Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,587   Posts: 188,423   Members: 6,565   Active Members: 323
Welcome to our newest member, Jade877792.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Wish List

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI, just checked w/Kat - no more Yeoman cubes of any size left
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

moriond
      I wasn’t interested in the YD packing cubes at the time, because I bought my first YD after they were retired. I managed to buy a used one for the mini YD afterwards which I like as a packing cube, but it’s not really what I was thinking of here. I was really thinking more of a very lightweight tote bag (the size where you could carry some papers or ring binders comfortably). Not a lot of depth to the bag necessary. And I wouldn’t need to be able to carry super heavy loads in it. I have one of those packable shopping totes they sell in drugstores which works as an emergency bag in a pinch, but the quality is pretty awful. Although, now that I’m talking about it, Aether might still be too rigid for what I’m thinking. More like the material the travel pillow is made from (not sure if that can hold anything).

Comment

Originally posted by logella View Post
        How is the SideKick not the answer to this? It's exactly what I use mine for. It's my in-flight/seat bag that carries all of the above several small snacks. Sometimes I'll bring my Co-Pilot instead if I want a touch more space and not be bothered with hand carrying a water bottle.
        Originally posted by G42 View Post
        Besides the Side Kick as mentioned, the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag and Daylight Briefcase are used for this too.
        The change previously from side strap attachments to offset front/back attachments on several bags made it more awkward to use swivel carabiners on some bags, but note that the Design Lab editions of the PCSB have the end attachments again.
        Originally posted by BigBadD View Post
        Sidekick for me meets such requirements.
        Far too big! As I mentioned, the travel cubelet is almost perfect.

5.7” (w) x 7.3” (h) x 3” (d) / 145 (w) x 185 (h) x 75 (d) mm

The sidekick is comparatively huge:

9.6" (w) x 7.5" (h) x 2.8" (d) / 245 (w) x 190 (h) x 70 (d) mm
        Last edited by stuplarosa; 02-08-2021, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stuplarosa View Post
          Far too big! As I mentioned, the travel cubelet is almost perfect.
          The Side Effect may work for you. Even though the EC and SE are close in size I find the Side Effect more roomy than the Travel Cubelet. And they both can carry a Kindle Paperwhite.
          Last edited by Shortie; 02-08-2021, 03:08 PM.

Comment

FYI, just checked w/Kat - no more Yeoman cubes of any size left
            Sorry G42, I should have specified that they were still selling them as of May 2018!.

Comment

Originally posted by Shortie View Post
              The Side Effect may work for you. Even though the EC and SE are close in size I find the Side Effect more roomy than the Travel Cubelet. And they both can carry a Kindle Paperwhite.
              I agree with this. This is excerpted from my usage of the Side Effect 7 years ago (where I even carried an iPad Mini in case in addition to a Kindle Paperwhite)

For turning the Side Effect into a seat pocket bag on airline flights, I was referring to this post in the Double Carabiner, 4 thumbs up! thread from nearly 2 years ago, which showed pictures like these:

and the close-up showing how the clips can swivel to make the connection work better:

This happens to be a 400d Black Dyneema/Wasabi Side Effect, so that I can hold my iPad Mini along with Kindle, and other items, but it will work for any Side Effect (if I don't need to carry the iPad Mini in its red, SwitchEasy Canvas hard case with smart cover shown in the picture).

Comment

Would love a limited edition of the Smart Alec - most comfortable backpack ever.

Would love a Western Flyer in the new halcyon colors, Taiga/Taiga, Black/Taiga...

And would love a one compartment Western Flyer. Yes, I keep checking eBay and I have scissors....

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                  Sorry G42, I should have specified that they were still selling them as of May 2018!.
                  I was just making sure, in case there was a hidden stash

I have a mini and two smalls from trades - they are nifty
                  I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by b1gsky View Post
                    moriond
                    I wasn’t interested in the YD packing cubes at the time, because I bought my first YD after they were retired. I managed to buy a used one for the mini YD afterwards which I like as a packing cube, but it’s not really what I was thinking of here. I was really thinking more of a very lightweight tote bag (the size where you could carry some papers or ring binders comfortably). Not a lot of depth to the bag necessary. And I wouldn’t need to be able to carry super heavy loads in it. I have one of those packable shopping totes they sell in drugstores which works as an emergency bag in a pinch, but the quality is pretty awful. Although, now that I’m talking about it, Aether might still be too rigid for what I’m thinking. More like the material the travel pillow is made from (not sure if that can hold anything).
                    I don't know that it would be worth the labor time/cost for TB to make a super simple foldable bag given the competition and difficulty in creating a value add... that's my opinion of course.

