Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,827   Posts: 191,329   Members: 6,703   Active Members: 266
Welcome to our newest member, zacattac.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Design Suggestion: Front Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CaptJoe
    replied
    Interesting question - and I agree such a pocket would be handy. Some hunting jackets have just that - it's often called a 'game pocket' or 'poachers pocket'. Basically a rear wide pocket on the pack. Something like a cyclist would have. It's very handy. I'm not sure why backpacks don't offer something like that. Good observation.

Leave a comment:

• blancf
    replied
    I feel like a slightly tricked-out ghost whale (padded, a little interior organization) that attaches to the upper part of a backpack strap could be nice. Big enough for a phone, wallet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• BWeaves
    replied
    This is why I don't wear backpacks. Well, that and it's 100F in Florida and I don't want anything on my back.

Have you tried wearing your backpack in the front, like you're carrying a baby?

Leave a comment:

• Cristina
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyH View Post
    @Cristina - How do you connect the bungee to your phone? Are you slipping it into a ghost whale or other organizer?

It attaches to my phone case.

On some phone cases there is a little passthrough for a wrist strap. The strap has a loop, and you put the loop through the passthrough and pull it over itself. If you are looking for a phone case that has this, it will often have a photo of the case with a wrist strap. If you have ever attached a wrist strap to a camera it will be the same process.

Here are two pics of mine:

Leave a comment:

• sarah_atx
    replied
    I've been searching for the perfect diaper bag backpack. I need a side-access water bottle pocket, so unfortunately no TB bags fit that need. I don't want to take off the pack to get my water bottle out constantly in the 100 degree Texas heat.

There are some diaper bags with a back access pocket like you're talking about, although since the zipper opens to the main compartment of the bag maybe other stuff would fall out... anyway, here's an example. Not TB quality but it does seem to be a family owned business at least. I think it would work better with a TB bag if you had some o-rings down by the zipper to keep small things tethered like you mentioned.

KeaBabies-Diaper-Bag-Backpack

Leave a comment:

• typo
    replied
    Originally posted by Go Navy View Post
    There are little, ugly pouches you can mount on the shoulder straps in front of your body to carry phones and stuff. Bihn doesn't make them.
    Yes, this is my current solution. The pouch mostly works. Downsides 1) It attaches to shoulder strap by wrapping around the strap, so when the bag is loaded, it digs into my shoulder. 2) Velcro eventually wears thin and threatens to open or detatch from bag. 3) I'm a film student. My bag gets stashed in all sorts of strange places-- under desks, in corners on sets, in piles of equipment, etc. It always makes me a bit uncomfortable to have my phone pouch flapping around, attached to straps on the outside of the bag, where it could get stepped on or pulled loose.

Leave a comment:

• typo
    replied
    Originally posted by maverick View Post
    The TOM BIHN Buzz was a single strap "sling" style backpack that you could rotate around to the front of your torso without taking it off, enabling you access to the contents in both the front zippered pocket as well as the main compartment. It also had a phone pocket on the single backpack strap and a water bottle pocket!
    I had a Buzz. I loved the Buzz!I eventually retired it because phone technology outgrew the strap pocket. But the sling design was very handy-- much easier to get on and off over a bulky winter coat. I do wonder why TB doesn't include a sling bag in the line up of bag options. Sling bags don't work for huge heavy loads, but it seems like it could be a good option for a smaller bag (something with the capacity of a Luminary)

Leave a comment:

• KathyH
    replied
    Originally posted by Cristina View Post
    I totally get this quick access problem.

Since I have started using train and bus tickets on my phone, and also using a bungee clipped tether on my phone, I'm more likely to keep just my phone in my pocket, clipped to my clothing, as my only quick-access item.

I have yet to settle on a permanent universal solution but the phone bungee clip gives me the most peace of mind! It attaches to any phone case with the little spot for a wrist strap. I wish I could provide a link but I got mine for free from a Police public information stand.
    @Cristina - How do you connect the bungee to your phone? Are you slipping it into a ghost whale or other organizer?

