No announcement yet.

Trying to love my Halcyon Makers Bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd love to hear how the slouch is with a ruler in place.

Comment

Can I suggest instead of a ruler (quite sharp). Cut one or two pieces of a cereal box. Tape the edges with a few layers of tape. And see how that goes. If it works well then you can get some high density foam and use that as a permanent fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Has anyone found a way to combat the slouching problem. I have been trying to carry different things in the main compartment but I still have that issue too. Maybe the 525 ballistic isn’t stiff enough?

Comment

Originally posted by MTeric22 View Post
          Has anyone found a way to combat the slouching problem. I have been trying to carry different things in the main compartment but I still have that issue too. Maybe the 525 ballistic isn’t stiff enough?
          I think the suggestions given in your other thread are about all we can suggest.

https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...rs-bag-support

If you've tried them and are still having a problem, it might not be the bag for you.
          Last edited by Surrealle; 07-11-2021, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrealle View Post

I think the suggestions given to you in your other thread are about all we can suggest.

If you've tried them and are still having a problem, it might not be the bag for you.
            I haven’t tried them all quite yet. I am trying to get a good idea of my next game plan before I just start throwing money at things that may or may not work. Thank you for your expertise and assistance.

Comment

These last three posts are really about requests to stiffen the Maker's Bag in 525d Ballistic Nylon, and I answered with some suggestions in the earlier threads started by MTeric22 and pointed to by Surrealle. However, I'll add some more suggestions and photographs here -- specifically for carrying the Halcyon version (my original purchase shown in debut day posts for the forum are in 1050d Aubergine with Steel Halcyon lining; but I also like the Original Halcyon). I will point out that there has been previous forum discussion back in 06-02-2016 about the differences between Halcyon and 1050d Ballistic Nylon versions. See the Makers Bag Fabric thread started by sarahlin
              https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...ers-bag-fabric

If you read through the discussion, notice that a number of the posters mention that they have the Maker's Bag in both fabric combinations – Halcyon and 1050d Ballistic Nylon. tpnl, one of the forum mods at the time, decided to get the Maker's Bag in both materials. While I believe he had originally posted a picture of the MB in Halcyon in this thread, too, although I don't currently see it after the forum move to vBulletin 5, such pictures appeared in other earlier threads. The pictures and discussion of the Nordic Halcyon Maker's Bag posted by adalangdon, another forum member with both the Aubergine 1050d Ballistic Nylon version as well as a Halcyon version.

Look through her photos. Her comment was:
              One downside of the halcyon version is that it can look pretty icky when it's stuffed. I got my Nordic/UV MB a couple of days back, and while I am liking the reduced weight and extra flexibility, I really don't like how the bag looks -- for lack of a better word-- sloppy when it's stuffed pretty full. I think the effect may be more pronounced in the Nordic version since black has a way of making everything look more streamlined, but my stuffed Nordic MB looked seriously pillow-like. This is an issue with all halcyon bags, but with the clean lines of the MB I found the look especially jarring. (Cf stuffed halcyon versions of bags like the SA or PU, which have curved surfaces.) I might actually prefer my Aubergine/Steel version of this bag. My fussy $0.02.
              She goes on to say
              My gripes about pillowy stuffed MBs aside, Nordic/UV is a winner. Heck, Nordic/whatever is a winner. How many fabrics can you say that of?!
              I'll go on to specifically address some more solutions for using the Halcyon version which address the "slouching" problem mentioned below.
              Originally posted by Surrealle View Post

I think the suggestions given in your other thread are about all we can suggest.

I haven’t tried them all quite yet. I am trying to get a good idea of my next game plan before I just start throwing money at things that may or may not work. Thank you for your expertise and assistance.
              I already referenced pictures from people who used the Freudian slip in the Maker's Bag as part of a solution (my suggestion was the medium Cafe Bag Freudian Slip as the most popular adopted version with the Maker's Bag)
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0222.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.35 MB ID:	334000
              This is my Original Halcyon Maker's Bag with Ultraviolet Halcyon interior. I already suggested that inserting Poly folders (typically with a few sheets of paper or light cardboard) into the back zippered pocket is an easy way of stiffening the back. My preferred folders are the ones that Levenger used to make (originally referenced in a post from 2006 about the Buzz), but if you want more details, see my post #12 dated 10-11-2017 from @Cristina's thread on Unexpectedly durable items? You can read all the 5-star reviews of this product, which was discontinued in 2009, through the internet archive link. The ones I bought from Levenger back in 2006 are still good. The folder that I show in the picture was a cheap version that I bought about 5 years ago for around $0.72 in a discount pile from a local stationary store. (These are not expensive solutions).

What I prefer to do is carry one or two document cases -- again the ones in the picture were picked up 8 years ago for about $5 each at Long's Drug Store in the stationary section. Has to be at least that long ago because I uploaded a picture where I used one of these in the back pocket of the Halcyon Pilot to carry papers, and keep that pocket from sagging. Although these are sized for A4 paper (which I do use when collaborating with folks in Europe, the UK, Japan, or China), I can also carry US letter size paper in there.

