Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,953   Posts: 193,096   Members: 6,829   Active Members: 288
Welcome to our newest member, JuniorCyclist.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Wish List

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's have another round of hats, this time using the new sticker logo

I love my wool TB baseball hat
    “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
    “Sir?”
    “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
    “Sir?”
    “That’s practically zen.”
    -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

1.) Halcyon or Cerylon All Fabric Organizer Pouches.

2.) Coyote Co-Pilots.

3.) Smaller packing cubes! Something smaller than the "small" size A30/A45/WF/TS cubes or PCSB, larger than the Cubelet or 3DOC, and not as structured as something like a Grab Bag, EC, or SE.

4.) NTFD, sans foam insert(s), basically making it a packable, personal-item-size duffel.

5.) Stowaway, in a larger variety of colors.
      I own a LOT of Tom Bihn bags, but here are the ones I'm using right now:
      Everyday Carry: Cambiata
      Hiking Daypack: ADX31

Car and Plane Travel: CP, TS, and SZTSB

Comment

Originally posted by Chicagoan View Post
        3.) Smaller packing cubes! Something smaller than the "small" size A30/A45/WF/TS cubes or PCSB, larger than the Cubelet or 3DOC, and not as structured as something like a Grab Bag, EC, or SE.
        I'll add halcyon/mesh packing cubes. I would prefer the handfeel and durability while sacrificing a little bit of weight.

Comment

Originally posted by hedd View Post

I'll add halcyon/mesh packing cubes. I would prefer the handfeel and durability while sacrificing a little bit of weight.
          I think the all fabric Aether cubes are the best compromise between [high] durability and [low] weight - in my experience the mesh is very prone to snagging and the least durable part of the cubes.

Comment

Originally posted by hedd View Post

I think the all fabric Aether cubes are the best compromise between [high] durability and [low] weight - in my experience the mesh is very prone to snagging and the least durable part of the cubes.
            The Aether offerings for the Western Flyer Packing Cubes appeared late and were more limited in that there was only a mesh version of the Small Western Flyer Packing Cube. By contrast, you had the ability to buy all fabric versions of the Halcyon Small Western Flyer Packing Cubes, and this was a particularly nice option if you were using these packing cubes in other bags such as the Co-Pilot or Little Swift, since it ensured you could slip these in without catching on the items placed in the pockets of the back compartment of the Co-Pilot, for example, and it was also useful if you were using these inside a Smart Alec or Synapse.

Two more comments about the Halcyon Packing Cubes: when Solar was first introduced there was brief period when you could buy packing cubes in Solar Halcyon (I recall this was mainly for the Aeronaut and the Tri-Star — I have a Small Solar Tri-Star Packing Cube in Halcyon). When the Aeronaut 30 debuted the fabric Halcyon end packing cubes were larger than the later Aether versions. Some people found this particularly helpful for shoes, and bartlebyhas mentioned wishing he had stocked up on these.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post

...you had the ability to buy all fabric versions of the Halcyon Small Western Flyer Packing Cubes, and this was a particularly nice option if you were using these packing cubes in other bags such as the Co-Pilot or Little Swift, since it ensured you could slip these in without catching on the items placed in the pockets of the back compartment of the Co-Pilot, for example...
              Exactly!!!

1.) If would be a nice concession, if nothing else, to get some all-fabric cubes for the WF and TS, since the small sizes of each are handy for things like shoes.

2.) Beyond shoes, the all-fabric cubes don't catch on other items inside a packed bag - in my experience the mesh is easy to snag, even when you're careful getting the cubes packed or in/out of a bag.
              Last edited by Chicagoan; 09-30-2022, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I was mainly adding mesh as a cost concession. For instance, the exact line of Aeronaut cubes, but in halcyon is what I was imaging. One day they will realize that we only want halcyon fabric on everything and like 20 colors of 400d and 20 colors of 200d.

Comment

I’d like a tool/utility belt, or at least tool pouches that could slide on to a belt. And I would like a pouch for sharp gardening tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Cristina View Post
                    I’d like a tool/utility belt, or at least tool pouches that could slide on to a belt. And I would like a pouch for sharp gardening tools.
                    Piggybacking on this - the hip belt water bottle pockets were a nice add on/accessory solution to add functionality for those who need it.

How about some shoulder strap pockets (or pouches) that someone can access on their front side? I understand not everyone needs or wants a feature like those but for those of us who could use them they’d be a legitimate game changer.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221015_161041846.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	343412

I've been pleased to see the archived/Design Vault bags put into pre-order or announced restock over the past couple of years... Other than the NFTD, the one I'd really like to see again is the MF...
                      So putting in another plug for a run of 1050 Ballistic Moveable Feast
                      (this bag seems really well suited for 1050, helps it stand up and maintain shape)
                      “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
                      “Sir?”
                      “Sir?”

