Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,577   Posts: 188,302   Members: 6,534   Active Members: 278
Welcome to our newest member, QQYFodil79.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you like with Forest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you like with Forest?

Hi all,

I have a Forest/Violet Aero 30. I've never seen anything in Forest since I bought it, but I like the colour very much. Now I want a kind of shoulder or everyday bag that could come with me when I travel, and I would like the two to look like they belong together. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by ejvc View Post
    Hi all,

I have a Forest/Violet Aero 30. I've never seen anything in Forest since I bought it, but I like the colour very much. Now I want a kind of shoulder or everyday bag that could come with me when I travel, and I would like the two to look like they belong together. Any suggestions?
    Welcome to the Forums @ejvc!

Forest discontinued before I found Tom Bihn and I haven't snagged any second hand yet, so I'm not sure what the exact shade of green is.
    Hopefully some of the Forum folks from that time will chime in with suggestions.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Forest/Ultraviolet is one of my favorite combinations too! I like it with Aubergine, or if you don't mind something a little more daring, it's also nice with Burnt Orange. The grays aren't bad either (Steel, Cloud, Nebulous Gray). If the light is good later I can take pictures of some of the combinations. When I travel I often carry my Forest Aeronaut with a Burnt Orange luggage tag and an Aubergine second bag (such as a Co-Pilot).

Like @G42, I found Tom Bihn after Forest was discontinued... but I've been lucky enough to find several Forest things secondhand, plus a few pouches that they still had at the store the first time I visited. I didn't buy all the Forest pouches that were left! I felt like that would be greedy. I did buy several, though.

Would you also like suggestions for what bags would go well with the A30, or just the color?
      I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Comment

Originally posted by aedifica View Post
        Forest/Ultraviolet is one of my favorite combinations too! I like it with Aubergine, or if you don't mind something a little more daring, it's also nice with Burnt Orange. The grays aren't bad either (Steel, Cloud, Nebulous Gray). If the light is good later I can take pictures of some of the combinations. When I travel I often carry my Forest Aeronaut with a Burnt Orange luggage tag and an Aubergine second bag (such as a Co-Pilot).

Like @G42, I found Tom Bihn after Forest was discontinued... but I've been lucky enough to find several Forest things secondhand, plus a few pouches that they still had at the store the first time I visited. I didn't buy all the Forest pouches that were left! I felt like that would be greedy. I did buy several, though.

Would you also like suggestions for what bags would go well with the A30, or just the color?
        Thanks for this! I think i just caught the tail end of Forest -- I bought my A30 in March of 2015 (or thereabouts). I also bought an A45 for my husband in Coyote with a grey interior.

I think what I'm looking for is probably either a purse-sized thing (like a packing cube shoulder bag) or a bag-thing -- like a pop tote. I am very happy with my Fjällräven Kånken for my everyday backpack -- it's very light and very roomy. But I would like something that's quite easy to pack in my A30 and looks a bit different than a backpack, more like a purse. So not a synapse or anything like that.

One other thing I often need when we travel is a food bag. I should say that I often travel with my husband and our two kids (6 and 11). We are pretty strictly one-bag travellers. The kids have small rollers and backpacks of their own; we parents can take one or both of the rollers should the kids get tired. We often travel by train and often bring our own food as well, so I need something that can take enough food for a family of four for a meal or two (and not cut my hands off from the weight) but pack away when not needed. I guess given the configuration it might be useful to have it be something that can sit on top of a roller, but that's not a deal breaker.

We are planning a train trip through Germany and Switzerland this summer. I'm still contemplating how we should best pack...

Comment

Wasabi. I didn’t think I’d like the forest/wasabi combination, but I got a pouch in that combination and it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by ejvc View Post
            One other thing I often need when we travel is a food bag. I should say that I often travel with my husband and our two kids (6 and 11). We are pretty strictly one-bag travellers. The kids have small rollers and backpacks of their own; we parents can take one or both of the rollers should the kids get tired. We often travel by train and often bring our own food as well, so I need something that can take enough food for a family of four for a meal or two (and not cut my hands off from the weight) but pack away when not needed. I guess given the configuration it might be useful to have it be something that can sit on top of a roller, but that's not a deal breaker.
            Some folks don't like the 'dark hole' that is black, but I really like the zip top shop bags in black ballistic partly because black goes with everything and doesn't show travel smudge much... the ZTSBs fold down reasonably small and make great food bags. Small holds a lot but with a family of four and two meals, large would probably work better for you. The poron handles are AMAZING.

Coyote ballistic should go well with Forest and those hopefully will be available late APR/early MAY, once the pre-orders ship...
            I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Black *is* always classic but i myself tend to wear and have navy and grey things, as well as plum and dark green, so those are mostly what i'm thinking about. And I'm wondering about whether Pop Tote or ZTSB is better, too. I think I want the food bag to be able to stand on its own, and a zip top is great, then you don't have to worry about apples escaping. Thank you so much for all your help. Like other overseas buyers the shipping and customs make this all a very expensive proposition, so I don't feel I can make a mistake. I have time though, our trip isn't until June.

Comment

I was able to take some pictures of the various colors I like with Forest. These look about right on my screen, though of course they may look different on yours. All of these are taken on a background of my Forest Aeronaut 45, which is probably the same color as your Forest Aeronaut 30. (I say "probably" because they could be fabric from different dye lots, but they should be more or less the same.)

I didn't think of photographing any of the Halcyon colors with it, but I think it looks nice with Northwest Sky as well as Ultraviolet.

With Aubergine
                (on the left is a mini Ghost Whale Pouch in Aubergine 525 Ballistic, on the right is the underside of a mini Q-Kit in Aubergine 1050 Ballistic)
                Click image for larger version

Name:	with Aubergine.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	655.0 KB
ID:	305026

With Burnt Orange (sorry this one is so blurry, the blurry one was the only one where the colors looked right)
                (at the top is a luggage tag in Burnt Orange 1050 Ballistic, at the bottom is a Luminary 12 in Burnt Orange 525 Ballistic which looks lighter than the luggage tag because it's less in shadow)

Name:	with BO LT & L12.JPG
Size:	527.6 KB
ID:	305027

With Steel, Cloud, and Nebulous Gray
                (in this picture I think Cloud looks a little blue, and in reality it's a true light gray)

Name:	with 3x gray (labeled).jpeg
Size:	698.2 KB
ID:	305028

I wasn't able to get a good picture showing Forest + Burnt Orange + anything else in the same picture, the color values got out of whack.
                I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Comment

Thank you! Your forest is very close to mine. Love the aubergine! Next favourite is the steel. Really appreciate it.

ETA: I'm leaning towards a pop tote and side kick in aubergine, but have posted re the various totes in another thread.
                  Last edited by ejvc; 03-18-2019, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X