Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,523   Posts: 187,767   Members: 6,485   Active Members: 310
Welcome to our newest member, questah043.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trinity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mulligan
    replied
    After seeing the back panel of the Technonaut, I’m hoping that this type of back panel is NOT utilized on the forthcoming Trinity bag. I suspect I am in the minority on this forum, but I never carry any bags in backpack mode – I use either the strap or the handle 100% of the time. Therefore, the back panel of the Technonaut – with the backpack straps visible behind the mesh panels – is a step backwards both aesthetically and perhaps from a durability standpoint. I have always viewed being able to completely conceal the backstraps straps (like on the Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer) to be a huge benefit. I am still hoping the design of the Trinity is an evolution of the Western Flyer and Tri-Star. If not, I will pull the trigger on an Aeronaut, as long as it’s available in 1050D.

Leave a comment:

• Mulligan
    replied
    I'm curious to learn more about the Technonaut. But I'm much more curious to learn more about the Trinity, as several sizes of the Trinity could be perfect for what I am seeking.

Leave a comment:

• Chris D.
    replied
    Originally posted by Waterlogged View Post

Maybe the Trinity name is really a reference to the 3+ year design cycle.

Good one Waterlogged!

Leave a comment:

• Waterlogged
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    the Trinity (a new travel bag design by Tom that’s been in the works for a while now) has been delayed further thanks to some inspiration that struck and opportunities to actually travel with the bag.
    Maybe the Trinity name is really a reference to the 3+ year design cycle.

But I do appreciate the tremendous amount of thought, time, and effort that the TB crew puts into designing quality bags. This has just been helping me to build up my reserves of patience.

Leave a comment:

• WineCountry
    replied
    Excited to hear more about the Techonaut. Seems like we all travel with a certain amount of tech these days and having a safe and dedicated spot for it makes sense. I am envisioning something like the AER capsule bag so am curious to see how it turns out.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by latchford View Post
    Darcy Now that the cat's out of the Techonaut, I'm wondering if you could say whether the Trinity will have the same backpanel as the V2 Shadow Guide? I'm planning to buy either as my main travel bag and will be wearing it as a backpack, so the backpanel comfort is important to me. Any information would help me to decide if I should buy the Techonaut since it's probably debuting first or hold out for the Trinity.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_EE2B5CBAAE58-1.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	551.8 KB ID:	332921
    We're working on a blog post with various updates about colors, fabrics, and designs. Here's a (very much a draft) excerpt that mentions the Trinity:

There’s a number of new designs and vintage reissues in the works that we’re excited to share with you! We’re mindful to strike a balance between keeping everyone informed and not sharing too many details too early — our lode star is not the release calendar. Rather, it’s our determination that our new design is worthy of your attention and meets our own high standards. Case in point: the Trinity (a new travel bag design by Tom that’s been in the works for a while now) has been delayed further thanks to some inspiration that struck and opportunities to actually travel with the bag. In other words, if we see an opportunity to improve a design, we’ll delay it in order to do so: read more in this blog post.

At this point in time, the Trinity does not have the Shadow Guide V2 back panel. That said, as mentioned above, Tom is continuing to refine the design, and who knows where that'll lead.

And the Techonaut will definitely be debuting first. I don't want to put an estimated pre-order date out there just yet, but the design is pretty much done.

Leave a comment:

