Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,585   Posts: 188,391   Members: 6,557   Active Members: 310
Welcome to our newest member, Sharron99O.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early preview of the upcoming Paragon backpack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darcy are those Coyote halcyon TSS and Cubelet in the updated photos? or new Taiga? Not always sure if my laptop colours render true
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by ayazgood View Post
      What's the size of the laptop shown in the pics? Just curious how various size laptops will look and fit in the pocket.
      That's a Pinebook Pro (329mm x 220mm x 12mm)

Originally posted by G42 View Post
      Darcy are those Coyote halcyon TSS and Cubelet in the updated photos? or new Taiga? Not always sure if my laptop colours render true
      Coyote
      Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Looking at the new photos and the two base lash points...
        The disco'd Aether sleeping back stuff sack looks like it would fit there really well since it was about 14" long and the pack is listed as 13.4" wide. Not necessarily for a sleeping bag - it's a good size for a picnic blanket, warmer coat/fleece, etc., if there's not enough room inside the pack, and it can be under filled.

Depending on the distance between the tie downs (they look reasonably close in the photo), the current (smaller) size #4 Travel Stuff Sack may also work.
        That would be good to see a photo of Darcy

That Coyote/Coyote GE is making me rethink my initial Taiga/Taiga decision - or I may have two Paragons in my future
        Last edited by G42; 01-27-2021, 09:53 PM.
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
          I'm sorry the Edgeless straps don't work for you. Overall, the feedback we've gotten is that most folks prefer the Edgeless straps to others, so we do plan to make most backpacks with the Edgeless from now on.

There's a reallllly small backpack design Tom is working on (think along the lines of the Sprout) that might have different straps.

No dedicated pocket for a water bottle. Once I get my hands on a Paragon, I'll stow my water bottle in the main compartment nestled between some other items.
          Hello Darcy, can you say anything more about the little backpack with different straps? The edgeless straps are great for a lot of people I know, but don't work for me either -- and I look forward to a reallllly small backpack for people who don't carry around a laptop. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
            That Coyote/Coyote GE is making me rethink my initial Taiga/Taiga decision - or I may have two Paragons in my future
            Ha ha, just thought about the same, G42 or perhaps three? Black/Coyote is so gorgeous! But Taiga/Taiga looks way better than I thought it would from just looking at the samples. It's always amazing how different the fabric colors look when you finally see the bag. And I love the black grid/white grid combination in the Taiga/Taiga scheme! Wouldn't have thought that it would be so appealing!
            ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
            current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

Kinda wish I still had a guardian light to add onto the T/T Paragon...just so I could have a Taiga/Taiga burning bright...

Comment

Originally posted by bartleby View Post
                Ha ha, just thought about the same, G42 or perhaps three? Black/Coyote is so gorgeous! But Taiga/Taiga looks way better than I thought it would from just looking at the samples. It's always amazing how different the fabric colors look when you finally see the bag. And I love the black grid/white grid combination in the Taiga/Taiga scheme! Wouldn't have thought that it would be so appealing!
                So true! - the difference between full size bags and little swatches is amazing. The overall shape and how the geometry of the trim / edges is defined makes a huge difference to me in terms of overall look.

I'm still obsessed with overall functionality, but how they look is such a fun part of picking out which one to get

Comment

Originally posted by marbenais View Post
                  I love the aesthetic of the 525 Nebulous Grey/Ultraviolet 200 Halcyon but would go with the Black 400 Halcyon exterior because my experience with the Luminary 12 doesn't make me confident about putting harder objects inside without their outlines showing up in wear on the 525 exterior. The warning about Halcyon 400 is not comforting, Darcy!
                  (Yes, I'm quoting myself.) Now that I've seen more pictures of the Guide's Edition version, I am very tempted by it, and I've never been interested in those editions of bags before! I could attach a travel umbrella with the bottom lash straps, a water bottle to the top attachment point with a strap or a carabiner . . .
                  I walked around French cities with a water bottle on the strap of the Side Kick, attached to a backpack would be fine. (I used a carabiner to attach it to the sternum strap attachment straps on the Aeronaut 45 while traveling. Not very aesthetic but easy.)

Is the entire back Coyote on the non-Coyote colors or just the shoulder straps? The detail pictures are only for the all-Coyote version.

Comment

I’ve got my eye on the deep blue GE, it’s stunning!

Comment

Originally posted by marbenais View Post

Is the entire back Coyote on the non-Coyote colors or just the shoulder straps? The detail pictures are only for the all-Coyote version.
                      marbenais,

I hope Darcy will answer you, but I think the answer is that the back is the same fabric/color as the front of the bag. In general, the other backpacks that have been offered in Guide’s Edition versions with Coyote colored backing are ones that use spacer mesh padding at the back, and then the black spacer mesh is replaced with Coyote spacer mesh. But remember that the Paragon is modeled on the concept of the Daylight Backpack, and the Daylight Backpack has backing that is the same fabric as the front of the bag.

Another piece of evidence would be to go back to the original YouTube video of the Zoom session of Tom talking about designs in the works that was hosted by the Tom BIHN Facebook group. When thinking about which Paragon to order before the web pictures went up, I found it useful to reference my post dated 11/09/20 in the Production Update Hype thread (where this is referred to as the Insigne). Main reason is that it’s got the photo from the blog, and the link back to the blog post, plus it’s got the text link that Darcy gives to the section of the Facebook group video where Tom shows off the prototype of the bag. Look for the link to:

“Here's where Tom starts talking about the new pack in the FB group Zoom.”

The details of the interior were still being worked out, but you can see him displaying the prototype of the Paragon from different angles, with what looks to be a Guide’s Edition version in Wilderness that starts exactly where the link begins. The attachment points at the bottom can be seen, and the back of the bag looks to,have the same colors.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Early preview of the upcoming Paragon backpack

I’ve been eyeing a side kick/side effect and I wonder if that front exterior pocket pocket of the Paragon could fit a side kick with some effort? It looks pretty flat but i wonder if it would be a “don’t even bother” situation or something that could work in a pinch?

Comment

I asked the same question awhile ago (in another thread), and Darcy confirmed a sidekick would fit in the front pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by ayazgood View Post
                            I asked the same question awhile ago (in another thread), and Darcy confirmed a sidekick would fit in the front pocket.
                            Wonderful, thank you!

Comment

I was wondering whether a pair of running shoes, perhaps inside a small western flyer packing cube or a packing cube shoulder bag, might fit in the main compartment (with or without laptop). The depth would make this seem possible, but it depends how much of the depth is taken up by the laptop sleeve, I guess.

Comment

Is the Paragon computer sleeve rigid or flexible? From this picture on product page of the Guide's Edition version, it appears the sleeve intrudes a portion of the main compartment with its bulkiness. I assume it doesn't or is flexible, but this picture makes it appears sizeable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.png
Views:	1
Size:	575.7 KB
ID:	307898

Can a large Aeronaut packing cube fit in the main compartment? Can a PCSB fit at the top above the bag? From dimensions, this bag appears similar to S25 main compartment size except the Paragon being 2 inches shorter, but a flatter, squarer top. Assuming that, a large Aeronaut packing cube and PCSB on top does fit in my S25 well.

How deep is the zipper pocket on the interior of the main compartment? What OP's can fit there?

The Paragon looks to be the simple, accommodating bag that is the S25 without the cluster of complexity at the front of the Synapes/Syniks?

Now a 25ish liter, clamshell version Paragon may be the perfect simple travel bag.

Comment

Working...
                                X