploring my backyard and won't need to pack a lot. I don't own any traditional bulky backpacker gear, but I do have a Synapse 25 which would be perfect except for the sleeping bag requirement!

What are some ways I could attach a sleeping bag to a Synapse 25? Would prefer not to buy another bag, unless it's TB Are there any sleeping bag brands/styles you'd recommend for summer camping?

The HsJ is one option. The bottom of the main bag is sized to hold a sleeping bag, but it might be bigger than you’d like or need. The Guide’s Pack could also work with the use of some lash straps, as could the Guide’s Edition Synapse. On a regular Synapse 25, it might be tougher to bring a sleeping bag but I image you could work some way of lashing the sleeping bag on the bottom webbing loop and then perhaps the waist loops. You could make some sort of cradle to keep it tied tight.

On the sleeping bag topic, I am a big fan of down quilts rather than bags as when down is compressed (as it is when you’re in a sleeping bag), it doesn’t provide much insulation. Now in the summer, that’s probably not a big deal, but no matter the season a comparable quilt is going to be much lighter than an equivalent sleeping bag. Pair the quilt with a nice sleeping pad or a hammock if that’s your thing, and you’ll be just as comfy as in a sleeping bag in my experience. As to brands and recommendations, I don’t know what is available in Australia nor what your budget is, but there’s a company called Enlightened Equipment that makes spectacular backpacking bags and quilts. Plus, they aren’t too far from me in MN so I am a little biased. I’ve also heard good things about Wiggy’s sleeping bags. They’re more affordable than EE quilts and bags and are mostly synthetic vs. down, but they too have a good following.
    Boots, Bags, and Beer. (And Coffee)

Comment

How about an inflatable sleeping mat? I had a thermarest one for over 12 years before it finally died, so they are more durable than they look.
      (It helps if you do not camp on plants with thorns [emoji6]which is how mine died [emoji53])
      Loads of companies make similar products.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Comment

My set up for summer camping is a shortie ultralight Thermarest, which rolls down to something a bit smaller than a 1-L Nalgene bottle, and a light sleeping bag which compresses to roughly a 2-L pop bottle. These would fit easily inside an S25, depending on how much other stuff you were carrying.

If it’s cold enough to warrant a heavier bag, it’ll probably still work but a compression sack can help a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by terayon View Post
          My set up for summer camping is a shortie ultralight Thermarest, which rolls down to something a bit smaller than a 1-L Nalgene bottle, and a light sleeping bag which compresses to roughly a 2-L pop bottle. These would fit easily inside an S25, depending on how much other stuff you were carrying.

If it’s cold enough to warrant a heavier bag, it’ll probably still work but a compression sack can help a lot.
          Cool set up. Any links to these products?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a SnugPack Jungle Bag that is rated to 55 degrees f. And it just drops right into the bottom pocket.
            It is a rugged well made bag and has a netting face closure in case you need to lock down against bugs too!
            I combine this with a Tyvec Bivy Bag and I am good for another 10-15 degrees and waterproof too!

Jungle Bag

Tyvek Bivy Sack for Camping/Hiking: 10 Steps

https://www.2gosystems.com/collectio...nt=33614727433

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by AVService; 12-12-2017, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by edward.dennihy View Post
              Cool set up. Any links to these products?
              Well, I’ve had mine for more (um, quite a bit more) than a decade, so these aren’t the exact ones I have, but my sleeping pad is quite similar to the Thermarest ProLite Plus (short size):

https://www.rei.com/product/881573/t...s-sleeping-pad

The manufacturer of my sleeping bag is no longer around, but there are all kinds of summer bags on the market. I found this one at REI (to be clear, I am not endorsing this as I have no experience with it):

https://www.rei.com/product/846001/m...e-sleeping-bag

ETA: Sorry, I was going off mental images and I overstated how compact my stuff is. Here are some photos to represent them more accurately.

Sleeping pad and Nalgene:

Sleeping bag and 2-L pop bottle:

This is the bag manufacturer, about whom I was also wrong - they are still making gear.

It’s not a fancy bag by any stretch but it does the job. This is the closest thing I could find:

Woods? Adventurer Barrel Sleeping Bag, 0°C | Canadian Tire

They fit nicely in the S25 with room for a complete change of clothing and an extra warm layer (a down sweater, for example) in the main compartment. The sleeping bag can be compressed significantly down from what is shown here:

The sleeping pad can also fit in the bottom front pocket. There would be room for a light layer in the pocket with it.
              Last edited by terayon; 12-12-2017, 06:30 PM. Reason: Corrections of inaccurate volume estimates

Comment

Originally posted by terayon View Post
                Well, I’ve had mine for more (um, quite a bit more) than a decade, so these aren’t the exact ones I have, but my sleeping pad is quite similar to the Thermarest ProLite Plus (short size):

https://www.rei.com/product/881573/t...s-sleeping-pad

The manufacturer of my sleeping bag is no longer around, but there are all kinds of summer bags on the market. I found this one at REI (to be clear, I am not endorsing this as I have no experience with it):

https://www.rei.com/product/846001/m...e-sleeping-bag

ETA: Sorry, I was going off mental images and I overstated how compact my stuff is. Here are some photos to represent them more accurately.

Sleeping pad and Nalgene:

Sleeping bag and 2-L pop bottle:

This is the bag manufacturer, about whom I was also wrong - they are still making gear.

It’s not a fancy bag by any stretch but it does the job. This is the closest thing I could find:

Woods? Adventurer Barrel Sleeping Bag, 0°C | Canadian Tire

They fit nicely in the S25 with room for a complete change of clothing and an extra warm layer (a down sweater, for example) in the main compartment. The sleeping bag can be compressed significantly down from what is shown here:

The sleeping pad can also fit in the bottom front pocket. There would be room for a light layer in the pocket with it.
                Those are awesome and seem like they have paid for themselves and then some. Thanks for sharing and adding the photos. Much appreciated!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks all for the recommendations! I ended up getting a Snugpak Travelpak Traveller sleeping bag which fitted perfectly in the Synapse 25. I had the smallest bag on tour

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0e33kuos4y...%20pm.jpg?dl=0

Comment

Working...
                  X