Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,894   Posts: 192,289   Members: 6,769   Active Members: 314
Welcome to our newest member, Bayareaguy.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Wish List

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1) a new 2022 wish list thread
    2) return of halcyon keystraps (I would also accept cerylon keystraps)
    3) Packing cube shoulder bag updated to have a full clamshell opening (this would require the strap attachment points be moved back to the staggered positions which seems pretty divisive)

Comment

Originally posted by pvn View Post
      2) return of halcyon keystraps (I would also accept cerylon keystraps)
      3) Packing cube shoulder bag updated to have a full clamshell opening (this would require the strap attachment points be moved back to the staggered positions which seems pretty divisive)
      I think a return to the Halcyon keystraps is very unlikely just given the amount of extra sewing that would go into making the keystraps this way. This 2017 blog post about TB keystraps has pictures with both the Halcyon keystraps and the current version that were introduced in 2016. Take a look at how much stitching is involved in sewing the Halcyon keystraps along the entire length of each keystrap.

moriond

Comment

yeah I'm not holding my breath, just wishing.

Comment

yeah I'm not holding my breath, just wishing.
          I actually like the older Cordura Keystraps. These are what they (and the Halcyon keystraps) looked like grabbed from one of my forum posts sometime around Fall 2014:
          Retired Halcyon keystraps

Retired Cordura keystraps
          This isn't a complete range of colors because there was an earlier Crimson short keystrap that wasn't available at the time this group shot was made. The really old blog posts used to both be searchable and a good source of lots of great composite images. I'm not sure this is readily apparent, but the 8" Cordura keystraps (Crimson not shown, because retired at time of this group picture, Olive, Plum, Black, and Storm) used the 1000d Cordura (in special rolls -- again that used to be shown in the old blog posts), while the 16" keystraps used 500d Cordura (Black, Cayenne, Wasabi, and Sapphire)

In the top set of Halcyon keystraps you can see that there was a different fabric for Coyote (introduced for the Skookum Dog line of products), because at that time there were no Coyote Halcyon options (and it was all still called Dyneema). So along with the Ultraviolet, Wasabi, Steel, and Iberian options, the Black and Coyote keystrap materials were like the currrent color option fabrics.

Before the vBulletin5 forrum software upgrade it used to be much easiler to relate images to actual posts --- now, with JASON code, I have to retrieve most references from memory, and it takes about 5 times the amount of work to post working and displayable images. I know these were posted roughly around september 2014, because I remember the parent post for adjacent images, but its actually more of a pain to retrieve things if images are involved.

Comment

moriond I don't even remember where I was in 2014; the fact that you can remember where/when to search old Forum posts is amazing, though I'm sorry it takes so long
            Last edited by G42; 08-03-2022, 08:09 PM.
            I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

There is a 2022 wish list thread, but it got started under the Just for Registered Users forum, which means that you can only view it or post to it if you are using your forum login.

Here's the link to the What is your 2022 wish list? thread under the Just for Registered Users forum. (I don't think that the mods have the authority to change the protected status of this thread after it was created this way; there was some discussion at the time)

Comment

Darcy or MikeV -- with the (hopefully temporary) unavailability of 400d halcyon, is there any chance we will see some Syniks and/or Synapses in some of the old cordura colors, like black, navy, or cocoa? I'd also love to see a Synapse 25 in olive cordura as well (I picked up a Synik 30 last year when it became available, but would buy a Synapse 25 too, if offered). Thanks!
                Last edited by John1970; 08-09-2022, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Got a small batch of fabric swatches in the mail from TB last week and, since I'm waiting on something at work, I'm going to serve up some quick takes on each of the swatches I received. I found it really valuable to actually have some of these fabrics in-hand, because there are some aspects you just can't get a feel for no matter how many photos you look at online.

