Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,995   Posts: 193,761   Members: 6,894   Active Members: 244
Welcome to our newest member, gojonnie.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I crazy for wanting a Road Buddy instead of an Aeronaut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtus
    replied
    Thank you to everyone who has replied so far!

Originally posted by G42 View Post
    The straps in the main compartments of the Aeronauts don't compress a lot - they really mostly just hold things in place. As a huge fan of packing cubes - I can only suggest you use this opportunity to try them again
    If your bag is completely packed full, you wouldn't need straps or cubes.... but if it's not fully packed, things will shift without straps or cubes, so it depends on how much that would bother you.
    I guess support straps would have been a better term to use; I didn't expect it to compress things so much as just hold them as you mentioned. Do you have any useful tips or tricks to getting the most out of packing cubes? I do use a long thin EC cube for underwear and socks but have found them to be more of hassle for pants, shirts, etc...

Also, is the consensus to use the TB cubes or are their other brands people like? As nice as it would be to have all matching stuff it's tough to stomach the price of TB cubes when I'm not 100% sold on using them and I'd already be spending $2-300 on the bag itself. I do want one of those snake charmers though.

Originally posted by Bogiesan View Post
    Not a comprehensive review but the Road Buddy 36 seems to work for this guy: https://youtu.be/7n7ETFIOxdc

I do not have hands-on with the RB36 (I own an A30) but, judging from the photos, it looks exactly like an Aeronaut without the harness. The problem I have with that is the amount of organization one is paying for in what could be a far more simple and conventional duffle such as, say, the REI Big Haul 40. And the handles seem to be always on the outside. However, the Aeronaut is a freakishly great bag. If the RB is actually based on the Aeronaut’s thoroughly successful design, you will have a great bag of your own.
    I've actually looked at the Big Haul 40 and like a lot of things about it, especially the price. I hate that the backpack straps tuck in up top in just an open flap pocket though. And it doesn't have the end pockets like the A30/45 or RB36. My last purchase I went with a somewhat similar and cheaper option and here I am again... I don't want to throw money away but I want to make sure I get what I want this time.

What do you mean about the handles always on the outside? From pictures it looks like design wise the RB36 is very close to the A30; what do you see that is a major difference?

Originally posted by aedifica View Post
    In my limited experience with the Road Duffel 36, it holds its shape better than an undivided duffel bag because the internal division gives it a little bit of structure, but not quite as well as an Aeronaut because (again as @G42 pointed out) it doesn't have the padded foam back. You guessed right that the 1050d Ballistic fabric does help it hold its shape.
    Thanks. I didn't realize the Aeronauts had a padded backing but I guess it makes sense.

Originally posted by KAB View Post
    I am one of the RB36 enthusiasts! We also have the previous version, the Medium Road Duffel.
    If you don't want/need the backpack straps the RBs are a really great bag......strong and hold their shape well even if the end pockets are not used to their capacity. The inside end pockets are really useful, as is the mesh pocket under the closing flap.
    The lack of the backpack straps makes the bag lighter and a bit more flexible and squashable for easing into tight luggage storage spaces etc and the wide/narrow carry options for the shoulder strap are a real bonus, especially when carrying through crowds or on public transport etc
    I also have an A30 but usually the RB is my go-to option - and I am ever hopeful that a slightly smaller version might appear one day especially since the NFTD retired.
    Awesome. Thanks for the comparison! What specifically about the RB makes it your go-to option over the A30? They look very similar other than RB being a little larger? When would you go with the A30 over the RB?

Are both the main and end compartments on the RB bigger than the A30?

Leave a comment:

• KAB
    replied
    I am one of the RB36 enthusiasts! We also have the previous version, the Medium Road Duffel.
    If you don't want/need the backpack straps the RBs are a really great bag......strong and hold their shape well even if the end pockets are not used to their capacity. The inside end pockets are really useful, as is the mesh pocket under the closing flap.
    The lack of the backpack straps makes the bag lighter and a bit more flexible and squashable for easing into tight luggage storage spaces etc and the wide/narrow carry options for the shoulder strap are a real bonus, especially when carrying through crowds or on public transport etc
    I also have an A30 but usually the RB is my go-to option - and I am ever hopeful that a slightly smaller version might appear one day especially since the NFTD retired.