• latchford
    replied
    Darcy Now that the cat's out of the Techonaut, I'm wondering if you could say whether the Trinity will have the same backpanel as the V2 Shadow Guide? I'm planning to buy either as my main travel bag and will be wearing it as a backpack, so the backpanel comfort is important to me. Any information would help me to decide if I should buy the Techonaut since it's probably debuting first or hold out for the Trinity.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_EE2B5CBAAE58-1.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	551.8 KB ID:	332921
    Last edited by latchford; 06-06-2021, 05:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GrussGott
    replied
    Originally posted by thorn View Post
    I've read many, including myself, that had the dilemma to choose between aeronaut 45/30 (or tri-star). I ended up going with the 45. Might the largest of the 3 Trinity sizes satisfy that gap of an in-between size near 38L? I think I could go 38L but just can't see making a 30L work.
    Agreed that a 38ishL would be perfect - I've never been a one-bag traveler as I like having more space and I've never had a problem finding overhead room for at least one bag A45 size even on, say, SW flights with a low boarding priority. I usually travel with about 50-55L between 2 bags, but rarely use all of it - occasionally my S25 carries only my in-flight ditty bag and it's usual other small sundries.

In any event, seeing the SN30 in the flesh, it could change things but I'd still want a 2nd bag, maybe pilot at a minimum ...

If that Trinity were 38L and had a center section large enough for a "pilotian slip", I could see that putting me firmly into one-bag travel for most business trips and many personal ones.

Leave a comment:

• thorn
    replied
    I've read many, including myself, that had the dilemma to choose between aeronaut 45/30 (or tri-star). I ended up going with the 45. Might the largest of the 3 Trinity sizes satisfy that gap of an in-between size near 38L? I think I could go 38L but just can't see making a 30L work.

Leave a comment:

• GrussGott
    replied
    Originally posted by jobeyonekenobi View Post
    Travel (business and otherwise) is hotting up
    Completely agree that travel is going to come back in a huge way... I keep seeing articles about how business travel is going to stay depressed ... not from what I'm seeing and hearing!

Every corporate-type I know around the country is talking about restarting travel and many have already started planning events. We have a friend who's an event planner for a large law firm and she's booking all kinds of things for the fall and she's going to hire two assistants ... and of course the sales types are itching to get face time again less they be at a disadvantage and are planning for it right after vaccination.

On the pleasure travel side, we've been looking around for summer and fall travel and ... wow, some of the more popular locations and properties have zero availability. Beyond that, just about everyone seems to be booking flight vacations ...

Lastly, given the great large packing cube shortage, I've noticed some of the cheaper ones on amazon have been going out of stock in the last 2 weeks ...

It's all anecdata of course, and who knows, but I just bought a WF and TS ... if there was Trinity coming that would definitely get my attention!

Leave a comment:

• wormie
    replied

Ha! Good question. The existing sample is made out of Mars Red 525d ballistic. I'll check in with Tom today to see if there's another update.

Mars red, did you say?

Leave a comment:

• jobeyonekenobi
    replied

Ha! Good question. The existing sample is made out of Mars Red 525d ballistic. I'll check in with Tom today to see if there's another update.

Thank you so much. It's hugely appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by jobeyonekenobi View Post

Darcy what have you guys made a sample of the Trinity with?
    I've got an Empire Builder, a Western Flyer and a Tristar. Its been a little while (over a year I believe) since learning of the Trinity. Travel (business and otherwise) is hotting up and knowing something more about what's upcoming for the Trinity in terms of size and utility would be fantastic. It also helps me apportion the funds to not going after pretty pretty colour combos of existing designs on the second hand market!

Edit: I forgot about my Cadet!

Leave a comment:

• jobeyonekenobi
    replied

We haven't yet made a sample of the Trinity in 400d Halcyon
    Darcy what have you guys made a sample of the Trinity with?
    I've got an Empire Builder, a Western Flyer and a Tristar. Its been a little while (over a year I believe) since learning of the Trinity. Travel (business and otherwise) is hotting up and knowing something more about what's upcoming for the Trinity in terms of size and utility would be fantastic. It also helps me apportion the funds to not going after pretty pretty colour combos of existing designs on the second hand market!

Edit: I forgot about my Cadet!

Leave a comment:

• pcooperllan
    replied
    Darcy This is exciting news, especially with the solaris color combination! Thanks for the update, I'll keep my fingers crossed for more info (hopefully a preview) soon ;-).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X