Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,521   Posts: 187,757   Members: 6,485   Active Members: 309
Welcome to our newest member, questah043.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Wish List

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large OP back in stock!

They are the only paper organizing items that stand up to the mountain of paperwork one has, still, to deal with.

Note that I own a great amount of re-usable plastic file folder in many sizes, with different closures, none of the designs are as usefull as Tom Bihn Large OP, none.

It is a new year and I need to scramble to move a previous year, somewhere, to free one of my Large OP from its paper content, the good news is, I realized that Tom Bihn smaller boxes make great containers.

I had to remove the items on my desk, in a hurry, it has been taken over by electronic devices.

Again, more Large OP please.

Comment

Daylight Briefcase in a Design Lab edition with the straps back at the ends (not offset), in Black halcyon /UV and or Taiga halcyon
      I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

2021 Wish List

Originally posted by G42 View Post
        Daylight Briefcase in a Design Lab edition with the straps back at the ends (not offset), in Black halcyon /UV and or Taiga halcyon
        I used to size up to the DLBC when I had excursions in downtown Chicago where I wanted to keep everything on my front side and close to my person.

With the offset shoulder strap attachment points being where they are, you’re always holding the bag’s main compartment half closed. I really loved that bag before the design changed.

How about making the DLBC with an integrated, padded tablet or laptop sleeve, open top, a la the Paragon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest

Comment

Originally posted by Chicagoan View Post
          I used to size up to the DLBC when I had excursions in downtown Chicago where I wanted to keep everything on my front side and close to my person.

With the offset shoulder strap attachment points being where they are, you’re always holding the bag’s main compartment half closed. I really loved that bag before the design changed.

How about making the DLBC with an integrated, padded tablet or laptop sleeve, open top, a la the Paragon?

Agreed DLBC is a great minimal briefcase when carrying not so much and wanting to keep it close to you. But with relatively small capacity, I think adding integrated sleeves would restrict space and flexibility for those not always carrying laptops. For larger bags, such as Synik, I like the laptop compartments. But for smaller bags I prefer separate cache to use when necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBadD View Post
            Agreed DLBC is a great minimal briefcase when carrying not so much and wanting to keep it close to you. But with relatively small capacity, I think adding integrated sleeves would restrict space and flexibility for those not always carrying laptops. For larger bags, such as Synik, I like the laptop compartments. But for smaller bags I prefer separate cache to use when necessary.
            A horizontally oriented dedicated laptop bag would be an ideal candidate for a limited run “Design Lab Edition” bag.

I understand where you’re coming from.

While the S19 is one of my favorite bags (simple, lightweight, with compartmentalized storage) the Synik 22 was a bag I ultimately returned because the added capacity and structure required for a laptop made it much too heavy a bag for dayhiking or even for use as an EDC.

Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest

Comment

The DLBC has become my favorite TB bag (kind of to my surprise...I didn’t expect much from this bag, but it’s sooo versatile). I would love either a souped-up guide’s edition and/or design lab edition; agreed with the straps back at the ends. And as long as we’re dreaming of improvements to that great bag: pen holders...I thing the best spot would be to steal the style used in the Icons, and put them at one end of the main compartment.

Comment

Hi cdgerston,

This solution was not available by the time that you joined the forums, but a number of us used the Field Journal Notebook Pocket Inserts (specifically, the one for pen/pencil) as mini Freudian Slips for the Daylight Briefcase (and other bags; see tpnl's post (#124, dated 06-09-2016) in the Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses thread for pictures where this is transferred to the Daylight Backpack and Pilot, as well).

They figured in my June 2016 review, The new Black (Dark Grid) Halcyon Daylight Briefcase, where you can see pictures of how they integrate with other accessories, but if you just want a discussion of ways to accessorize the Daylight Briefcase (DLBC), see the Daylight briefcase organization accessories? thread. Other similarly sized solutions are the Maxpedition Entity Hook & Loop Low-Profile Panel that ceepee showed in her Travel Cubelet post (and that is mentioned in my linked thread); or for people who like separate pen cases, the Sinclair Zip 3 pen and notebook case from Nock.co might be an option. (It could also be stashed in the DLBC laptop compartment with the top unzipped for access to pens.)

I'll excerpt a few pictures that show the FJN pen/pencil pocket insert:

It can fit in the split pockets of the front zipper, but I prefer to tether it in the main compartment of the DLBC:

For more information on the (second) pocket/pocket FJN insert, and a view of the back zippered pocket that is shared with the pen and pencil /pocket FJN insert, see the FJN Inserts thread.

