Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,895   Posts: 192,296   Members: 6,771   Active Members: 315
Welcome to our newest member, louisep.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Le Grande Derrière

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're working on a FAQ for the LGD! Want to help? Post your questions here, and we'll answer them in the FAQ, which will be posted on our blog next week.

Questions we've got so far include ~
    Does the LGD have a dedicated water bottle pocket?
    What devices can it fit?
    Can you share a sample day-hike packing list?
    What are my options when it comes to adding cord pulls?
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

What are the dimensions of the main compartment. The stated 6 inch depth seems off.

Comment

Originally posted by ayazgood View Post
        What are the dimensions of the main compartment. The stated 6 inch depth seems off.
        I measured the bottom exterior of the main compartment and it's 4". The buckle pocket can extend out (at the top of the pocket) another ~2" so that's where the max 6.2" seems to come from.

Since it has the compression straps, it can be noticeably slimmer, depending on what you carry.
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by ayazgood View Post
          I'll add this to the FAQ, but real quick here:

We measured the LGD using the same methodology we use to measure all our bags: we fill them with .75” / 20mm hard plastic spheres and pack them reasonably tight. We then measure the tallest, thickest and widest dimensions using a large caliper. The thickest (deepest) dimension of the LGD is just over 6".

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post

I'll add this to the FAQ, but real quick here:

We measured the LGD using the same methodology we use to measure all our bags: we fill them with .75” / 20mm hard plastic spheres and pack them reasonably tight. We then measure the tallest, thickest and widest dimensions using a large caliper. The thickest (deepest) dimension of the LGD is just over 6".
            Yes, but that's presumably total bag including outside pocket filled vs just main compartment or no?
            I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post

Yes, but that's presumably total bag including outside pocket filled vs just main compartment or no?
              It doesn't count the full outside pocket -- it's just the main compartment packed totally, completely full of the plastic spheres.

Comment

We're working on a FAQ for the LGD! Want to help? Post your questions here, and we'll answer them in the FAQ, which will be posted on our blog next week.

Questions we've got so far include ~
                Does the LGD have a dedicated water bottle pocket?
                What devices can it fit?
                Can you share a sample day-hike packing list?
                What are my options when it comes to adding cord pulls?
                Howdy Darcy - my first impression upon seeing the LGD is that it might make a great fishing tackle bag! For the fisher-people out there, have any fishing tackle packing lists been explored? Perhaps tackle for freshwater fly fishing where one has to hike to their favorite spot on the Skokomish River or to paddle their kayak out on Lake Cushman? Would be great to see some photos with fishing gear in the LGD alongside a nice Dolly Varden trout.

Comment

Sooo.. Who else ordered one, or six?

I got three--the seapine, logic blue, and neb grey . Can't wait to see them in person!

Comment

OMG, I think I've been drinking too much of the TB kool-aid! I ordered the Wilderness even though I have no idea what I'll do with it. Somebody help me!

Comment

Originally posted by spindifferent View Post

Howdy Darcy - my first impression upon seeing the LGD is that it might make a great fishing tackle bag! For the fisher-people out there, have any fishing tackle packing lists been explored? Perhaps tackle for freshwater fly fishing where one has to hike to their favorite spot on the Skokomish River or to paddle their kayak out on Lake Cushman? Would be great to see some photos with fishing gear in the LGD alongside a nice Dolly Varden trout.
                      I think you just signed yourself up to do a fishing use case 😁

Comment

Here's a few photos I just took of my LGD, showing off its main compartment and what it can fit!

Click image for larger version Name:	lgd-inside-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	497.7 KB ID:	331429

Click image for larger version

Name:	lgd-inside-1.jpg
Views:	1066
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	331430

Name:	lgd-inside-5.jpg
Views:	1070
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	331431

Note the volume of the front buckle pocket: it's got quite the depth. It's my favorite pocket so far when the bag is worn waist-pack or cross-body with a shoulder strap.

We'll be finishing up the pages for the 5/6 pre-order around the end of this week, so more photos (and even quick videos!) will be added soon.

QUESTION FOR YOU! Has it been kinda annoying to see the content added to the 5/6 pre-order pages as we built them, since it wasn’t all presented at once, or did you appreciate getting details and photos as we were able to share them?

Here's why we're asking: it usually takes us several weeks to write product descriptions, take photos, measure and gather specifications. In the past, that process has been largely behind the scenes: the upcoming product pages are hidden, so folks can’t see information as we add it. This time around we decided to leave the pages up (prior to officially announcing the pre-order) to share more of the process and photos, specs, and descriptions as they become available. One added benefit is that you ask us for more photos/content, and assuming we're able to fit those requests in to the timeline and workload, that makes the creative work we're doing all the more fun.

Both ways work equally well for us, so we're wondering: which works best for you?
                        I love to see the descriptions, pictures and videos posted as you know of them or take them.

I really like the very first picture content, it shows really well the size of the front pockets because it uses everyday object, a passport, a Field Note and Nik's wallet

Comment

Originally posted by backpack View Post
                          I really like the very first picture content, it shows really well the size of the front pockets because it uses everyday object, a passport, a Field Note and Nik's wallet
                          I do too, and I definitely appreciate that TB product photos are not like the deceptive Amazon product photos, where you just KNOW they're showing way too much stuff inside the bag for it to be able to zip shut, heh.

Like so:
                          Last edited by Surrealle; 05-09-2021, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrealle View Post

I do too, and I definitely appreciate that TB product photos are not like the deceptive Amazon product photos, where you just KNOW they're showing way too much stuff inside the bag for it to be able to zip shut, heh.

Like so:
                            April Fool's 2022 = a very hilariously Photoshopped packing list?!

Comment

Snapped this photo today for the LGD FAQ we're (still) working on:

Name:	LGD-side-by-sides.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	595.5 KB
ID:	332110

Left to right: Side Effect, Le Grand Derriere, Side Kick, Small Cafe, Medium Cafe

Comment

April Fool's 2022 = a very hilariously Photoshopped packing list?!
                                I dunno, considering how TB bags just swallow things up I could see a packing list involving the actual Earth and would be like "Yep, that looks about right. I'll take two please."
                                Last edited by Surrealle; 05-11-2021, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X