Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,504   Posts: 187,567   Members: 6,463   Active Members: 324
Welcome to our newest member, chrisjonty.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trinity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris D. View Post
    Disappointing news...
    I’ve been delaying a much needed purchase to see what TB will be offering in the Trinity. Unfortunately waiting a year is a deal breaker for me. Hope everyone will enjoy yet another backpack, messenger bag, etc, etc.
    I am disappointed with this news as well, as I am also looking to make a purchase soon. To me the small Trinity appeared to be perfect size for an EDC briefcase – i.e. compact but relatively deep. While I have a preference for TB, this additional delay in release may force me to look elsewhere.

Comment

I'll be waiting! It sounds perfect so I hope we get some more information/pictures before the release (so I can decide between the Trinity and a TriStar) but hey, if not, then not! It's not like I want still want bags in a year.

Comment

Bump for 2021...
        Monster Truck (Nebulous Gray) Cadet (Steel /NW Sky) Yeoman Duffel Mini (Burnt Orange) Yeoman Duffel Small (Steel)

Comment

Speaking for myself, I'd love to see a blog on the development process for Trinity!

Comment

I'm still not travelling, so don't need the new bag now, but need and want are very different.. I would love to get some updates on the Trinity :-)

Comment

Originally posted by pcooperllan View Post
              I'm still not travelling, so don't need the new bag now, but need and want are very different.. I would love to get some updates on the Trinity :-)
              Same. I don't need a Western Flyer but I want one. But the timing feels awkward should the WF receive some sort of refresh (edgeless straps)...or better yet the Trinity becomes official.

Comment

Originally posted by dmoneysong View Post
                Same. I don't need a Western Flyer but I want one. But the timing feels awkward should the WF receive some sort of refresh (edgeless straps)...or better yet the Trinity becomes official.
                This is pure speculation so take with a grain of salt, but yesterday Darcy said there's no imminent plans to upgrade the Aeronaut straps to edgeless and I would think those would get them before the WF.
                Last edited by Surrealle; 03-09-2021, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dmoneysong View Post
                  Oh no! You’ve ruined my WF “Plan B”!

Comment

TB is always tweaking designs, if you wait for them to be done, you'll be waiting forever
                    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

As it doesn't sound like this bag will be released anytime soon, my other curiosity would be whether there were any plans for a Halcyon Trinity (or even a Western Flyer) with a Solaris interior? Or did I read somewhere that Solaris was going to be discontinued?

Thanks,
                      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pcooperllan View Post
                        As it doesn't sound like this bag will be released anytime soon, my other curiosity would be whether there were any plans for a Halcyon Trinity (or even a Western Flyer) with a Solaris interior? Or did I read somewhere that Solaris was going to be discontinued?
                        Tom and Nik were actually revisiting the design of the Trinity just yesterday. We haven't yet made a sample of the Trinity in 400d Halcyon, but I can't imagine that won't be a future offering. Solaris lining is an option, depending on when the Trinity is offered for pre-order: we're rotating limited edition 200d Halcyon colors, so it's possible the stars will align for that combination.

Also! I'll paste below our recent Q&A with Tom about the Trinity -- this originally appeared in our email newsletter:

Tom, there’s lots of folks excited for any news of the Trinity travel bag that we can share — but there’s also folks who perhaps might not know what the Trinity is. Can you give us a recap?

The Trinity is (or, rather, it will be) a travel / work bag that converts to a backpack. Like our other travel bags, it can be carried by its padded handles, with an optional shoulder strap, or backpack style. It is different from our other travel bags in several ways, including — it has a minimal, dedicated laptop/tablet compartment, and its backpack straps will be removable for folks who’d rather that additional weight/bulk be, at least some of the time, left behind. It also features a back pocket that can double as a slot for a roll-aboard handle. That’s a lot of design and build, and things can go sideways if it’s not carefully and expertly executed — one can end up with a bag that’s heavier or bulkier than it needs to be, it can be a tough job for the people who sew it, or it’s a design that may just leave you scratching your head. The Trinity won’t be any of those things because of the time I’m putting into the design.

Sounds like a lot of design work has gone into the Trinity. Is there an aspect of its design that you’re most excited about?

There’s actually two aspects that I’m rather proud of. First, I figured out how to build an ultra-thin laptop compartment that would be in the dead center of the bag — so that the weight of the laptop doesn’t throw the bag off balance when carried by hand, and also so that the laptop is protected by clothing or whatever else is stowed in the compartments on either side of the device. Second, how to create a roll-aboard slot / pocket which occupies the same real estate that the stow-away backpack straps occupy. It was quite a puzzle, let me tell you.

What elements of the design are you continuing to refine?

The big one is refining how the edgeless backpack straps can be attached / detached by the user: we’ve got some good starts, but still need to perfect that. Also, several aspects of the design can only be scaled up or down so far before they become either useless to the user or impossible to sew. Thus, we are still in the process of figuring out exactly what size or sizes the Trinity will be offered in. Our hopes are for a maximum carry-on size (so Aeronaut 45 size) and something smaller and more briefcase sized, perhaps along the lines of the Western Flyer or Empire Builder.

You know everyone’s going to be asking this: when will the Trinity be available for pre-order?

I don't know about you, but this last year has thrown me for a loop. And we've been busy, to boot. I've dived back into the design of the Trinity, a new gym bag, and a messenger bag I was working on in early 2020. I'm sure some of you out there reading this can relate to what it's like to put down a project for some months and pick it back up: on the tough side, there's the getting reacquainted and the "So what was I thinking here?" and then there's the benefit space and time can provide. I've looked over aspects of all three designs and been pleasantly surprised, scratched my head, and I've had new inspiration on how to solve some design challenges that were previously perplexing. All that said, don't make sandwiches and wait by the phone: we'll let you know when these bags are getting close to ready. And, of course, we'l share updates along the way. — Tom

Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Darcy This is exciting news, especially with the solaris color combination! Thanks for the update, I'll keep my fingers crossed for more info (hopefully a preview) soon ;-).

Comment

We haven't yet made a sample of the Trinity in 400d Halcyon
                            Darcy what have you guys made a sample of the Trinity with?
                            I've got an Empire Builder, a Western Flyer and a Tristar. Its been a little while (over a year I believe) since learning of the Trinity. Travel (business and otherwise) is hotting up and knowing something more about what's upcoming for the Trinity in terms of size and utility would be fantastic. It also helps me apportion the funds to not going after pretty pretty colour combos of existing designs on the second hand market!

Edit: I forgot about my Cadet!

Comment

Originally posted by jobeyonekenobi View Post

Darcy what have you guys made a sample of the Trinity with?
                              I've got an Empire Builder, a Western Flyer and a Tristar. Its been a little while (over a year I believe) since learning of the Trinity. Travel (business and otherwise) is hotting up and knowing something more about what's upcoming for the Trinity in terms of size and utility would be fantastic. It also helps me apportion the funds to not going after pretty pretty colour combos of existing designs on the second hand market!

Edit: I forgot about my Cadet!
                              Ha! Good question. The existing sample is made out of Mars Red 525d ballistic. I'll check in with Tom today to see if there's another update.

Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post

Ha! Good question. The existing sample is made out of Mars Red 525d ballistic. I'll check in with Tom today to see if there's another update.

Thank you so much. It's hugely appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X