Before they made the Farewell to the Field Journal Notebook announcement on the blog in 2018, they ran another batch of FJN inserts simply because they were so generally useful.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Thanks moriond, some good suggestions there. I had seen in the past that I’d missed the Field Journal and it’s extras, and I’ve always regretted that a bit. The insert looks perfect. I did add a small Velcro pen holder to the end of the main compartment of the DLBC recently and it’s done the job admirably.

Comment

This is a (poor) shot of the small Velcro pen holder I added to the DLBC. Just a small piece of Velcro tape in the bag, then attached the holder. Works great.

Comment

Just another suggestion: I’ve purchased several PocKit organizers from Yellow Birch Outfitters (https://yellowbirchoutfitters.com/co...ons/the-pockit) and have been impressed with their quality. Although designed more for knives, multitools and the like they can easily be used for pens as well as a some Field Notes.

Comment

The original large shop bag in 200 Halcyon!

Comment

I’ve got to admit, Ursa Brown just might be my favorite color in the entire Tom Bihn line.

Does anyone have experience using Freudian Slips in a DLBC?

I was hoping to buy a Small Cafe Bag FS but it appears those are currently out of stock. Darcy is there an anticipated restock date for those?

Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest

Comment

Chicagoan,

I’ll excerpt from my reply to photocat in another thread: Darcy responded on February 22, 2021 with information on the Cafe Bag Freudian Slips. (I've bolded the relevant sections of her reply)
                            Originally posted by Darcy View Post
                            Synapse 19/Synik 22 and Synapse 25/Synik 30 Freudian Slips will be restocked 2/26.
                            Other Freudian Slips (Cafe Bags, Maker's, etc.) will be restocked in March or available for pre-order.
                            If you want to read more about statements about Cafe Bag FS (and what colors were available and where to see pictures of them if they choose to offer more than Cloud and black), read more of the parent post I linked to and an earlier one above it where I listed all the original color offerings).

For more on FS usage in the Daylight Briefcase, follow some of the links in my posts 5 posts above yours. In the Daylight briefcase organization accessories? that I linked there you’ll find some pictures of the Cafe Bag FS’s in the DLBC, and one in the video link. I don’t think the smal Cafe Bag FS is a generally used one for the DLBC. Other solutions were mentioned in my post, and the PocKit organizers that Ceres suggested show different customized options.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Thanks, moriond!

You’re one helpful dude, and the speed at which you dispense your knowledge must make you some sort of wizard! I must say I’m impressed.

Here’s my organization strategy (so far) for the DLBC:

The one accessory I always use, regardless of the bag it’s attached to, is the Mini Halcyon OP. It holds my car key fob, all my identification and cards, finger bandages, lens cleaning wipes, and even a spare pair of contact lenses. It’s nothing more than a zippered pouch, but I love how much it can hold while still making it easy to find anything stored inside it. Best wallet I ever owned.

Usually the wallet gets clipped into the O-ring inside the front left pocket and my keys are clipped into the right.

Miscellany (pens, charging cords and wall plugs, lip balm) also lives in the front divided pocket.

The back side, curved pocket is where I keep my warm gloves and winter hat. It’s a great place to keep them because it creates padding on the back side of the bag.

The sewn-in interior pocket is where I’ve placed my tablet (iPad Pro 11).

And the main interior volume is more than big enough for a digital point-and-shoot camera, two power banks, binoculars, and a pair of sunglasses, with room to spare.

My two main challenges?

The front diagonal “slash” pocket. I used to own an iPad Mini before upgrading to the Pro, and don’t quite know what to do with this pocket now.

And the main interior volume could use some added organization - while I can keep other things in the same pocket as my wallet and keys, I would prefer not to on the off chance I displace other items in the same pocket.

Appreciate the links, tips and help!

Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest

Comment

I just recently got a DLBC so I don't have much experience with it, but the Makers/Swift FS and the small Cafe FS fit in it. I use the Makers one for my Pilot, but might start using it with the DLBC for pens, which is the one thing I've been struggling to store in the DLBC.

Here are some photos of my Deep Blue / Grass DLBC with a black Makers/Swift FS and a ballistic Island small Cafe FS. I don't have a lot of light in my place so sorry for the dark photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	308005

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	308006

Name:	3.jpg