These document cases or boxes are popular in Japan, Taiwan, and China. They're also sometimes called project boxes (since document boxes of the sort sold in Europe and the UK are often much thicker), while these are meant to separately carry not just A4 paper, but receipts and notes, but not be voluminous. Hawaii gets a fair cross section of visitors from the Pacific region, and such stationary items are fairly easy to find.

One such box is easy to carry and also leaves room for inserting my Zojurushi thermos (SM-KHE48-PT 16oz mug)
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0226.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	334001
              ETA: Another thing you can try is using the packing board of the Eagle Creek Small (15") Spectre 2 Packing Sleeve. This is slightly large for the Maker's Bag, in that if you insert it, you won't as easily be able to attach a key strap across the two inside O-rings to make sure all parts of the bag stay covered in heavy rain. (The board does work as an exact fit to keeping the back pocket of the Halcyon Pilot from sagging. Boards from the Classic versions of the Eagle Creek Packing Sleeve will also work, but are not so nicely streamlined. (At one time you could separately order the boards as a replacement item from the Container Store, but this was only for the solid versions for the Classic Packing Sleeve)

More pictures with the Spectre 2 15" Packing Sleeve board:

Shown for size: the board from the Eagle Creek Spectre 2 15" (Small) Packing Folder in front of the Maker's Bag in Original Halcyon. In front of the board is a letter sized Poly folder lying on top of an A4 document or project box.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0223.JPG Views:	1 Size:	792.7 KB ID:	334003
              Board from 15" (Small) Eagle Creek Spectre 2 Packing Folder in Maker's Bag
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0224.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.49 MB ID:	334004
              With Zojurushi 16 oz mug
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0225.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.42 MB ID:	334005
              As noted above, this packing folder board is slightly oversized for optimal use.

I don't have any recommendations for finding these A4 project boxes, but a quick look at Amazon turned up several examples. Here are a few:

A4 File Box Portable Transparent Plastic Box Office Supplies Holder Document Paper Protector Case PP Storage Collections Container Magazine Organizers Box Case (Red)

IRISFLY 2 Pack A4 Plastic Portable Project Case Document Organizer Case, Plastic File Case Paper Protector Desk Paper Organizers Case for Magazines, Stamps, Photos, Cards(Clear)

A4 Plastic Portable Project Cases, Document File Folder Case, Transparent Paper Storage Organizer Boxes for Magazines, Photos, Cards, Files, Documents, Office Supplies (3 Pcs) (A4)

Last edited by moriond; 07-14-2021, 12:09 AM.

Comment

I understand the points being made about The Maker’s Bag slouching. But to me that seems inevitable with the relatively unreinforced bag design. Unless carrying a suitable sized laptop or folder or Freudian Slip to provide some rigidity, then this will risk to happen. To me that’s not a negative, it’s the choice of bag for a given purpose. The Maker’s Bag is great because of it’s relatively light weight and casual form and carrying style, and a bag I use quite regularly. But if I wanted a more rigid bag that doesn’t slouch then perhaps a Copilot/Pilot may be more suitable?

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                  These last three posts are really about requests to stiffen the Maker's Bag in 525d Ballistic Nylon, and I answered with some suggestions in the earlier threads started by MTeric22 and pointed to by Surrealle. However, I'll add some more suggestions and photographs here -- specifically for carrying the Halcyon version (my original purchase shown in debut day posts for the forum are in 1050d Aubergine with Steel Halcyon lining; but I also like the Original Halcyon). I will point out that there has been previous forum discussion back in 06-02-2016 about the differences between Halcyon and 1050d Ballistic Nylon versions. See the Makers Bag Fabric thread started by sarahlin
                  https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...ers-bag-fabric

If you read through the discussion, notice that a number of the posters mention that they have the Maker's Bag in both fabric combinations – Halcyon and 1050d Ballistic Nylon. tpnl, one of the forum mods at the time, decided to get the Maker's Bag in both materials. While I believe he had originally posted a picture of the MB in Halcyon in this thread, too, although I don't currently see it after the forum move to vBulletin 5, such pictures appeared in other earlier threads. The pictures and discussion of the Nordic Halcyon Maker's Bag posted by adalangdon, another forum member with both the Aubergine 1050d Ballistic Nylon version as well as a Halcyon version.

Look through her photos. Her comment was:

She goes on to say

I'll go on to specifically address some more solutions for using the Halcyon version which address the "slouching" problem mentioned below.

