Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,489   Posts: 187,405   Members: 6,445   Active Members: 343
Welcome to our newest member, Ironaztek.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brain Bag Review - year 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain Bag Review - year 12

Once upon a time, when my son was entering Junior High, he went through four backpacks a year. After some hesitance, we bought him a Brain Bag because he could cinch it down smaller when he didn't need that much space, and it could grow with him as well as holding a winter coat when he didn't want it but teachers wanted to know he had one. Imagine, for a moment, the kinds of wear that an active lad might put on their backpack...

The Lad is about to enter his senior year of college.

Status of the Brain Bag? It's still packing in the miles. It's been to Germany twice, to Spain, across the country on every family vacation for twelve .years. Crushed, dragged, spilled on, spilled in, hosed out, smashed into tiny European underseats... rinse and repeat. Is there some wear? Well, it's broken-in nicely, but there is nothing whatsoever wrong with the backpack. The corners are sound. The straps are fine. He rarely bothers to pack any other bag, because he can go ten days out of the Brain Bag without issue.

This bag is probably not indestructible, but you can't prove it by my Lad's bag.
    Ego in Cardinal/Steel, Ristretto in Plum/Wasabi, Side Effect in Plum/Wasabi, Imago in Navy/Cork/Wasabi, Cafe Bags in Azalea, Turquoise, and Linen, TB Wallet, misc. pouches, and son's Brain Bag in Steel

What a great story!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Comment

That story just illustrates that not all bags are built the same! Various brands sort of look the same to the casual observer, but there is obviously a lot more to it, in the details.

Comment

I’ve been debating grabbing a B.B. for a while as my S25 is just too small to one bag it when I’m traveling, at least comfortably. I just can’t get over how floppy it seems in most of the photos I’ve seen. I love how well trimme up the s25 looks whether packed out or barely packed. How well does the B.B. work for you when cinched down?

Comment

So awesome.

Comment

Thank you for sharing this with us @Sera -- I'm glad the Brain Bag has served your son well for so many years (and is still going strong!)

I'm making sure Tom gets to see this + we'll read it out loud to the crew at our next company meeting.
            Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

This is an update for year 15 of The Lad's adventures with his Brain Bag. The Brain Bag went with him to his Peace Corps post in Namibia, was his everyday carry and packed his groceries from the nearest 'shopping town'. It gave him extra capacity when he was evacuated on extremely short notice due to Covid-19. This fall it is headed with him to law school. It's still going strong. It still shows virtually no wear. And I will NEVER stop talking about that bag and how it has gone with him the whole way and been his constant resource.
              Ego in Cardinal/Steel, Ristretto in Plum/Wasabi, Side Effect in Plum/Wasabi, Imago in Navy/Cork/Wasabi, Cafe Bags in Azalea, Turquoise, and Linen, TB Wallet, misc. pouches, and son's Brain Bag in Steel

Comment

Originally posted by Sera View Post
                This is an update for year 15 of The Lad's adventures with his Brain Bag. The Brain Bag went with him to his Peace Corps post in Namibia, was his everyday carry and packed his groceries from the nearest 'shopping town'. It gave him extra capacity when he was evacuated on extremely short notice due to Covid-19. This fall it is headed with him to law school. It's still going strong. It still shows virtually no wear. And I will NEVER stop talking about that bag and how it has gone with him the whole way and been his constant resource.
                That is awesome!

Comment

what a great story...and great to know he will be at Law school too. You should post a pic of the bag!

Comment

Working...
                  X