Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,587   Posts: 188,431   Members: 6,565   Active Members: 323
Welcome to our newest member, Jade877792.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Wish List

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would love to see Fjord return!

Comment

I would love to see:
      -zip top shop bags in sitka and the other limited edition Halcyon colors
      -original shop bags in Iberian
      -return of dark-grid Nordic Halcyon
      -more items in Seapine (rather than mostly accessories)
      -more cool colors in the line-up
      -PUT in the recycled fabrics (Seapine, Logic Blue)
      -Laundry Stuff sacks in the limited edition Halcyon colors

Comment

2021 Wish List

My #1 wish?

A hiking backpack.

Ideally, a backpack able to haul at least three days of gear, but if that’s not possible, at least for an overnight.

At present there isn’t a bag in the line big enough to fit both a tent and sleeping bag.

Even if you could cram both into an existing bag, you would also need enough space for a cook kit, food, 2-3L of water, spare clothing, etc.

I am hoping the introduction of the breathable back panel on the new Shadow Guide packs is a step in that direction.

And the external lash points used on the Guide’s Edition packs would help build out carrying capacity: a tent or sleeping bag could be carried using these.

The only days I don’t wear a Tom Bihn bag are the days I go backpacking (I’ll even use a Monster Truck when car camping).

Has Tom ever considered making a hiking backpack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest

Comment

I'd love a limited run of the Large Cafe Bag. I'd also love it if the folks at Tom Bihn could bring back the top pack of the Hero's Journey in some way shape or form - just seems like a nice convertible pack that would solve a few problems for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicagoan View Post
            My #1 wish?

A hiking backpack.

Ideally, a backpack able to haul at least three days of gear, but if that’s not possible, at least for an overnight.

At present there isn’t a bag in the line big enough to fit both a tent and sleeping bag.

Even if you could cram both into an existing bag, you would also need enough space for a cook kit, food, 2-3L of water, spare clothing, etc.

I am hoping the introduction of the breathable back panel on the new Shadow Guide packs is a step in that direction.

And the external lash points used on the Guide’s Edition packs would help build out carrying capacity: a tent or sleeping bag could be carried using these.

The only days I don’t wear a Tom Bihn bag are the days I go backpacking (I’ll even use a Monster Truck when car camping).

Has Tom ever considered making a hiking backpack?

Me too, my only non-TB bags are my day-hike pack (gossamer gear vagabond packable), and my overnight-to-week-long hiking pack (gossamer gear kumo). I did purchase the guides pack last year to try hiking, since I am an ultra-light hiker I thought I could make it work, but the lack of side pockets and mesh front pocket just didn’t make it possible. I think the parapack material is also too stiff and lacks the pliability of traditional hiking packs. I was so bummed because that is a gorgeous looking bag. Since weight is such a consideration for me, I doubt it would worth it to TB to make such a specialized product.

"Not all who wander are lost"
            "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
            Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Comment

I would LOVE to see more vertically oriented zip top (not flap) crossbody bags.

Right now we have I think just the Everyday Cubelet (I own one, but it's too compact for EDC for me) to choose from and I guess technically the ICON- I own both, but the shape is a bit weird and the contents aren't as visible as with bags like the SideKick.

My vision is a SideKick turned on it's end with the zipper across the short side. In a perfect world this vertically oriented version of the SK would also have the back open top pocket of the Cafe Bags too and the grab handle.

I know this (flapless cafe bag/vertical SK) idea has been rejected before, but I don't understand why when there are so many horizontally oriented zip top bags. It seems like a void that needs filled right?

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamer View Post
                I would LOVE to see more vertically oriented zip top (not flap) crossbody bags.

Right now we have I think just the Everyday Cubelet (I own one, but it's too compact for EDC for me) to choose from and I guess technically the ICON- I own both, but the shape is a bit weird and the contents aren't as visible as with bags like the SideKick.

My vision is a SideKick turned on it's end with the zipper across the short side. In a perfect world this vertically oriented version of the SK would also have the back open top pocket of the Cafe Bags too and the grab handle.

I know this (flapless cafe bag/vertical SK) idea has been rejected before, but I don't understand why when there are so many horizontally oriented zip top bags. It seems like a void that needs filled right?
                I think a side kick turned vertically would be too tall and narrow for easy access. It’d probably either need to be wider, or have an L-zip opening.

