Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,501   Posts: 187,535   Members: 6,460   Active Members: 325
Welcome to our newest member, knelby.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Love (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE) Imago Bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timarelay
    replied
    Originally posted by mrae View Post
    After reading these, I wonder whether bag preference is impacted by the way you wear the strap: across the torso or over the shoulder?
    I'm definitely an across the torso strap person. The only bags I wear over my shoulder are tote bags and purses that are designed to be carried that way.

Leave a comment:

• Jenne
    replied
    I tend to wear my Imago strap across my torso, with the bag resting on the front of my right hip. I find it very comfortable. Since I wear it that way, it doesn't get in the way of a backpack, if I'm wearing one. I'm guessing I'll wear the cafe bag in a similar way.

Ex machina, yay for getting to keep your Medium cafe bag!

Leave a comment:

• Akilae
    replied
    I just recently came back from a trip using the Imago as my airplane carry-on bag, and was able to compare it to the Medium Cafe Bag I had used before.

My loadout is usually a shoulder bag across my chest, or hanging off one shoulder, and a 1800 cu-in. backpack of sorts. The openings of my shoulder bags tend to be slightly above belt line, since that's where my hands are most comfortable reaching for.

The Imago carries very well across the shoulder sitting on my hip. It won't sag much, and when swung around up front it offers easy access to contents with its wide opening. However, in my case sitting on the hip was not possible when carrying a backback, so the Imago often ended up on front of me, to my side, or sitting squarely on my right front pocket. In this position it's a tad bulky.

The MCB, on the other hand, sits very well hanging on my side or slightly to the front. Its slimmer profile makes it less obtrusive and easier to carry. However, because it's slightly longer than the Imago, when sitting near my hip my legs have a tendency to bang on the bottom of the bag. The narrower opening and deeper recess also invites more digging around looking for stuff.

For me, the Imago is good when sitting squarely on the hip. The MCB is good when sitting at an angle either in front of behind me. Both have their uses, although personally I've found the Imago my go-to bag for now.

Leave a comment:

• ex machina
    replied
    Great point!

Originally posted by mrae View Post
    After reading these, I wonder whether bag preference is impacted by the way you wear the strap: across the torso or over the shoulder?
    That is an excellent point to review. Tnx for pointing that out mrae. In a similar vein I was pondering today the idea of delineating a series of review questions that buyers should consider before selecting a purchase. Something akin to a 'bag wizard'.

In another vein, I just had a recent and unexpected infusion of cashola so I will be keeping my Medium Cafe bag after all. Woo hoo!

I still have on order my Imago, and will now be able to do a complete review of both, as well as contrast vertical and horizontal bags. This is gonna be great! I am taking a short trip for a few days so this will be a perfect time to start vetting the Medium Cafe Bag. I will use it as a personal bag at the airport later.

I have loaded it up and added a few strapeez flourishes as well. I will be posting a few pics of the bag on the road when I return. I will also be incorporating strap wear method data in my review. mrae has a great point and I am curious enough to do some field trials myself. I think I will also incorporate length of strap data too (above the belt line, below the belt line, etc.)

Leave a comment:

• mrae
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ex machina
    replied
    Originally posted by backpack View Post
    It must be noted that, before I found TB first class products, I used low grade pencils cases and various cosmetic bags/pouches for "organization".
    I am still using a grammar school style pencil bag I picked up at Staples. It will be replaced by one of the clear pouches I have being shipped from Tom Bihn.

Originally posted by Just View Post
    Hooray, that's my pic! :-)
    Tnx Just for posting it on Flickr. It gave me excellent input on the bag.

Leave a comment:

• Just
    replied
    Originally posted by ex machina View Post
    I also found this picture helpful.
    Hooray, that's my pic! :-)

I may have to bust out my Imago and use it more often.. I've been using the Large Cafe bag pretty much daily now. I'm pretty flexible with the organization of my gear, main difference for me is that I prefer to wear the Imago across the torso, and the Large Cafe just over one shoulder.. this is a critical thing when one is wearing graphic T-shirts and the strap across the chest would totally discombobulate the message :-)

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Originally posted by Jenne View Post
    Oh, great, now I need a cork pouch! Thanks a lot!

I love organizer bags. My friends laugh at me because of my need to keep everything in little bags.
    You are welcome! Hey we need to keep TB in business! LOL

Me too I have a lot of TB pouches, for me this is the only way to find what I want when I want it.

It must be noted that, before I found TB first class products, I used low grade pencils cases and various cosmetic bags/pouches for "organization".

I treat my stuff really well but those cases could not hold together after sometime of daily use. My biggest pet peeve were the very cheap zippers.

Leave a comment:

• ex machina
    replied
    Just placed my order!