Navy Parapack - I wanted to get a feel for what Parapack is like, since there's nothing small I can buy to "test drive" the fabric. It feels like it's a mid-point between 400d Halcyon and 525d ballistic. I was surprised at how fine the weave is, and it has a sheen that sort of makes it look "cel-shaded," in the way the light bends off it. IMO, of all the dark blues TB offers, this is the one that is closest to what I consider "true navy," which I like, since that shade of navy is broadly represented in my wardrobe. I get the impression it would hold up well over time, and would definitely consider a pack in Navy Parapack if I wanted something lighter than ballistic.

Deep Blue 525 Ballistic - My other 525 experience has been Ursa, but having some 525 in a more vivid color really brings the strengths of this material to the fore. There's an almost jewel-like luster to it; I'd be tempted to describe this color as "sapphire." To my eyes, it looks darker in most lighting conditions I've viewed it in than in the pictures I've seen here and elsewhere online. In person, it looks a hair darker than 1050 ballistic Navy...though the two are pretty similar.

Wilderness 525 Ballistic - I knew this was a color I'd like, but I wanted to compare it face-to-face with Boreal (another green I also like; more on that below) - gotta get those swatches and make them fight in Swatch Club! Anyway, I came away from this sample very impressed. Love the richness of the color - it's vibrant, but not too bright. As with the Deep Blue, the ballistic thread gives it a certain sheen that feels kind of unique to this fabric. At this point, I am almost certainly going to buy a pack in this fabric, though I'll probably wait until TB switches it over to the 630 ballistic. In recent years, I've been adding more green back into my wardrobe (shirts, mostly), but it's been hard to find packs in greens I really like. This is, surprisingly, a bolder green than I figured I'd take a shine to, but...it does remind me somewhat of my green Jansport from junior high/high school, so it could be the nostalgia talking.

Mountain Grey Cerylon - I was curious about this as an interior fabric, especially after seeing some people comparing it unfavorably to 200d Halcyon and saying it felt "more plastic-y" or somesuch. My verdict? I think it actually feels less plastic-y than 200d Halcyon, though I can likely chalk that up to the more obviously present urethane coating on the Halcyon. I admit, the 200d Halcyon looks more "deluxe," thanks to that diagonal pattern across the white grid, but I like the more matte look of the Cerylon. I don't think it feels cheap, per se, but what it does feel is "thin." I wouldn't have issues with this as a lining fabric at all, but I'd feel less confident having it in things like, say, the Synapse's side-pocket pen slots made out of Cerylon, especially pinched between something like a pocket knife's clip and scales rubbing up and down it day after day. Ultimately, there will be some designs where I don't mind the look 200d Halcyon brings to the table, but it's nice to have Cerylon as an option for packs where I wouldn't want that. But ultimately, I think I still prefer the 210d ballistic over either.

Boreal Texturized Nylon - At some point, moriond told me to get a swatch of this before I committed to buying a pack in this fabric, and I'm glad I took that advice. It seemed like it was going to be basically like Cordura, a fabric I know and like, but...it ever-so-slightly isn't. It's more...is "grainy" the word I'm looking for? There's a light element of burlap-ishness to it that, while not unpleasant, per se, is less nice than regular Cordura would be. I'm currently doing some "home experiments" on my swatch with water and a scrubbing brush to see if I can get it to soften up without too much work, in the way you can get Cordura to soften a bit. The color itself is absolutely killer - I love where it sits, not leaning too much toward "military greens" (i.e. shades like "Foliage" and "Ranger Green"); it has some fade, but without too much desaturation. It strikes me as a color that could effortlessly flex into regular EDC, travel, and camping/hiking and look equally at home in all of those uses. And a shade like this only works the best of its magic in a texturized fabric, too - you need the matte, canvas-ish texture to sell the look.

-------

Of course, these are just impressions based on disembodied pieces of fabric, and shouldn't be taken to represent the fabric's performance in actual use as a real thing like a pack or pouch. Still, I hope someone may get some insight out of them.

