Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,950   Posts: 193,073   Members: 6,828   Active Members: 294
Welcome to our newest member, JuniorCyclist.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I crazy for wanting a Road Buddy instead of an Aeronaut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TravelManager
    replied
    Slight change of topic, but has anyone tried putting a 13" laptop (inside a cache) in the top of the large compartment of the road buddy 36? The way the zipper path is laid out, it looks like it might allow for putting a laptop inside of the main compartment easier than in an Aeronaut.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff A
    replied
    Originally posted by BWeaves View Post
    Steel. Or Coyote. Coyote is gorgeous.
    My Road Buddy 60 in Coyote came a few weeks ago. It is sooooo beautiful!

Leave a comment:

• Bogiesan
    replied
    What color are your eyes?

Leave a comment:

• BWeaves
    replied
    Steel. Or Coyote. Coyote is gorgeous.

Leave a comment:

• b1gsky
    replied
    Yes, Steel! I have a RB36 in Steel and I love the color. And the bag too. I really enjoy travelling with it.

Posted a picture here back when I got it: https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...tml#post167582

Leave a comment:

• bartleby
    replied
    If you ask me: Steel

Leave a comment:

• BWeaves
    replied
    Originally posted by Virtus View Post
    Wow, thanks for the info! Your pictures were fantastic to visualize it as well. I'm surprised that the RB could fit everything you had in an A30 in the main compartment plus the PCSB; plus you still had two end pockets that looked to be close to twice the size of the A30 end pockets.

Having used the bag for a while now which packing cubes would you recommend for the RB? I don't normally use them but with the lack of securing straps it would probably work better to keep things neat if I don't have it completely full.

The RB does appear to be much less rigid than the A30 due to the lack of back padding. In normal use how well is it able to keep it's shape? My current EC bag is awful; no matter how full or empty it is if you carry it by the shoulder strap it sags in the middle to form a V-shape. If you hold it by the grab handle it sags on the ends. It also bulges really easily depending how you pack it making it awkward and uncomfortable to carry with straps or as a backpack. I think the ballistic nylon and design of the RB should help with this.

Also, just out of curiosity how much more are you able to fit in a A45 than the RB36?
    I like the Eagle Creek Specter packing cubes, especially the Clean/Dirty cube and the compression cubes. A couple of the "full size" cubes fit the main compartment of the RB36 with room to spare. And the half cubes and tube cubes fit, too. I do not have the Specter Tech cubes, which are sized S, M, L. I think the Specter Tech "M" is similar in size to the Specter "full size" but I have not tried the Tech version.

The RB36 keeps its shape very well, and if I'm carrying it sideways over my shoulder, the top handle hits right where my hand falls. It's not as convenient as having the handle on the side, but it works. I like the that RB is very rectangular, and the pockets are just much easier to access than the A45.

Leave a comment:

• DWSeattle
    replied
    The Aeronaut is better suited for air travel with slightly different proportions that follow the budget European and regional airline carry on bag limits.

The backpack straps allow carrying long distances and in areas with narrow sidewalks , fifth floor walk ups and 300 year old doorways.

If you want a bag for car travel, the Road Buddy would be fine, living up to it’s name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Virtus
    replied
    So I guess biggest question left is black or steel?

Leave a comment:

• Threads
    replied
    I went with the RB36 over the A45 and am happy with my decision. Both have their place.

Leave a comment:

• bartleby
    replied
    Originally posted by Virtus View Post
    Do you have to leave a little space in the sides of the A45 packing cubes for them to fit?
    No, I pack them as I would pack for the A45. They really fit snugly. I have the suggestion from this post by Darcy. But if you want more space around the packing cubes for other items the A30 PCs are certainly a great choice too.

