Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,586   Posts: 188,411   Members: 6,562   Active Members: 320
Welcome to our newest member, Arlene31H3.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming soon! Six-layer V6 Face Mask

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linh.n
    replied
    Are you saying that v1 was a bit too small as soon as you put it on, even without talking?
    Almost. It's fine really, just feels small (w/o talking.. even with talking, it's doable). But it sounds like I may be similar to you then and go w/ the small v6. I mean, it can't be worse than the small v2, so I should be fine regardless, lol. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by linh.n View Post
    Anyone have any experience relative to the V1 (before sizing, so small I think) and V2 small/med? V1 for me was a bit too small, workable, but not great. V2 was better, but talking is meh. V6 design seems like it'd help with talking, but I'm right in the middle on sizing, lol. I know they err on going m/L, but I'm kinda feeling it'd be too big.
    linh.n, see my post #39 in the present thread. Are you saying that v1 was a bit too small as soon as you put it on, even without talking? Because for me (see details in post) Small/Medium is the correct size, but I can use Medium/Large in the v1 and v2 versions. (This is about fit, not about talking). To me the V4 and V6 Small/Medium designs feel slightly larger than Small/Medium in v1 and v2 masks, and I measure at the cusp between the two sizes, but find the Small/Medium the correct size for me in all the masks. In the v6 mask, now that I have ordered the Medium/Large size version as well, I’d say that is too large for my face. But since you claim that the Small/Medium v1 mask is too small for you, maybe you need a larger size than I do.

What’s tricky is that the v6 mask requires you to wear it and wash it for a while to obtain the optimal fit.

HTH

moriond

Leave a comment:

• linh.n
    replied
    Anyone have any experience relative to the V1 (before sizing, so small I think) and V2 small/med? V1 for me was a bit too small, workable, but not great. V2 was better, but talking is meh. V6 design seems like it'd help with talking, but I'm right in the middle on sizing, lol. I know they err on going m/L, but I'm kinda feeling it'd be too big.

Leave a comment:

• NWhikergal
    replied
    I wanted to post a follow up to my initial impression of the V6 mask (size small) now that I have had a chance to wear it at the office for 10 hours. While my initial impression was that it was too big for my face and it did not fit me well, after I washed it a couple of times it became more malleable. Today I wore it for an extended period of time at the office, and I was extremely pleased with its breathability, particularly considering the number of layers, and I felt it overall molded to my face well. It took a bit of adjustment to both the nose piece and ear straps to eliminate gaps, but once I got it dialed in correctly, it felt good. I also think my voice seemed less muffled when I spoke compared to some masks I have tried. Given the fabric and increased layers, this mask seemed to take additional "break in" time compared to the other cloth masks I have tried, but I do appreciate the structure of the design once it is broken in. I will likely be placing an order for more, as given the most recent guidance, I would prefer to wear one multilayered mask rather than attempt to double mask.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 01-28-2021, 05:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Originally posted by kgm View Post
    Thank you. I wouldn’t double up on a V6 either. I was just wondering if a single V6 would be as effective as double masking. I assume that if it fits well, it would be.
    I don't know that we can say either way without lab testing, but I'm comfortable enough with my other behaviors to go with that assumption... The 'Swiss Cheese' model of layering safeguards - all of which have holes - to get a better end result is how I deal with all this and having better fitting/better filtration is just another one of those layers...

Leave a comment:

• kgm
    replied
    Thank you. I wouldn’t double up on a V6 either. I was just wondering if a single V6 would be as effective as double masking. I assume that if it fits well, it would be.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Originally posted by kgm View Post
    Now that there are recommendations to double mask, I’m curious if people feel comfortable wearing the V6 on its own. I don’t think I could wear another mask under my V6, but I certainly could under my earlier version TB masks.
    My understanding of the double masking is that it's to help increase the layers (ie, two single layer or double layer hand made masks) and/or improve the fit (ie, a handmade mask that provides a tighter fit over a surgical style that provides the filtering).

The V6 is attempting to do that by having the fit be adjustable and formed to the face with the inside multiple poly layers doing the heavy duty filtering, so I won't personally be doublemasking a V6.

Leave a comment:

• kgm
    replied
    Now that there are recommendations to double mask, I’m curious if people feel comfortable wearing the V6 on its own. I don’t think I could wear another mask under my V6, but I certainly could under my earlier version TB masks.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Originally posted by marbenais View Post
    These are the best I can do; for some reason I can’t get the right angles today. I drew arrows where the black nose strip touches my skin.

It might just be that the individual mask I got has a longer piece than any of the V4s that I have do.
    Or that I need to stick with the V3s which fit nicely once I shrink them, but aren’t this shaped anymore (the first one when new). I’ve lightly ironed the chin part of a V3 to keep the structure a little bit longer.
    Hmmm...your mask looks like the 3 I have - so I don't think it's the length of the tape per say, but how it's folding for you. Darcy may have thoughts on this to help too

The black tape shouldn't be touching your face - so that edge you pointed out should be angled away a bit more from your skin, by the fold in front of it.