I already referenced pictures from people who used the Freudian slip in the Maker's Bag as part of a solution (my suggestion was the medium Cafe Bag Freudian Slip as the most popular adopted version with the Maker's Bag)
                  Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0222.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.35 MB ID:	334000
                  This is my Original Halcyon Maker's Bag with Ultraviolet Halcyon interior. I already suggested that inserting Poly folders (typically with a few sheets of paper or light cardboard) into the back zippered pocket is an easy way of stiffening the back. My preferred folders are the ones that Levenger used to make (originally referenced in a post from 2006 about the Buzz), but if you want more details, see my post #12 dated 10-11-2017 from @Cristina's thread on Unexpectedly durable items? You can read all the 5-star reviews of this product, which was discontinued in 2009, through the internet archive link. The ones I bought from Levenger back in 2006 are still good. The folder that I show in the picture was a cheap version that I bought about 5 years ago for around $0.72 in a discount pile from a local stationary store. (These are not expensive solutions).

What I prefer to do is carry one or two document cases -- again the ones in the picture were picked up 8 years ago for about $5 each at Long's Drug Store in the stationary section. Has to be at least that long ago because I uploaded a picture where I used one of these in the back pocket of the Halcyon Pilot to carry papers, and keep that pocket from sagging. Although these are sized for A4 paper (which I do use when collaborating with folks in Europe, the UK, Japan, or China), I can also carry US letter size paper in there.

These document cases or boxes are popular in Japan, Taiwan, and China. They're also sometimes called project boxes (since document boxes of the sort sold in Europe and the UK are often much thicker), while these are meant to separately carry not just A4 paper, but receipts and notes, but not be voluminous. Hawaii gets a fair cross section of visitors from the Pacific region, and such stationary items are fairly easy to find.

One such box is easy to carry and also leaves room for inserting my Zojurushi thermos (SM-KHE48-PT 16oz mug)
                  Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0226.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	334001
                  ETA: Another thing you can try is using the packing board of the Eagle Creek Small (15") Spectre 2 Packing Sleeve. This is slightly large for the Maker's Bag, in that if you insert it, you won't as easily be able to attach a key strap across the two inside O-rings to make sure all parts of the bag stay covered in heavy rain. (The board does work as an exact fit to keeping the back pocket of the Halcyon Pilot from sagging. Boards from the Classic versions of the Eagle Creek Packing Sleeve will also work, but are not so nicely streamlined. (At one time you could separately order the boards as a replacement item from the Container Store, but this was only for the solid versions for the Classic Packing Sleeve)

More pictures with the Spectre 2 15" Packing Sleeve board:

Shown for size: the board from the Eagle Creek Spectre 2 15" (Small) Packing Folder in front of the Maker's Bag in Original Halcyon. In front of the board is a letter sized Poly folder lying on top of an A4 document or project box.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0223.JPG Views:	1 Size:	792.7 KB ID:	334003
                  Board from 15" (Small) Eagle Creek Spectre 2 Packing Folder in Maker's Bag
                  Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0224.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.49 MB ID:	334004
                  With Zojurushi 16 oz mug
                  Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0225.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.42 MB ID:	334005
                  As noted above, this packing folder board is slightly oversized for optimal use.

I don't have any recommendations for finding these A4 project boxes, but a quick look at Amazon turned up several examples. Here are a few:

A4 File Box Portable Transparent Plastic Box Office Supplies Holder Document Paper Protector Case PP Storage Collections Container Magazine Organizers Box Case (Red)

IRISFLY 2 Pack A4 Plastic Portable Project Case Document Organizer Case, Plastic File Case Paper Protector Desk Paper Organizers Case for Magazines, Stamps, Photos, Cards(Clear)

A4 Plastic Portable Project Cases, Document File Folder Case, Transparent Paper Storage Organizer Boxes for Magazines, Photos, Cards, Files, Documents, Office Supplies (3 Pcs) (A4)
                  Thank you so much for your time and effort to put all of this together. I really do appreciate it. I think I will wait for the MCBFS to be restocked and give that a try. I like the fact it can be placed in the back zipper compartment. I’m just hoping it’s easy to access and utilize while in there.

Comment

Thank you so much for your time and effort to put all of this together. I really do appreciate it. I think I will wait for the MCBFS to be restocked and give that a try. I like the fact it can be placed in the back zipper compartment. I’m just hoping it’s easy to access and utilize while in there.
                    While you can slip the Medium Cafe Bag Freudian Slip (MCBFS) into the back zippered pocket of the Maker’s Bag, you can’t zip the pocket shut, and the pocket opening will limit the depth of what you can store in the Freudian Slip. Most people who use the MCBFS in a Maker’s Bag put it inside the main compartment, as can be seen in earlier replies with thread links and excerpted pictures. It’s not clear to me that you need /want to use a Freudian Slip for your purposes, so all the suggestions made above do not rely on having a Freudian Slip.

moriond

Comment

I had the impression that the Maker Bag was made, in part, for people who do plein air painting/sketching.

To do that one has to carry an art sketchbook/ pad, or a canvas or a wood panel, the last two will, for certain, remedy the slouching, as they are stiff.

A sketchbook will also be strong enough to provide backing, especially if it contains watercolor paper.

Comment

Working...
                      X