Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,577   Posts: 188,303   Members: 6,534   Active Members: 278
Welcome to our newest member, QQYFodil79.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lobby for pre-order Smart Alec run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIM
    replied
    I just re-read much of this thread for the first time in a while. I’ve honestly not visited the forums in a while. I appreciate all the lobbying that went into making a re-release and update to the SA a reality. My wishes would be for a very minimalist sleeve on the inside back for a device like my iPad 11 Pro which I carry everywhere. Not some overbuilt thing for monster laptops. Just a simple sleeve, raised off the bottom…perhaps something like what is in my Paragon. Thanks Tom Bihn Team for all you do to bring us cool stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by John1970 View Post
    Darcy -- The latest update suggested early 2022 for the updated SAs--is that still the case? In any event, whenever it happens, would also love to see navy parapack, olive cordura, and some night walk and black halcyons!
    We're hoping for early 2022, but it could be later than that: the Smart Alec update is Nik's project (with collaboration from Tom) and he's been working on some internal systems/efficiency stuff that's taken his focus away from design for the time being. It is definitely in the works, regardless. Requested color combos noted

Leave a comment:

• Mbladen3210
    replied
    Oh yes! Count me in for a New SA! I’ve been waiting and waiting for a color combo I would love to pop up. Preferably BH. Though Nordic would be the cherry!

Leave a comment:

• John1970
    replied
    Darcy -- The latest update suggested early 2022 for the updated SAs--is that still the case? In any event, whenever it happens, would also love to see navy parapack, olive cordura, and some night walk and black halcyons!

Leave a comment:

• lang
    replied
    Another vote for some color in the first Smart Alec drop! Would love to see Navy Parapack or Olive especially!

Leave a comment:

• Aventurera
    replied
    Originally posted by zkai5 View Post
    I would rather the Smart Alec get more external attachment points (similar to the Guides pack and Guides edition bags), so that I can attach external pouches/pockets in the configuration that most suits my needs, day to day.
    This is important for me too. Some of the things I really like about my current 30L day hike backpack (not TB, and now held together by gear tape after 9 years of heavy use for hiking, travel, and at times as my EDC) is that there are multiple external lash points where I can attach carabiners (with wet water shoes or other items, or just so that I can have them handy when I want one quickly, which generally happens at least once each day), as well as a bungee (for holding my rain jacket), an open back pocket (perfect for trail maps or other things I need hand), and external side pockets for water bottles, close enough to lash points that I can stick a carabiner on when I expect to be moving around at different angles and don't want to risk losing the water bottles.

I am now on Smart Alec watch, hoping that my old bag doesn't completely fall apart before the new Smart Alecs come out. My fingers are crossed that the first drop will include some gorgeous rich colors (Seapine? Red Blend? Burnt Orange? Aubergine?).

Leave a comment:

• zkai5
    replied
    I definitely agree about having the accessories available, and having a frame and better shoulder straps.

However, having the UMP permanently sewn on would ruin the modularity and versatility of the bag for me. I like how easily the bag can transform into a city bag, work/school bag, gym bag, light grocery bag, beach bag, travel bag, cycling bag, and hiking bag. The moment those pockets are sewn on, the bag becomes more specialized to a certain activity/lifestyle. On the UMP specifically, it is somewhat similar to the "brain" on the Shadow Guide. When I tried it out, I found that it became cumbersome and a bit frustrating to use, and got in the way of getting to the interior of the bag.

Instead, I would rather the Smart Alec get more external attachment points (similar to the Guides pack and Guides edition bags), so that I can attach external pouches/pockets in the configuration that most suits my needs, day to day.

In addition, having more pocket/pouch accessories available, would greatly enhance it's functionality. I would love to be able to attach the Lead's pocket (from the Guide's pack), the Hero's Journey top pocket, the lash straps, and other available accessories to the Smart Alec. My suggestion for adapting these accessories to other bags would be to adopt a universal exterior attachment point system (like the Diamonds on the Guides bags, or the interior O ring system).

Leave a comment:

• LMT66
    replied
    I'd like to see the UMP sewn permanently on the lid and the LMP remain as it was so can be removed. Beef up the shoulder straps and give it a removable frame sheet like the Synapse's.
    My current SA is on it's last legs after years of use and abuse. Love the design! Please bring it back!

Leave a comment:

• Senua
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy View Post

Still discussing that! May depend on our production capacity at that time.
    Thank you. If you're keeping tally, I'd like to vote for the upper modular pocket, or Side Effects that will match.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by Senua View Post

Any chance modular pockets (upper, lower or both) will be part of the reissue?
    Still discussing that! May depend on our production capacity at that time.

Leave a comment:

• Senua
    replied
    Thanks Aeon

Just so folks know, I shared that update (I think) in response to a question asked about the SA. Just goes to show we're more likely to spill the beans when asked about them, oops And any announcements will be posted both here and on the FB group!

One thing I can share, even though the Smart Alec reissue is likely slated for early 2022: it'll have the same back panel (breathable mesh, removable internal frame + laptop compartment) of the Shadow Guide V2.
    Any chance modular pockets (upper, lower or both) will be part of the reissue?

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by G42 View Post

Any hope for a redesigned/updated/Design Lab/alt version of the NFTD that avoids the specialty foam issue?
    We're discussing that actively, though it's very early in the process (no prototypes, no firm plans, just discussions). It is something we'd like to work on... that's what I can offer right now

Originally posted by Aeon View Post

Well, that settles it: my OG Black Halycon Smart Alec will be up for sale sometime this year. Please, oh please, oh please don't stop using the blackout label with black bags before the SA reissue. *fingers crossed*

Thanks for the update, Darcy.
    You bet! And I can't imagine we'd stop using the blackout label with black bags anytime soon: most people seem to love it.

Leave a comment:

• Aeon
    replied
    One thing I can share, even though the Smart Alec reissue is likely slated for early 2022: it'll have the same back panel (breathable mesh, removable internal frame + laptop compartment) of the Shadow Guide V2.
    Well, that settles it: my OG Black Halycon Smart Alec will be up for sale sometime this year. Please, oh please, oh please don't stop using the blackout label with black bags before the SA reissue. *fingers crossed*

Thanks for the update, Darcy.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Just goes to show we're more likely to spill the beans when asked about them, oops
    Any hope for a redesigned/updated/Design Lab/alt version of the NFTD that avoids the specialty foam issue?

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Thanks Aeon

Just so folks know, I shared that update (I think) in response to a question asked about the SA. Just goes to show we're more likely to spill the beans when asked about them, oops And any announcements will be posted both here and on the FB group!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X