Not sure if these photos will help, but I put on the mask, formed it to my face, and took it off preserving the folds... this mask has a Peet's coffee tie in the tape but one of my others still has the metal strip that TB uses because that mask's tape pocket was sewn a tad too tight. I prefer the Peet's ties because they're wider and I think maintain their shape longer, but it's not a huge difference.

In any case, you can see that the black tape is facing away from the inside of the mask.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210127_154038373.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	307895

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210127_154012997.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	307896

Other than trying another V6 just to see if it's a tiny variable, perhaps you could try using a coffee bag tie or more of the TB metal strips to make the shaping more secure, twist those side sections away from your face a bit more, and see how that works.

Everyone's face is shaped differently, so if the slope below your eye to your check is just so - then maybe the edge will keep wanting to curl back on itself and annoy you regardless...

Another thing I find very useful is to make sure to slightly preform the nose piece over a finger before putting on the mask; then I put it on, shaping it to my nose, then my checks - ensuring the fold is right; then put the earloops on and tighten them.
    I find that if I have the earloops too tight before I fit the mask, it rides up too high. That's also my issue with the M/L sizes of the TB masks - they're ok if I wear them over another mask (like a surgical mask) but they're a touch too big for my face and ride up into the soft skin under my eyes otherwise.

HTH a bit

Leave a comment:

• marbenais
    replied
    Originally posted by G42 View Post
    If you're willing, take a pic....if not you wearing it, maybe just show how it's folded... it would help to see if anything is weird on that particular mask

These are the best I can do; for some reason I can’t get the right angles today. I drew arrows where the black nose strip touches my skin.

It might just be that the individual mask I got has a longer piece than any of the V4s that I have do.
    Or that I need to stick with the V3s which fit nicely once I shrink them, but aren’t this shaped anymore (the first one when new). I’ve lightly ironed the chin part of a V3 to keep the structure a little bit longer.

Leave a comment:

• bxvr
    replied
    Are the nose bridge pieces longer on the V6 pattern than others? With the fold, the sealed edges are scratching under my eyes and it's uncomfortable. The three V4 masks I have seem to have shorter black strips, so they don't push against my skin.
    (I know those pieces are probably not kept to a strict QA size because they're not cut fabric, but the S/M size masks have to be washed and dried on hot a few times to fit me and a shorter strip to hold the metal piece makes a big difference in the comfort and seal of the masks. I use a metal piece shorter than the provided one so it just covers my nose and doesn't need to be flared against the flat part under my eyes.)
    I think this might be what’s happening with me too. I’m finding that there’s a slight gap on one side of my nose because the metal piece isn’t quite snug, and then on the other side the black fabric is rubbing against the bottom of my eye a bit. I’ll try a shorter metal piece and see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Yes, the black nose piece is on the outside of the mask, but with the fold on the top of the mask and the width of my face, the ends of that piece are against my skin, not the inner part of the folded fabric (still on the outside of the mask, not the inside).
    If you're willing, take a pic....if not you wearing it, maybe just show how it's folded... it would help to see if anything is weird on that particular mask
    Last edited by G42; 01-25-2021, 03:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• marbenais
    replied
    Originally posted by G42 View Post
    Do you have the black nose piece facing away from your skin or touching your skin?
    Just in case - check out the product page and video again - that section should not be touching your skin.
    Yes, the black nose piece is on the outside of the mask, but with the fold on the top of the mask and the width of my face, the ends of that piece are against my skin, not the inner part of the folded fabric (still on the outside of the mask, not the inside).

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Are the nose bridge pieces longer on the V6 pattern than others? With the fold, the sealed edges are scratching under my eyes and it's uncomfortable. The three V4 masks I have seem to have shorter black strips, so they don't push against my skin.
    (I know those pieces are probably not kept to a strict QA size because they're not cut fabric, but the S/M size masks have to be washed and dried on hot a few times to fit me and a shorter strip to hold the metal piece makes a big difference in the comfort and seal of the masks. I use a metal piece shorter than the provided one so it just covers my nose and doesn't need to be flared against the flat part under my eyes.)
    Do you have the black nose piece facing away from your skin or touching your skin?
    Just in case - check out the product page and video again - that section should not be touching your skin.

Leave a comment:

• Ginkgo
    replied
    Hi everyone! I haven't posted here in awhile. I just placed my V6 order, with head strap. I made my own cloth masks early on (I'm in NYC and I've been here since the beginning of the pandemic), but it is time for a mask upgrade, beyond my own sewing skill set. Darcy Would you happen to have a picture of the spunbond polypropylene used in the V6? I've read descriptions of it as a material similar to food-grade reusable grocery totes. Please stay safe, everyone!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X