Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,744   Posts: 190,307   Members: 6,604   Active Members: 256
Welcome to our newest member, MeaningwaveExists.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Side Kick: In detail

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    WOW.

    Not only your first Tom Bihn purchase, but you immediately upped the game by pimping it out with WALNUT fobs on your zipper pulls!

    Well done!!

    I've got so many Tom Bihn bags at this point, I'm almost (almost!) embarrassed to admit. In addition to my travel bags, my EDC collection includes:

    -- Ristretto in Verde
    -- Pilot in Coyote
    -- Co-Pilot in Aubergine
    -- Medium Cafe Bag in Nebulous Grey
    -- Small Cafe Bag in Burnt Orange
    -- Side Kick in Nebulous Grey
    -- Pop Tote in Aubergine

    I choose each according to the outfit of the day, along with how much I need to carry.

    For casual carry (no work or errands), my new go-to is the Side Kick. It really is the perfect size for all of the essentials.

    However ...

    Being a voracious reader, I don't like that I can't easily tuck a newspaper or magazine inside the Side Kick. Nor can I carry whichever book I'm reading at the time, as it takes up the entirety of the space inside (if it fits at all).

    The Small Cafe Bag does accommodate nearly any size book, plus magazines (they just fit width-wise and stick out of the top, but the flap still covers them when closed -- not ideal, but it works).

    Anyway -- welcome to the Bihn family!

    Comment


      #17
      "Being a voracious reader, I don't like that I can't easily tuck a newspaper or magazine inside the Side Kick. Nor can I carry whichever book I'm reading at the time, as it takes up the entirety of the space inside (if it fits at all)."

      Yes, this is my main issue, and why I hope that they figure out a way to offer a PCSB option that's a little more...bag-like. If I only used ebooks, it'd be perfect.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by setrombley View Post
        Yes, this is my main issue, and why I hope that they figure out a way to offer a PCSB option that's a little more...bag-like. If I only used ebooks, it'd be perfect.
        Sorry, but being a writer, I consider e-books to be about as much of a blasphemy as ketchup on a steak.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by NYCWriter View Post
          Sorry, but being a writer, I consider e-books to be about as much of a blasphemy as ketchup on a steak.
          I like nothing better than to curl up with a real physical book... but when I travel on a plane, the Kindle comes instead of paper. It's small, lightweight, and holds a library... carrying as many physical books as I can read in a week is problematic when I'm packing carryon for a plane. There are either several novels or one large non-fiction history book to contend with...
          For most of my favorite books that I reread (fiction and non-fiction) I actually buy both the physical book and the Kindle version.

          (ETA, I'm with you on the steak/ketchup thing though)
          Last edited by G42; 09-24-2019, 02:32 PM.
          I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by G42 View Post
            I like nothing better than to curl up with a real physical book... but when I travel on a plane, the Kindle comes instead of paper. It's small, lightweight, and holds a library... carrying as many physical books as I can read in a week is problematic when I'm packing carryon for a plane. There are either several novels or one large non-fiction history book to contend with...
            For most of my favorite books that I reread (fiction and non-fiction) I actually buy both the physical book and the Kindle version.

            (ETA, I'm with you on the steak/ketchup thing though)
            I personally prefer paper for books and especially magazines but e-versions are so handy for travel.


            I’ve been getting some ebooks to read to my kids while traveling and it’s been great for that. Most often I will get the e-version of a library favorite (we always have a dozen kids’ books out of the library at any one time). The kids’ e-books look the same and have the same illustrations except I can have several of them and they aren’t all different sizes and shapes (all large in at least one dimension!) with half of them in hardback. I used to try and get tiny kids’ books for travel but the selection is rather limited.

            I can even get ebooks lent to me through my library, on my own device!


            The thing I don’t like about ebooks is that I can’t lend them to friends. Also, I don’t like that if my kids see me reading an ebook it just looks like I am messing around on my phone/iPad.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Cristina View Post
              I personally prefer paper for books and especially magazines but e-versions are so handy for travel.


              I’ve been getting some ebooks to read to my kids while traveling and it’s been great for that. Most often I will get the e-version of a library favorite (we always have a dozen kids’ books out of the library at any one time). The kids’ e-books look the same and have the same illustrations except I can have several of them and they aren’t all different sizes and shapes (all large in at least one dimension!) with half of them in hardback. I used to try and get tiny kids’ books for travel but the selection is rather limited.

              I can even get ebooks lent to me through my library, on my own device!


              The thing I don’t like about ebooks is that I can’t lend them to friends. Also, I don’t like that if my kids see me reading an ebook it just looks like I am messing around on my phone/iPad.
              You can lend certain titles to friends via Kindle.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              "Go forward and never lose sight of your dreams."

              SE (2), SC, DLBP (2), Swift, LS, Spiff Kit, SK, SCB, MCB, LCB, LSB, SSB (2), PT, FJN (2), Pilot, BB, Synik 22, Strap Keepers, Synik 30, TT (6), TSS (lots), COW, PCSB, 3DOC (2), Smart Alec, Cubelet, Pocket Pouch, GWP and other pouches/cubes

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by NYCWriter View Post
                WOW.
                Thanks for the kind words and welcome, NYCwriter. Looks like you have yourself some nice options in your list up there.

                I certainly can't see myself stuffing a newspaper in the bag or a copy of the New Yorker in the Side Kick!

                I've never had or used an e-reader but have been tempted. I could appreciate keeping my current book, my newspaper subscriptions and my magazines all on a single, small device. That said, I'm not often in a situation where I have a chance to read outside of the house.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Hi,
                  Great pics and post, but i wonder, is it a black or a grey one ? It looks beautiful on these photos. Thanks !

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Looks like nebulous gray. :-)
                    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

                    TB Newbie First factory visit - 9/21/2018

                    Heart’s desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Pna View Post
                      Hi,
                      Great pics and post, but i wonder, is it a black or a grey one ? It looks beautiful on these photos. Thanks !
                      I agree... nebulous grey with NW Sky interior.
                      Monster Truck (Nebulous Gray) Cadet (Steel /NW Sky) Yeoman Duffel Mini (Burnt Orange) Yeoman Duffel Small (Steel)

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Chris D. View Post
                        I agree... nebulous grey with NW Sky interior.
                        Thank you, because I was almost sure that it was a black one a little bit bleached by the flash, and also because that I imagined that the gray color was lighter than that.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X