Leave a comment:

• Virtus
    replied
    Originally posted by bartleby View Post
    I have a RB36 and an A45 (comparison pics here) and I am a dedicated fan of both! The RB36 does hold its shape very well it doesn't sag in the middle which might be due to the fact that the straps are not fixed at the outer edges of the bag but on the edges of the main compartment. What I sometimes miss on the RB36 is a grab handle on the side for an extra hold when I wear it over my shoulder (not cross body). With regard to packing cubes: The A45 packing cubes are the perfect match.
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing; seeing all of these pics really helps. Yeah, I could see another handle being useful on the RB but definitely not a deal breaker. Do you have to leave a little space in the sides of the A45 packing cubes for them to fit? Just curious as I contacted customer service and they recommended the A30 cubes which is what @BWeaves was using.

Leave a comment:

• bartleby
    replied
    I have a RB36 and an A45 (comparison pics here) and I am a dedicated fan of both! The RB36 does hold its shape very well it doesn't sag in the middle which might be due to the fact that the straps are not fixed at the outer edges of the bag but on the edges of the main compartment. What I sometimes miss on the RB36 is a grab handle on the side for an extra hold when I wear it over my shoulder (not cross body). With regard to packing cubes: The A45 packing cubes are the perfect match.

Leave a comment:

• Virtus
    replied
    Originally posted by BWeaves View Post
    I LOVE my Road Buddy 36. I have the previous version when it was called the Road Duffle, so the straps are coyote instead of black, but that's the only difference. I did a photo comparison a while ago. I kept the RB36, I sold the A30.

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...-duffle-2.html

What I like about the RB36 is the shape of the pockets. They fit my Eagle Creek Specter packing cubes. The A30's pockets were always too small for the way I fold my clothes, and for my shoes (and I don't have big feet). I couldn't get my hands into the end pockets of the A30. The end pockets on the RB36 are gusseted, and the zippers go the long way, so the pockets are easier to access and a better shape. The RB36 can be carried flat or on its side, which is nice, because the shoulder strap attachments are in a couple different places. For a bag this small, I don't use it backpack way, either.

Now, for a month long trip with lots of flights, I did buy an A45, and that was useful in backpack mode. But for most of my week long or shorter travel, the RB36 is great and also works fine on planes. It's much lighter, too, and folds up fairly small for storage.
    Wow, thanks for the info! Your pictures were fantastic to visualize it as well. I'm surprised that the RB could fit everything you had in an A30 in the main compartment plus the PCSB; plus you still had two end pockets that looked to be close to twice the size of the A30 end pockets.

Having used the bag for a while now which packing cubes would you recommend for the RB? I don't normally use them but with the lack of securing straps it would probably work better to keep things neat if I don't have it completely full.

The RB does appear to be much less rigid than the A30 due to the lack of back padding. In normal use how well is it able to keep it's shape? My current EC bag is awful; no matter how full or empty it is if you carry it by the shoulder strap it sags in the middle to form a V-shape. If you hold it by the grab handle it sags on the ends. It also bulges really easily depending how you pack it making it awkward and uncomfortable to carry with straps or as a backpack. I think the ballistic nylon and design of the RB should help with this.

Also, just out of curiosity how much more are you able to fit in a A45 than the RB36?

Leave a comment:

• BWeaves
    replied
    I LOVE my Road Buddy 36. I have the previous version when it was called the Road Duffle, so the straps are coyote instead of black, but that's the only difference. I did a photo comparison a while ago. I kept the RB36, I sold the A30.

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...-duffle-2.html

What I like about the RB36 is the shape of the pockets. They fit my Eagle Creek Specter packing cubes. The A30's pockets were always too small for the way I fold my clothes, and for my shoes (and I don't have big feet). I couldn't get my hands into the end pockets of the A30. The end pockets on the RB36 are gusseted, and the zippers go the long way, so the pockets are easier to access and a better shape. The RB36 can be carried flat or on its side, which is nice, because the shoulder strap attachments are in a couple different places. For a bag this small, I don't use it backpack way, either.

Now, for a month long trip with lots of flights, I did buy an A45, and that was useful in backpack mode. But for most of my week long or shorter travel, the RB36 is great and also works fine on planes. It's much lighter, too, and folds up fairly small for storage.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 06-28-2019, 06:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X