Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,582   Posts: 188,368   Members: 6,552   Active Members: 301
Welcome to our newest member, LucaDebenh.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are all-aether packing cubes a thing of the past?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are all-aether packing cubes a thing of the past?

I moved house towards the end of last year and it looks like I’ve lost one of my aether packing cubes and a ghost whale 💔.

Looking on the site it looks like there’s the aether and mesh but not just aether ones?

Are these now gone forever?

Hi dkatri, sorry about the loss!

There are still some all-aether packing cubes (e.g. for the A30 and A45 end pockets) available.

Since 2018 more and more packing cubes have been produced in Aether/Mesh combo only. See this blog post for more information and here for some information when the "new" packing cubes were introduced. In the discussion referring to the second blog post the TB crew said that they'll "consider adding All Aether Packing Cubes for the Tri-Star and Western Flyer in the future". Thus, there might be a chance that they'll appear again some time.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

I feel your pain dkatri - I love my all-aether cubes

As much as I love the new halcyon and ballistic colours that have been happening, I'd love to see a new aether colour. In addition to the all-aether cubes, I really like the Laundry cubes and have one in the 3 colours they were made in before Wasabi was disco'd. I like colour coding what goes into each one and would like more options.
      I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Hi dkatri,

I tried to check bartleby’s comment, before answering. he’s correct that the slimmer end pocket packing Cubes in Island and Northwest Sky Aether are available, but I don’t think there are any more of the other all-Aether Packing Cubes sold after 2018. I ordered some before they took these out of stock (actually I ordered some additional all-Aether Packing Cubes before Carbon Aether was discontinued for the travel bag Packing Cubes; colors like Wasabi and Violet Aether stuck around longer)

You’ll see most of the All-Aether Packing Cubes you are thinking about listed on Pre-2018 Packing Cubes

I’ll show you the quote from the now-closed thread that used to be a sticky about retirements
        Originally posted by MatthewR View Post
        03/14/2018 Update
        Changes Edition

Hey y'all! We've introduced new versions of our Packing Cubes for the Aeronaut 45, Aeronaut 30, Tri-Star and Western Flyer. You can read all about it here: New Packing Cubes.

We’ve also written a post that answers some frequently asked questions about Packing Cubes in general. Read it here: Packing Cubes: Frequently Asked Questions

Finally, we've also decided to retire several existing sizes of Packing Cubes. You can read about that here, as well as our recommendations for alternative packing cubes and organizational solutions for those bags.

Now Retired

Aeronaut 30 Halcyon Packing Cubes (All Sizes)
        (2017 & Before) Aeronaut 30 Aether Packing Cubes (Small Wasabi & Carbon, All End Pockets, All Large)
        Aeronaut 45 Halcyon Packing Cubes (All Sizes)
        (2017 & Before) Aeronaut 45 Aether Packing Cubes (Small Wasabi & Violet, End Pocket Carbon)
        Tri-Star Halcyon Packing Cubes (All Sizes)
        (2017 & Before) Tri-Star Aether Packing Cubes (Small Wasabi & Carbon, All Medium, Large Violet & Wasabi)
        Western Flyer Halcyon Packing Cubes (All Sizes)
        Pilot Packing Cubes (All Sizes)
        Night Flight Packing Cubes
        Yeoman Packing Cubes (Mini Carbon, Small Wasabi & Carbon, Medium Wasabi & Carbon, All Large)
        Stowaway Pacing Cubes (Wasabi & Carbon)

Soon to be Retired

(2017 & Before) Aeronaut 30 Aether Packing Cubes (Small Violet)
        (2017 & Before) Aeronaut 45 Aether Packing Cubes (Small Carbon, End Pocket Wasabi & Violet, All Large)
        Hero's Journey Packing Cubes (All Colors]
        Yeoman Packing Cubes (Mini Wasabi & Violet, Small Violet, Medium Violet)
        Stowaway Pacing Cubes (Violet)

Originally posted by dkatri View Post
        I moved house towards the end of last year and it looks like I’ve lost one of my aether packing cubes and a ghost whale ��.

Looking on the site it looks like there’s the aether and mesh but not just aether ones?

Are these now gone forever?
        Originally posted by bartleby View Post
        Hi dkatri, sorry about the loss!

There are still some all-aether packing cubes (e.g. for the A30 and A45 end pockets) available.

Since 2018 more and more packing cubes have been produced in Aether/Mesh combo only. See this blog post for more information and here for some information when the "new" packing cubes were introduced. In the discussion referring to the second blog post the TB crew said that they'll "consider adding All Aether Packing Cubes for the Tri-Star and Western Flyer in the future". Thus, there might be a chance that they'll appear again some time.
        ETA: I checked my purchase records, and they did still sell all-Aether Packing Cubes in May 2018. However, considering that they announced the pending retirements in March, I don’t think these stayed available for much longer. From memory, one of the Hero’s Journey Aether Packing Cubes stayed around longest — a size for sleeping bags, I think.
        Last edited by moriond; 01-28-2021, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X