Personally I prefer horizontally oriented bags because the vertical ones turn into black holes, but I do think there’d be decent demand for a zip top version of the cafe bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrealle View Post
                  I think a side kick turned vertically would be too tall and narrow for easy access. It’d probably either need to be wider, or have an L-zip opening.

Personally I prefer horizontally oriented bags because the vertical ones turn into black holes, but I do think there’d be decent demand for a zip top version of the cafe bags.
                  That's true. I just checked the sizes, the SK is about an inch shorter in height and length, and a fraction of an inch depth wise. The dimensions of the SCB would be great though.

Comment

2021 Wish List

I would still love to see a PCSB with a similar, or even the same, level of internal organization as the Side Kick.

Reorienting the SK vertically would have the same effect as the Luminary backpacks: the built in organization is all at the bottom of the main compartment, which is great for holding tall items like a waterbottle, but also means you have to be mindful that the smaller and heavier items will fall toward the bottom of the bag. I like using the top half of my L15 to stuff an unused jacket, or some items picked up from the store.

It also sounds like a zip-top version of the Cafe Bag. I couldn’t ever make that bag work for me mostly because it lacked built in organization, promoting use of Freudian Slips and smaller pouches that could clip onto the O-rings. Some folks like it fine. Some love it. I just couldn’t ever make it work.

Tom and/or Nik, if you can come up with a small zip-top crossbody deep enough to contain a waterbottle (and still zip shut!) which also has built in organization, put me on the preorder list for whatever that bag is, because I want one. There are many times I have more than can fit in a Side Kick, but too little to fill a Luminary 15.

On a super related note, both my Design Lab edition PCSBs came in the mail today and I’m super impressed at how much they fit. As of late I’ve only been carrying an EC (think point and shoot camera bag that can hold keys and a wallet) but it’s also winter here in Chicago and it’s easy to leave my hat and gloves behind when they don’t fit in my bag.

This post meandered far further than I intended it to, or didn’t.

What I mean to say is, add some pockets to this PCSB and I’ll be glad to buy another one.

Make a vertical SK that can fit a water bottle, and I’ll gladly buy one of those, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest

Comment

Originally posted by Chicagoan View Post
                      Tom and/or Nik, if you can come up with a small zip-top crossbody deep enough to contain a waterbottle (and still zip shut!) which also has built in organization, put me on the preorder list for whatever that bag is, because I want one. There are many times I have more than can fit in a Side Kick, but too little to fill a Luminary 15.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      Just out of curiosity, have you tried (or considered) a co-pilot? Seems like it would check a lot of those boxes..

Comment

Originally posted by Surrealle View Post
                        Just out of curiosity, have you tried (or considered) a co-pilot? Seems like it would check a lot of those boxes..
                        Surrealle, funny you mention that.

I actually owned a Coyote 1050 Co-Pilot and used it often while on business travel as my personal item and tradeshow bag.

Back when I was still trying to maintain a “one in, one out” policy I sold the bag to buy another.

If they made it in Coyote 525, I’d probably pick up another.

Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest

Comment

I've been really enjoying my HLT1 as an EDC for the essentials. I'd love to see a v2 / Design Labs edition with a slight modification. If they could move the pocket underneath the mesh zippered part and move it to the outside of HLT. Like an opening on the short side behind the belt loops with the PIKA fuzzy material inside (I think they had trouble sourcing that) or the stretchy material from the back of the Freudian Slip. It would be nice for putting your phone (or whatever else) in and having easy access without unzipping the HLT.

Other wishes:
                          White grid Nordic
                          Large Cafe Bag
                          Guide's Pack top and side pockets
                          Yeoman stuff sack size 2's for stacking inside the Guide's Pack / Shadowguide
                          A Ristretto 11" or a SCB/MCB with a little extra organization for carrying an iPad
                          Ballistic medium organizer pouches to give the PCSB some rigidity
                          A nice hot pink color to go with Viridian for some Miami Vice vibes
                          Ballistic Travel Trays
                          Tartan Shepherd's Wool Utility Cloth

Comment

I'm wishing for these vaccines to somehow be manufactured in greater quantities than expected so we can get this pandemic over with, we can all get back to traveling and TB can stop making masks and make more bags!

Comment

Christina wrote:
                              Hoping to see a PCSB-sized Side Kick in 2021. It would be the perfect companion bag-in-bag for the SG23 (or SG33) top pocket!

I **SO** second this! The Icon doesn't work that well.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

A limited re-edition (Design Lab Edition?) of the Imago!
                                And health, safety and happiness to all!

Comment

Working...
                                X