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221015_161041846.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	343412

I've been pleased to see the archived/Design Vault bags put into pre-order or announced restock over the past couple of years... Other than the NFTD, the one I'd really like to see again is the MF...
                        So putting in another plug for a run of 1050 Ballistic Moveable Feast
                        (this bag seems really well suited for 1050, helps it stand up and maintain shape)
                        They designed this as a grocery store or farmer’s market bag, but I just like the idea of a TALL tote that isn’t also a wide one. I use a Monster Truck when I go car camping, and while the overall size is great, it’s a very shallow tote - I have to be careful nothing tips out of the bag and gets left behind.

I think introducing new bags at the same time of reintroducing old designs is a really great idea, letting a new designer’s work co-exist alongside an already successful line of staple bags.

Comment

They designed this as a grocery store or farmer’s market bag, but I just like the idea of a TALL tote that isn’t also a wide one. I use a Monster Truck when I go car camping, and while the overall size is great, it’s a very shallow tote - I have to be careful nothing tips out of the bag and gets left behind.
                          Good point, the vertical is indeed a reason I like this bag!
                          It's very compact in feel but spacious in practice... The folks at Trader Joe's are always surprised by how much I can pack into it. Usually I'm good with the one I have, but sometimes I do a bigger restock grocery run and a second would be useful, even if the special flap inside the end was removed. I mostly use the overall sections and main compartment bottle holders.
                          “Sir?”
                          “Sir?”

Comment

I am certain you’ve addressed this in the past, but do you find that the bottom of the MF ever bumps against the ground while you’re walking? It’s a taller tote but with shorter handles than the Shop Bags, so I’m curious what your experience is. Again, I’m certain this has been addressed elsewhere so apologies (and thanks in advance).

Originally posted by G42 View Post

Good point, the vertical is indeed a reason I like this bag!
                            It's very compact in feel but spacious in practice... The folks at Trader Joe's are always surprised by how much I can pack into it. Usually I'm good with the one I have, but sometimes I do a bigger restock grocery run and a second would be useful, even if the special flap inside the end was removed. I mostly use the overall sections and main compartment bottle holders.

Comment

Originally posted by Cristina View Post
                              I am certain you’ve addressed this in the past, but do you find that the bottom of the MF ever bumps against the ground while you’re walking? It’s a taller tote but with shorter handles than the Shop Bags, so I’m curious what your experience is. Again, I’m certain this has been addressed elsewhere so apologies (and thanks in advance).
                              Gosh, like I can remember if I've mentioned something before!?
                              I don't have moriond 's encyclopedic memory ?
                              The MF handles are indeed short! I'm out and about with it now and don't have a measure handy, but when I carry it, it comes down to mid/low calf or so, definitely high enough that I don't worry about it scuffing. I'm 5'4", usually wear petite height/length clothes... You're taller than me so shouldn't have any trouble.
                              Since the handles are shorter, it's good for hand carry and crook of elbow, but not easily for shoulder.
                              “Sir?”
                              “Sir?”

Comment

Reposting after it was lost in the reset.

I'd like to see Jose's interpretation of a smaller Brain Bag'ish bag - to be my ideal factory travel bag

Two compartments...

First one with side & clamshell access to laptop plus flat files and/or flat packing cube/tie downs

Second section (not full clamshell) for more 3d things like SSC & 3DOC...

Then some sort of 3D exterior pockets, BB or Synapse style (or Paradigm/Paramour)

Zip up gusset water bottle pockets, like from the Cambiata, on both sides

So basically a 20-32L mutant mash up of Brain Bag, Synapse/Synik & Cambiata 😁
                                Sized less than 20" high to shoulder straps, for those of us who are short (16-18" would be great). The BB makes up the volume be being a bit wider.

I tend to carry 1-2 laptops, some files, SSC/3DOCs, two water/coffee bottles, want easy access to snacks, badges, earplugs, wipes, Kleenex, etc.

Bonus points for clothes and/or bump cap... priority on bump cap & equipment as I can always bring another bag for clothes/toiletries, but on busy travel factory days, I may go to multiple locations with a bunch of gear and need to have quick access to a variety of things.

FLAT BOTTOM, so it doesn't fall over

And yeah, that's wicked specific for my use case
                                Last edited by G42; 10-26-2022, 06:11 PM.
                                “Sir?”
                                “Sir?”

Comment

Working...
                                X