Trying to love my Halcyon Makers Bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to love my Halcyon Makers Bag

I had been using a Cath Kidston messenger style bag 1.5 years. It has 2 pockets in front, 2 pockets on the inside main compartment on the front side, and 2 side pockets on left and right near where the straps are. I really liked using it for work (casual), as it fit A4 sized papers and my iPad. Had pockets for umbrella, access keycards, workpass, tissue packs, COP with medicine, pens, phone. The flap has 2 buckle with magnets for closure. One thing I wish for was a place for my water bottle, or coffee flask.

After using a original black halcyon S19 for 2 years, and recently acquired 2 SCB in original halcyon and mars red (which I both love), I wanted to get a bag to replace the Cath Kidston (slowly but steadily, all my bags are TB). It was a toss up between PU and MB. I reckon the MB was more similar in design to what I was using. I did not consider the Pilot as it looked more like luggage to me (imho). Furthermore, I had read that the original black halcyon was retiring. So walah, in went a original black halcyon MB together with a mars red S25 and Nordic SK. That was in Oct 2017.

Fast forward to 2018. I started using the MB on 2 Jan as a start of new year gift to myself. When I loaded it up with the same stuff in my Cath Kidston, the first thing I noted was how the bag bulges. The 4 small pockets in the front were not as useful, as they could not fit the mini COP nor my tissue packs. I just threw the tissue packs in the zipped section in front of the 4 small pockets. Mini COP went in the middle pocket in the main compartment. And there were no slots for pens, which I've gotten use to in the S19, S25, SCB and SK. So I just stick them in one of the small pockets, which wasn't too bad.

The next "surprise" was when I tried to carry the bag. The bag "slouches". I do not have a laptop or Freudian slip or file to keep the bag in shape, but I wasn't expecting this. Maybe it's the white lines that make it more obvious. Think this won't happen with the ballistic, but I really did not have such problems with S19 and SCB.

If I put my water bottle on the left side, which is further away from the buckle, it "exposes" itself.

When I carried the bag by the handle, the situation becomes precarious as things can really drop out.

I can easily reach in from the long side of the flap to put my phone (Samsung Note 8) in the middle pocket, but the flap will stay open unless I arrange it back properly.

This is the 3rd day I'm using the bag. I'm really trying to love it. I really do. I didn't want the ballistic version as I felt the material was thick and hence felt heavy to me. I'm 5'1". (I had sold a Steel/Island A30 precisely for that reason. Yes, there was ever a Steel/Island combi.)

Any advice? Something I'm doing wrong? Or simply this bag is not suitable for me and I should sell it?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I had similar issues with my halcyon MB and ended up replacing it with a ballistic one which I love. I found the MCB FS to be helpful in organizing the MB as well as adding some structure. I tend to carry more stuff which also helps it maintain its shape. I normally prefer halcyon but not in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy G View Post
      I had similar issues with my halcyon MB and ended up replacing it with a ballistic one which I love. I found the MCB FS to be helpful in organizing the MB as well as adding some structure. I tend to carry more stuff which also helps it maintain its shape. I normally prefer halcyon but not in this case.
      I prefer halcyon too! But it's really not working in the MB. I might just give it to my son to use as a dedicated laptop bag to carry his gaming stuff. The lighter material would be good since the laptop will be heavy.

I wish I had test trial the bag before I cut off the tag. Sigh... didn't think I would regret getting this bag. And I just don't think I will get one in ballistic. As it is right now, I feel the weight.

Maybe the PU in halcyon...

Comment

Sorry you’re having this issue but thanks for the pictures. I’ve been drawn to the MB but worried how secure things would be without a zip top.
        Synik 22, Truck, Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC HLT2, Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Comment

Originally posted by Traveltech View Post
          Sorry you’re having this issue but thanks for the pictures. I’ve been drawn to the MB but worried how secure things would be without a zip top.
          Think the ballistic is fine. I read somewhere in the forum someone had shake the bag down with some lose items in the main compartment (not pockets), and only a small thumb drive dropped out.

The problem is with halcyon... I really love the original black halcyon. Unique yet classy. Not just black.

Comment

Sorry you are having issues - as another 'fun size' woman it's not easy sometimes, but I have to say I love your Totoro accessory.
            Last edited by Vecturist; 01-04-2018, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vecturist View Post
              Sorry you are having issues - as another 'fun size' woman it's not easy sometimes, but I have to say I love you Totoro accessory.
              I love Totoro too! Totoro came home with me from Tokyo Station. It has a retractable wire. I have my transport tap card in it. So I just pull and tap and back it goes. There is a zipped area, for coins I suppose, but I don't put anything in it.

And it hooks on perfectly to the O-ring. Perfect.

