Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,895   Posts: 192,296   Members: 6,770   Active Members: 313
Welcome to our newest member, louisep.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Le Grande Derrière

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backpack
    replied
    I would love to see a version of the LGD transformed the way the Original Side Effect became the present Side Effect.

A sort of bigger Side Kick, a deeper Daylight Briefcase, or a more organized Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (Original and Design Lab Edition, side attachments for the Shoulder Strap).

It would make a perfect note taking while reading bag.

Is the LGD is big enough to carry an HTL 2?

Leave a comment:

• Kevo
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    The LGD FAQ is finally up on the blog!

That said, we see it as a work in progress. We're using ours so much (everyday + hiking + dog walks) that we've got big long lists of questions/answers and photos + videos to shoot to add over the coming weeks. Stay tuned!
    Interesting about possibly making a larger version of the bag. The reason I didn't order one this go-around was that I was afraid it wouldn't be sized right for what I'd want to do with it.

If the larger LGD ends up being made, please call it "Le Plus Grande Derrière!"

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    The LGD FAQ is finally up on the blog!

That said, we see it as a work in progress. We're using ours so much (everyday + hiking + dog walks) that we've got big long lists of questions/answers and photos + videos to shoot to add over the coming weeks. Stay tuned!

Leave a comment:

• Surrealle
    replied
    Originally posted by sd2102 View Post
    Noted and noted. With so many color options you'd think I'd find one that I like, but since I'd be using this mainly for urban traveling I want a neutral one. And the neutrals just aren't speaking to me.

Plus I'm just not sure if it would work for me- looking forward to seeing more reviews when people get their pre-orders.
    So I'm probably the only one crazy enough to go this far with it, but I love seapine and hated the red stripe. My (hopeful/potential) solution is to get some blue fabric dye and see if I can make the red stripe purple instead, sort of like the seapine icon color combo.

Obviously I'll test it on a sample or scrap of fabric first, but I can't imagine it would be an involved project to recolor that little stripe. Anyways, I mention it in case this opens up some options for you too.

Leave a comment:

• sd2102
    replied
    Noted and noted. With so many color options you'd think I'd find one that I like, but since I'd be using this mainly for urban traveling I want a neutral one. And the neutrals just aren't speaking to me.

Plus I'm just not sure if it would work for me- looking forward to seeing more reviews when people get their pre-orders.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by sd2102 View Post
    I'm sure this was discussed somewhere, but I can't find the answer: is this pre-order for LGD the only time we can buy this bag or will it be available again in the future?

I wasn't planning to buy it since it's way too big for me to use as a waist pack, but now I'm thinking this may be a good personal item bag for when I start flying again for personal trips. But I'm not completely sure of that and I'm also not sure I love any of the color combinations.
    Good question. I do expect we'll offer additional production runs of the LGD: it's already very popular. That said, the color choices are likely to be narrowed down in the future. Hope that helps.

Leave a comment:

• sd2102
    replied
    I'm sure this was discussed somewhere, but I can't find the answer: is this pre-order for LGD the only time we can buy this bag or will it be available again in the future?

I wasn't planning to buy it since it's way too big for me to use as a waist pack, but now I'm thinking this may be a good personal item bag for when I start flying again for personal trips. But I'm not completely sure of that and I'm also not sure I love any of the color combinations.

Leave a comment:

• Surrealle
    replied
    Originally posted by theedge View Post
    This looks like a wonderful bag ! The only thing holding me back is the lack of any external storage or attachement options.
    For eg having two strap holders on the bottom to fix two lash straps would greatly extend the versatility of th LGD by allowing to attach an umbrella, tripod or jacket.
    I like the ability to add (removable) external straps but I'm not a fan of them being on the bottom. Anything you attach there is likely to get scuffed or dirty when you set it down, plus the bag won't stand up anymore in many cases.

Leave a comment:

• spindifferent
    replied
    Originally posted by G42 View Post
    I think you just signed yourself up to do a fishing use case 😁
    I would *SO* love to perform a very detailed fishing use case and contribute to the FAQ!

@Darcy

Leave a comment:

• theedge
    replied
    This looks like a wonderful bag ! The only thing holding me back is the lack of any external storage or attachement options.
    For eg having two strap holders on the bottom to fix two lash straps would greatly extend the versatility of th LGD by allowing to attach an umbrella, tripod or jacket.

Leave a comment:

• Surrealle
    replied

April Fool's 2022 = a very hilariously Photoshopped packing list?!
    I dunno, considering how TB bags just swallow things up I could see a packing list involving the actual Earth and would be like "Yep, that looks about right. I'll take two please."
    Last edited by Surrealle; 05-11-2021, 05:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Snapped this photo today for the LGD FAQ we're (still) working on:

Click image for larger version

Name:	LGD-side-by-sides.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	595.5 KB
ID:	332110

Left to right: Side Effect, Le Grand Derriere, Side Kick, Small Cafe, Medium Cafe

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by Surrealle View Post

I do too, and I definitely appreciate that TB product photos are not like the deceptive Amazon product photos, where you just KNOW they're showing way too much stuff inside the bag for it to be able to zip shut, heh.

Like so:
    April Fool's 2022 = a very hilariously Photoshopped packing list?!

Leave a comment:

• Surrealle
    replied
    Originally posted by backpack View Post
    I really like the very first picture content, it shows really well the size of the front pockets because it uses everyday object, a passport, a Field Note and Nik's wallet
    I do too, and I definitely appreciate that TB product photos are not like the deceptive Amazon product photos, where you just KNOW they're showing way too much stuff inside the bag for it to be able to zip shut, heh.

Like so:
    Last edited by Surrealle; 05-09-2021, 06:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Here's a few photos I just took of my LGD, showing off its main compartment and what it can fit!

Click image for larger version Name:	lgd-inside-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	497.7 KB ID:	331429

Name:	lgd-inside-1.jpg
Views:	1066
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	331430

Name:	lgd-inside-5.jpg
Views:	1070
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	331431

Note the volume of the front buckle pocket: it's got quite the depth. It's my favorite pocket so far when the bag is worn waist-pack or cross-body with a shoulder strap.

We'll be finishing up the pages for the 5/6 pre-order around the end of this week, so more photos (and even quick videos!) will be added soon.

QUESTION FOR YOU! Has it been kinda annoying to see the content added to the 5/6 pre-order pages as we built them, since it wasn’t all presented at once, or did you appreciate getting details and photos as we were able to share them?

Here's why we're asking: it usually takes us several weeks to write product descriptions, take photos, measure and gather specifications. In the past, that process has been largely behind the scenes: the upcoming product pages are hidden, so folks can’t see information as we add it. This time around we decided to leave the pages up (prior to officially announcing the pre-order) to share more of the process and photos, specs, and descriptions as they become available. One added benefit is that you ask us for more photos/content, and assuming we're able to fit those requests in to the timeline and workload, that makes the creative work we're doing all the more fun.

Both ways work equally well for us, so we're wondering: which works best for you?
    I love to see the descriptions, pictures and videos posted as you know of them or take them.

I really like the very first picture content, it shows really well the size of the front pockets because it uses everyday object, a passport, a Field Note and Nik's wallet

Leave a comment:

Working...
X