Leave a comment:

• aedifica
    replied
    If you don't need the backpack straps the Aeronauts offer, then the Road Buddy is a great option! For me the lack of backpack straps is a dealbreaker, which is a pity because the Road Buddies (and Road Duffels, the earlier version that @G42 mentioned) have those nifty pockets on the side walls inside the main compartment, as you noted.

In my limited experience with the Road Duffel 36, it holds its shape better than an undivided duffel bag because the internal division gives it a little bit of structure, but not quite as well as an Aeronaut because (again as @G42 pointed out) it doesn't have the padded foam back. You guessed right that the 1050d Ballistic fabric does help it hold its shape.

Leave a comment:

• Bogiesan
    replied
    Not a comprehensive review but the Road Buddy 36 seems to work for this guy: https://youtu.be/7n7ETFIOxdc

I do not have hands-on with the RB36 (I own an A30) but, judging from the photos, it looks exactly like an Aeronaut without the harness. The problem I have with that is the amount of organization one is paying for in what could be a far more simple and conventional duffle such as, say, the REI Big Haul 40. And the handles seem to be always on the outside. However, the Aeronaut is a freakishly great bag. If the RB is actually based on the Aeronaut’s thoroughly successful design, you will have a great bag of your own.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    There are some definite fans of the Road Buddy's here (and their previous versions, the Road Duffels), so hopefully they'll chime in soon. You sound like an ideal candidate for one, based on your list.

The straps in the main compartments of the Aeronauts don't compress a lot - they really mostly just hold things in place. As a huge fan of packing cubes - I can only suggest you use this opportunity to try them again
    If your bag is completely packed full, you wouldn't need straps or cubes.... but if it's not fully packed, things will shift without straps or cubes, so it depends on how much that would bother you.

As for the shape, since it doesn't have an actual frame, it's shape will be affected by the load and the 1050 fabric...how acceptable that is will depend again on your preference...
    The Aeronauts benefit from the thick foam in the back, for shape retention, plus there's an option to add a removable frame.

If possible, the best thing to do is to buy one and test pack it (see the FAQ https://www.tombihn.com/pages/contact-us/#faq38 )

Leave a comment:

• Am I crazy for wanting a Road Buddy instead of an Aeronaut?

I’ve come close to buying a Tri-Star, A30, and A45 on several occasions but could never pull the trigger. I tried a cheaper Eagle Creek bag and discovered I didn’t much like the clamshell type opening and prefer a more duffel type bag which brought me to the Aeronauts. I could never decide between the A30 and A45 and while I like a lot of the features I didn’t love the overall look of them.

I was taking another look at them the other day and stumbled across the RB36 which I had never seen before and love the look of it. Maybe it’s the more squared design vs the slightly bulbous look of the Aeronauts that I like. For being so similar they look very different to me.

With as much universal love as the A30 and A45s get I’m wondering if I’d be crazy to do the RB36 instead and would end up regretting the decision?

The RB is $120 cheaper which certainly doesn’t hurt. It hits that sweet spot in size between the A30 and A45. I prefer the end pocket design more. I like the grab handle on the top so it can be carried while unzipped. I like that the shoulder strap can be connected to the top or sides. I like the idea of backpack straps but hardly use them on my EC so they would probably be a waste of space and weight for me. I like that there are webbing loops to lash a jacket or longer item to the outside. I like the 4 extra pockets on the sides of the main compartment. Only thing I would change is I do wish there was removable compression straps in the main compartment like the Aeronauts as I don’t normally use packing cubes.

One other concern I have is how well the bag can hold it’s shape. My EC doesn’t hold it’s shape at all no matter how full or empty it is and it drives me crazy. The Aeronauts seem to hold their shape really well; I’m hoping it’s due to the 1050d fabric and that the RB would do just as well.

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of info or reviews out for the bag so hoping to get some feedback from anyone who maybe has experience with both. I’m also open to other recommendations as well. I’ve looked at Red Oxx as well and while they definitely make good stuff they’ve got a more rugged appearance which I actually like but think the TB could be used a little more discretely. I don’t do a ton of traveling and when I do it’s mostly by car; but I would like whatever I get to be carry on compliant for most domestic US flights.

Thanks.
Working...
X