I placed my order!

I spoke with Tom Bihn himself and he was very helpful. The process of returns is quite easy. Just send it back with a copy of your invoice(s), and a request for what you want done. As for the new stuff: just order it like normal. No return authorizations, no bureaucracy, no restock fee, no hassle. Ya gotta love the way TB does business!

So, what did I order?
    Clear Organizer Pouches: 2 large, 2 medium, 2 small
    Cork Organizer Pouch: 1 mini
    Shop Bag: 1 in Steel-White Dyneema
    The Imago: 1 Steel/Steel/Cayenne w/Absolute Strap

The above coupled with the 2 small padded pouches, 1 mini clear pouch, 2 keystraps (an 8in. & a 16in.) from a previous order will round out my TB setup. I will begin the shake-out the day it arrives. I will post my detailed review with pics in about a month or two. I want to give it a fair and honest review so it will take some time to do such. I have to wait for my after-new-bag-glow to fade and run the bag through at least a month of its daily use tasking. I will be taking notes as I go on how it is working for me and such so I expect the review will be too detailed for some :P

Leave a comment:

• Jenne
    replied
    Oh, great, now I need a cork pouch! Thanks a lot!

I love organizer bags. My friends laugh at me because of my need to keep everything in little bags.

Leave a comment:

• ex machina
    replied
    Originally posted by backpack View Post
    I have had a cork pouch since they came out, get one, they are amazing!
    I have moved the cork pouch (mini) into the 'buy now' column.

Originally posted by ex machina View Post
    ...opposite the strap lengthening widget - and I would like to know the proper name of that widget - "buckle" perhaps
    After reading elsewhere in the forum I now know that the widget in question can be better referenced as a toothed slide buckle.

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    I have had a cork pouch since they came out, get one, they are amazing!

Note that this is from somebody who usually cannot stand any warm color.

But the cork has "something" and it is very eco friendly.
    Last edited by backpack; 01-12-2009, 06:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ex machina
    replied
    Useful picture for an idea of the bag

Tnx Jenne for adding to the dialogue. I am definitely hoping you will post your opinion of the contrast between the Imago and Medium Cafe bag when you are done with your shake out period.

I also found this picture helpful.

I will be posting pictures of myself with the bag so others will have an idea about how it measures up to a large man. I currently use the MP Deluxe Europa and as messenger bags go, it is on the larger size. On me it does not look out of place. On someone small it might seem distractingly large. That was one of the deficits I found in my research: lack of large models with bags. Not all big guys have switched to wheeled bags you know. :P

At present it seems I will be getting the Steel/Steel/Cayenne bag, a Steel and White Dyneema Shop Bag (for daily carry in the Imago - to offset those times I just need extra storage space), and several more clear pouches (they're so addictive . I may just get a cork pouch too. I am presently convincing my budgeting self that it would be a sound purchase, needed even, to protect my flash drive. It's a decision based on reasoned and sound merits of course, not wholly on the massively cool nature of the cork pouches. ;P
    Last edited by ex machina; 01-11-2009, 07:48 PM. Reason: grammar

Leave a comment:

• Jenne
    replied
    Hmmm-- if I could only pick one, it would be the Imago, but I also have a preference for horizontal bags. However, I've ordered my first Cafe bag (medium), so I'll see how my opinion changes.

I will say, though, that I LOVE my Imago and heartily recommend it to anyone who wants a small messenger bag.

Leave a comment:

• ex machina
    replied
    Originally posted by timarelay View Post
    I used a large cafe bag before switching to my Imago, which I've been using faithfully for the past two years that I've owned it. I still use the Large cafe bag occasionally, but I don't love it nearly as much as I love my Imago.

The imago has a great carrying capacity (and more organization by means of pockets), for one, but it's still a decently compact bag. It is also less deep than the large cafe bag, which makes it easier for me to find things in it.

My imago is my every day bag. My large cafe bag is my minimal "I need to carry a few mid-size things" bag.
    Tnx timarelay, that is great input. Your insight has definitely shored-up my leaning toward the Imago. Barring some decision altering data when I speak with the TB staff tomorrow, I fully expect I will be going with a Steel/Steel/Cayenne Imago bag.

I am curious if the Steel/Steel/Cayenne Imago bag is in the Yin or the Yang style. Either will be fine. Just that in doing my research, it is unclear to me if all the Ballistic Nylon bags are done now in the Yang style while the Cordura bags have always been done in the Yin style. Perhaps all are in the Yin style now? I will ask tomorrow.

Thanks again timarelay for your excellent input.
    Last edited by ex machina; 01-12-2009, 12:18 AM. Reason: corrected my mix-up of the Yin/Yang terms.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X