Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,530   Posts: 187,827   Members: 6,493   Active Members: 292
Welcome to our newest member, dcaisson.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

large packing cube-convertible backpack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maverick
    replied
    this is perfect!

i've packed a large cafe bag inside of my aeronaut for past trips, and this is Convertible Packing Cube/Backpack is exactly what i need as a bag at my destination!

i'm pre-ordering one and taking it with me for my trip to india this october. i'll carry it inside my aeronaut and then use it while i am in india.

i'll also be stopping in paris for the day on my way back from india - i have an 11 hour layover, so i'll use that time to go into the city. if all goes well, i will actually check in my aeronaut for the return trip and just carry this as my backpack. hopefully, it will all go well - i haven't checked in a bag for my india trips since i got the aeronaut, and have loved being able to walk right past baggage claim and proceed to customs upon my arrival .

what will i be carrying? no laptop - this is a vacation! in addition to clothing, bathroom articles and travel documents, i will have a camera, extra battery, battery charger, iphone and charger, large moleskine notebook, a pen and a book to read.

maverick

Leave a comment:

• timothy
    replied
    "And now for the new Dyneema tote... ah, shopping at and with Tom Bihn is such fun. Even more fun than that dratted Larabar addiction this forum has created!"

Indeed. I'd never heard of them before seeing them in people's "what I packed" pictures linked here, and only bought them to deplete the balance on a school-scrip debit account, but they're so good I now want them even paying with "real money."

timothy

Leave a comment:

• aiethabell
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    Those who pre-order will get their bags first, regardless if the pre-order is for pick-up in Seattle store or shipping out of state.
    OK, just bought one! Now, since I've never pre-ordered (just hopped a bus and shopped in person) I guess I'll just wait for that email telling me to get in pronto!

And now for the new Dyneema tote... ah, shopping at and with Tom Bihn is such fun. Even more fun than that dratted Larabar addiction this forum has created!

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by PM4HIRE View Post
    Darcy:

This convertible backpack is a very slick idea, I
    might even order one. And I'm retired!
    Glad you think so! It was a great bag to use on my trip to Alaska. Can't imagine not having one now!

Leave a comment:

• mrae
    replied
    This is great. I don't know how I missed this discussion. The main thing missing for me with the original one was the o ring. There are too many things here that I want to order but this and the new light bag are at the top of my list- along with the synapse.
    I have ended up using the original convertible bag in my swift for additional knitting supplies. This would be a great addition to my aeronaut.
    (I'd still like an o ring added to the original one at some point.)

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by aiethabell View Post
    How long until it is actually in the shop for the lucky locals to see/buy/do the Snoopy Dance?)
    Those who pre-order will get their bags first, regardless if the pre-order is for pick-up in Seattle store or shipping out of state.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by mrae View Post
    I have the original convertible shoulder bag. I think I missed the description of this new one. How are the straps attached?
    Can you post a picture of this?
    See the Convertible Packing Cube/Backpack page

Leave a comment:

• mrae
    replied
    convertible cube backpack

I have the original convertible shoulder bag. I think I missed the description of this new one. How are the straps attached?
    Can you post a picture of this?

Leave a comment:

• BJ Nemeth
    replied
    I had trouble picturing this or thinking much of it when I was following this thread. But now that I can see the finished product, it's ingenious!

Thanks to Hugh for the initial idea, and thanks to the Tom Bihn crew for making it happen! I plan to add one to my next order ... always nice to have an extra bag for emergencies!

Leave a comment:

• PM4HIRE
    replied
    Darcy:

This convertible backpack is a very slick idea, I
    might even order one. And I'm retired!

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    New dimensions:

Overall dimensions (as a backpack): 17.5" x 13.5" x 4.25" / 445 x 345 x 105mm

Overall dimensions (as a packing cube): 13.5" x 13.5" x 4.25" / 345 x 345 x 105mm

And for those of you who didn't receive the newsletter: Convertible Packing Cube/Backpack now available for pre-order.

Leave a comment:

• rabergnc
    replied
    Measurements correct?

The new packing-cube convertible backpack looks marvelous. I can see one now entering my life. A question - the measurements on the pre-order page are 13.5 x 8 x 3.5. In the pictures, it looks a lot larger. (The measurements given are comparable to the small Western Flyer cube.) Are the listed dimensions accurate?

Ooops - re-read the description. Seems I missed a part of it talking about the difference between the cube and pack versions. My mistake - Sorry!
    Last edited by rabergnc; 08-05-2008, 08:07 AM. Reason: I was wrong!

Leave a comment:

• timothy
    replied
    Hey! Cool entry re: this in the just-delivered email newsletter. Neat to see this go from Hugh's suggestion to a real product in an amazingly short amount of time.

timothy

Leave a comment:

• aiethabell
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    Yes! In fact, it will be available for pre-order within the next two weeks.
    Yes, indeed! Another reason I will be home by the Thursday after Labor Day.

Forget unpacking, let's go shopping at Tom Bihn! Ooh, I have an attack of the wants, here. (Oh, wait, that says PRE-Order. How long until it is actually in the shop for the lucky locals to see/buy/do the Snoopy Dance?)

Leave a comment:

• timothy
    replied
    Darcy:

Awesome, thanks for the word! This may push me towards an Aeronaut, too ... oh, soon as I find good seeds for the money tree.

timothy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X