For those very small packable thin shop bags, I usually use Reisenthel. They have the 'smart shopper' bag with handles similar to a plastic grocery bag and also drawstring laundry bags that you can of course use for whatever. Baggu also makes similar simple inexpensive bags.

Comment

I have been using a Sea to Summit duffel for years. They are pricey, but I got mine from the REI clearance bin for under $20 with sales tax many moons ago.

The handles are not comfortable to carry when loaded/heavy and it has to be carried by hand. But it has saved me many pennies overseas where they charge for flimsy shopping bags or not provide any shopping bag at all.

I also have a couple of the cheap shopping bags described earlier in this thread. Their handles are longer so they can be carried over my shoulders. I keep them in my car for the times when I do not have my Tom Bihn shop bags.

But during travel, I bring the Sea to Summit duffel because I find multiple uses for it (use it to bag my personal carry bag before storing under under airline seat; bag my backpack to protect shoulder straps before storing in overhead bin: store items in a locker while using backpack for day’s adventure; bag to send items I do not want to carry to next hotel; and then as shopping bag at destination.

Comment

G42 and Walker - thanks I'll have a look at both brands. I just wanted one with decent construction, where the seams aren't fraying within a month. I know TB would get that (and material choice) right.

Comment

Originally posted by bijoux View Post
                          Could we also please have some MESH MINI organiser pouches. I've found that coins fall out of my ghost whales.
                          Hi bijoux,

I really like those pouches, too, but I think it's unlikely they'll bring them back into production. The back of the pouch uses 1050d Ballistic Nylon, which they've moved away from. The mesh at the front of the pouch a finer grade of mesh than used for the mesh in the Ghost Whaler Organizer Pouches, or in the Coyote spacer mesh backing in the Guide's Edition backpacks, and the small YKK zipper tabs look unique to these pouches. Since they handed off production of the Mini size of the Coyote mesh pouch to the Skookum Dog organizer pouch product line, and there was at 1 or 2 years when the only Mini Coyote Pouch was being produced by Skookum Dog, I think it's fair to say that interest in maintaining this in active production had waned. Then, they decided to close down the Skookum Dog line (even before CoVid-19 became a factor in reorganizing products).

I think you have a better chance of eventually getting a Clear Organizer Wallet with 525d Ballistic Nylon backing since those were one of the items that were originally planned to go into production before CoVid-19 forced a massive reorganization of production lines. But check with Customer Support on this.

Best,

moriond

Comment

Hi bijoux,

I really like those pouches, too, but I think it's unlikely they'll bring them back into production. The back of the pouch uses 1050d Ballistic Nylon, which they've moved away from. The mesh at the front of the pouch a finer grade of mesh than used for the mesh in the Ghost Whaler Organizer Pouches, or in the Coyote spacer mesh
                            Any type/colour of mesh would be suitable. Full mesh pouch without fabric backing would also be good. I've tried clear org pouches but the plastic is too sticky for coins.

Comment

Yes +1 The old IKEA knalla tote is a perfect design and also washable.
                              That is like what I envision. My idea occurred when dealing with the “disposable” plastic grocery store bags I have been forced to use sometimes.

Did you guys ever consider the Yeoman Duffel Aether Packing Cubes moriond
                              Packing cubes were the source of how durable and light Aether can be used. I do have some Yeoman packing cubes and they are my only all aether products showing how light, durable and flexible it could be. The zippers on all 3 sides would be a nightmare worrying they wouldn’t open. I would wish for simple along the Apple design concept of take everything away and only add back the needs.

I don't know that it would be worth the labor time/cost for TB to make a super simple foldable bag given the competition and difficulty in creating a value add... that's my opinion of course.
                              For those very small packable thin shop bags, I usually use Reisenthel. They have the 'smart shopper' bag with handles similar to a plastic grocery bag and also drawstring laundry bags that you can of course use for whatever. Baggu also makes similar simple inexpensive bags.
                              I looked at the Reisenthel bags. I would like something simpler – 3 sewn sides and open top with simple handle cut in (with minimal reinforcement), a single material, and could be significantly simpler than a packing cube.
                              About the worth of TB labor time/cost, I would disagree completely. They produce commodity packing cubes and face masks, yet there is a market for quality. The face masks are even unbranded. I simple shop bag with the quality of the packing cubes with similar stress and strains would not be within the scope and process of the brand imo.

Originally posted by b1gsky View Post
                              G42 and Walker - thanks I'll have a look at both brands. I just wanted one with decent construction, where the seams aren't fraying within a month. I know TB would get that (and material choice) right.
                              +1

Comment

Any type/colour of mesh would be suitable. Full mesh pouch without fabric backing would also be good. I've tried clear org pouches but the plastic is too sticky for coins.
                                I use the super mini spacer mesh Ghost Whale for my coins - hopefully they'll come back in stock

Comment

Working...
                                X