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    The TOM BIHN Buzz was a single strap "sling" style backpack that you could rotate around to the front of your torso without taking it off, enabling you access to the contents in both the front zippered pocket as well as the main compartment. It also had a phone pocket on the single backpack strap and a water bottle pocket!

Leave a comment:

• Cristina
    replied
    I totally get this quick access problem.

In the past I have posted in the Wish List thread for a Side-access backpack, with a pocket to the main compartment opening along the entire side of the bag. I still wish for this.

The most recent design change to the Synapse water bottle pocket has helped- I can fit a Travel Cubelet or a Side Effect into the very handy side pockets of the S25, and keep my essential stuff in there for a one-shoulder swing down of the bag.

I've also, in the past, tried attaching bags to the waist strap of my Synapse.

Since I have started using train and bus tickets on my phone, and also using a bungee clipped tether on my phone, I'm more likely to keep just my phone in my pocket, clipped to my clothing, as my only quick-access item.

I have yet to settle on a permanent universal solution but the phone bungee clip gives me the most peace of mind! It attaches to any phone case with the little spot for a wrist strap. I wish I could provide a link but I got mine for free from a Police public information stand.

Leave a comment:

• experimentjon
    replied
    I thought for a second that the lumbar pocket might be a cool idea--especially if it opens into the body of the bag similar to side pockets in the TAD Axiom 24. But, having something take up space in the bottom of the pack (or keeping the pocket really slim) might be challenging. And while I consider myself relatively flexible, having mimicked a zip/unzip motion there a few times, I think that might be a more uncomfortable reach than just swinging the bag around. That said, I believe the TAD Fastpack has an inverted pocket like this on the sides for keys on bungee cord. So maybe it's not so bad.

That said, I lived in Chicago for two years and nothing beat taking advantage of coat pockets. I especially like top-loading velcro flap pockets on the front. So practical for a phone versus fumbling under a parka for it in a front pant pocket or having to go into my backpack.

Leave a comment:

• KathyH
    replied
    Originally posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,
    The amazing thing about the Synapse, both sizes, is that by removing just one shoulder strap the bag can pivot to the side/front. Then all the front pockets are accessible.
    I do the same thing with my S19, S25,and L12. My car is remote access and my front home door is keyless. I keep my sunglasses in the side pocket of each of the packs. Same with my wallet in the L12. For the Synapses, though, I prefer putting my wallet in the front pocket because I use an S-biner attached to the front pocket and right-side pocket for added security in the Metro and train crowds.

Leave a comment:

• Crinoidea
    replied
    I have an old Pearl Izumi backpack and it has side pockets (for shoes, actually) that I can reach without taking it off. I used this bag for college as my EDC.

In winter, with coat and gloves on, I could theoretically reach this pocket. And frequently enough, while pulling something out, other stuff would drop on the ground. Because of outdoor conditions (snow and mud) I wouldn't hear things hit the ground. Either a friend saw the item or I needed it immeadiately enough I had to go look for it.

I learned that when I was wearing a coat and gloves... the coat pockets were a far better option.

Just something to think about.

Leave a comment:

• AlaskaGirl
    replied
    Greetings,
    The amazing thing about the Synapse, both sizes, is that by removing just one shoulder strap the bag can pivot to the side/front. Then all the front pockets are accessible.

This isn't what you are looking for, but I still find it very useful. No other backpack I've ever used has been this user friendly.

To solve the situation you describe, I use a small bag either cross body or with a waist strap. The Travel Cubelet is big enough to hold my phone, keys, lip balm, and Tom Bihn Wallet, a small Moleskin notebook, a pen, pencil, and a travel tissue pack. The Side Effect can hold all that plus a few more items like a travel eye mask and ear plugs. The Side Kick holds all that plus a paperback book and much more. Any one of those bags will tuck into the top of my Synapse25 in the event I am required to only have one bag.

While I find the suggestion for a lumbar pocket interesting, I would not use it myself. elisa

Leave a comment:

• Go Navy
    replied
    There are little, ugly pouches you can mount on the shoulder straps in front of your body to carry phones and stuff. Bihn doesn't make them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X