Comment

Paragon with the following changes:
                    1. Keep the rain flap around the main zipper, but remove it from the front pocket.
                    2. Make it JUST SLIGHTLY smaller in most dimensions (at least height and width).
                    3. Add more exterior pockets around the sides, Cambiata/Techonaut style. Ideally, they would not change the overall rectangular shape, but protrude into the interior if needed. The killer features for me would be one flat small pocket, sized similarly to the one in the Synik, that has an o-ring and fits an ID/train pass/card in a tiny wallet. It is so easy with my Synik 22 to pull this out and show it the conductor on my train twice a day, without opening the main compartment. Would love to have this feature in my Paragon. In addition, add a side pocket for a water bottle that zips up. This will be more feasible if the bag is slightly reduced in width.
                    4. Make one with a black ballistic and Taiga Halcyon interior, because even with all these great changes, I wouldn't want to give up my current Taiga-interior Paragon.
                    Last edited by bchaplin; 08-25-2022, 06:41 AM.
                    ----
                    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                    Edmund Burke

Comment

Aubergine/Ultraviolet (or Wasabi) Western Flyer. Looking at underseat bags now. Ursa/Moab would be nice too. Or Halcyon.
                      Last edited by s_clarsach; 08-31-2022, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Last summer I realized that a Truckasana would be a useful addition to my bag collection - to carry yoga gear *and* to carry picnic fixings and ground cover. Unfortunately, I'm not keen on any of the colorways that I've seen available. I'm checking the listings regularly and plan to jump as soon as I see a color combo that appeals to me.

Colorways I'm most interested in seeing:
                        First choice exerior: Seapine, Deep Blue or Navy Ballistic
                        Second choice exterior: Aubergine, Burnt Orange or Verde

Interior: Acuity, Zest, Moab, Fjord, Ultraviolet, Wasabi, Sitka or Iberion Halcyon

I'm just sharing this with the universe in case there's any discussion happening of new Truckasana colorways.

Comment

Originally posted by Aventurera View Post
                          Last summer I realized that a Truckasana would be a useful addition to my bag collection - to carry yoga gear *and* to carry picnic fixings and ground cover. Unfortunately, I'm not keen on any of the colorways that I've seen available. I'm checking the listings regularly and plan to jump as soon as I see a color combo that appeals to me.

Colorways I'm most interested in seeing:
                          First choice exerior: Seapine, Deep Blue or Navy Ballistic
                          Second choice exterior: Aubergine, Burnt Orange or Verde

Interior: Acuity, Zest, Moab, Fjord, Ultraviolet, Wasabi, Sitka or Iberion Halcyon

I'm just sharing this with the universe in case there's any discussion happening of new Truckasana colorways.
                          They didn’t make any batches of the Trucksana with the latest color additions (Moab, Zest, Fjord) to my knowledge, but there were more color options in the early releases like Aubergine/Sitka and Constellation/Solaris. Seapine and Logic Blue were made with Northwest Sky interiors.Verde wasn’t an option ( not 525d Ballistic color).Acuity was a Nebulous Grey Interior. They did use ultraviolet. (Just off the top of my head from memory of some combos. Probably others in my wishlist.

HTH.

moriond

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post

They didn’t make any batches of the Trucksana with the latest color additions (Moab, Zest, Fjord) to my knowledge, but there were more color options in the early releases like Aubergine/Sitka and Constellation/Solaris. Seapine and Logic Blue were made with Northwest Sky interiors.Verde wasn’t an option ( not 525d Ballistic color).Acuity was a Nebulous Grey Interior. They did use ultraviolet. (Just off the top of my head from memory of some combos. Probably others in my wishlist.

HTH.

moriond
                            Alas, the Aubergine/Sitka sold out while I was debating whether I needed something like this. And I am generally disinclined to buy something with a grey interior when there is the chance of a more vibrant and beautiful color to be had.

HTH indeed!

Comment

Wistful request for the Snake Charmers and Everyday Cubelet (the neglected accessories) in Zest and Fjord 🙂
                              I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

2023 wish list: I would love the return of 1050 ballistic in Indigo - ideally in the form of the Luminary 12! I prefer the scuff-resistance of the 1050.

If we can’t have 1050 Indigo - can we have it in Cordura? L12, Zeitgeist (*without* the contrast tape, please), Sprout and/or mini/small Yeoman. Pretty please for us petite bag people!

Comment

Working...
                                X