Comment

Panda2mama, if it helps, I'm on the other end of the size spectrum (round, tall, plus-sized), but I'm about to return a ballistic MB for similar reasons. I've been coveting an aubergine MB forever as THE bag I've been waiting for, but I'm finding the carry of it in person to be lacking for my personal purposes/shape. The ballistic doesn't slouch nearly as much as halcyon in your photos, for sure, but I'm finding it still does slouch some, and the bottom droops down awkwardly when filled.

I think maybe the bag is too deep for the shape/structure for me, so I end up with this weird situation where the bag height-wise is too flexible (droops), but the bag width-wise isn't flexible enough, so it doesn't hug my body well -- even in ballistic, it's too stiff one way, not stiff enough in the other. The floppiness you're seeing looks a lot like the way my LCB slouches, which works for the LCB because of its size and shape, but not so much for the MB. If I really pack more stuff into the MB, the shape stays better like Amy G. said, but if I'm packing that much weight into the bag, I'm more likely to carry a backpack. Aand tbh, I'm finding, like you, that in addition to how it looks, it makes the bag feel like it weighs more: I've tried the same carry in both a Pilot and MB (and a Co-Pilot, too), and even though the Pilot weighs more, the MB feels heavier. Maybe if the MB were more shallow or less tall/wide, I think it might sit better, but sadly, for me, it just doesn't work either (ETA: despite being such a beautiful bag!). I'm debating trying a Daylight Briefcase instead to see if its different combo of depth, structure, and material might work better for me, but I admit it doesn't fit my much preferred messenger/flap-y aesthetic.
                Last edited by kmw; 01-04-2018, 08:48 AM.

Comment

This thread has me seriously reconsidering my thoughts of getting the MB. I'd been wondering about its "structurelessness" and the observations here confirm it's probably not the right bag for me. The Stowaway works well because it's so structured (for those times when my SCB isn't big enough to carry all my writing tools).
                  Small Cafe Bag in Deep Blue/Grass - Medium Cafe Bag in Alphaviolet/Cloud - Pop Tote in Olive; Side Kicks in Aubergine/Island Halcyon, Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - Side Effect in Nordic Halcyon/Northwest Sky Halcyon - S25 in Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - Luminary 15 in Nebulous Gray/Island

Comment

I sold my ballistic MB for the same reason. It was Verde/ north west sky and such a beautiful colour combination but somehow the organisation just did not work for me and I *really* hated the four little pockets in the front.

I didn't have the sag problem but I did notice my water bottle exposing itself. It rains a lot here so any messenger style bag with even a hint of inadequate flap coverage goes straight back.

I did love the double water bottle holder and overall style of the bag. I think if I had been carrying different things it might have worked.

I replaced it with a pilot which is perfect for me. Just not quite as pretty [emoji846]

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chaimonkey View Post
                      This thread has me seriously reconsidering my thoughts of getting the MB. I'd been wondering about its "structurelessness" and the observations here confirm it's probably not the right bag for me. The Stowaway works well because it's so structured (for those times when my SCB isn't big enough to carry all my writing tools).
                      Chaimonkey, I think the only way to really be sure is to order one and try it on. Tons of people here love their MBs, so they certainly work for them: all depends on what you're carrying, how you're shaped, etc. (Like gqb said for herself, carrying different things might have worked.) I actually prefer the less structured bags because of my body shape, so I can attest that even general preferences (or dislikes) aren't a guarantee without testing the bag in person with real-world needs.

Comment

My son doesn't want it for carrying the laptop. Too heavy he says. Prefers backpack.

I'm carrying the bag practically empty (or with the same amount of stuff I could fit in my SCB) right now to see if it molds around my body better.

If it still doesn't work, then I will have to sell it

Comment

Update: I'm still using the bag. As a gym bag as it fits my purpose right now. Clothes and towels stuffed in the main section. 2 waterbottles - yes! Internal pockets for gloves and an umbrella. Zipped front for keys, phone, wallet. The bag still slouches but I'm not bothered cos nothing important will fall out. The flap makes it easy to access my stuff like grabbing my towel or waterbottle.

Comment

Also posting these photos here for a comparison of DLBC and MB. The laptop+books that fit in DLBC can go in MB, and I can add SE+SK. Think the halcyon is more stretchy to access the pockets. No bag slouching cos the laptop/books keep it in shape.

Comment

I also find my ballistic MB to be quite floppy/slouchy when I don't have a large flat object like a laptop in it, which I rarely do as I prefer to carry my laptop in a backpack. I can fit some things like my mints and lip balm in the 4 small front pockets, but I think the problem is that they're narrow, deep and aren't elasticated so there's no give, which makes them quite hard to get things in and out of. I really appreciate the water bottle pockets though, I can keep my phone in one of them which makes up for not having a back slip pocket. I'm considering shoving a ruler or something in the big zip pocket to try and combat the slouch.

Comment

Working...
                              X