Replacement nose clips for masks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement nose clips for masks

Hello - I've been using Tom Bihn Masks as I find them great and I love the fact that they can hang. Over the past year though, with constant washing and drying and using, the metal clips on a few of them has broken in two.

Do you know what I can use or buy as an alternative? Earlier versions had more simple twist ties (or something like it) and later versions had more robust metal clips. I'm looking for an alternative to those.

I know you do get bendable metal. As a tennis player for example I've used lead on my racquets to add weight on certain parts of it. Of course you can't put lead on your nose! So I need a non poisonous solution!

Any suggestions would be welcome. thanks!

I use the plastic coated wire ties used to close coffee bags (beans or ground). They are glued to the bags with a high tack adhesive so with a little patience you can peel/scrape the excess adhesive off of the tie. On almost all my masks, there is room to insert the coffee tie (which is wider than the parts TB uses) into that channel; only one or two have had the stitching too close together.

I leave the coffee ties in the masks when I wash them as the plastic coating over the two metal wires (the edges) is fairly protective. Whatever you end up using, removing it prior to washing would make them last longer though.

Other folks on here have used the thinner twist ties - just several of them at once - as well as metal craft wire.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by TorontoSS View Post
      Over the past year though, with constant washing and drying and using, the metal clips on a few of them has broken in two.
      I sadly experienced this, too. I'm surprised, as each mask hasn't been worn more than 20 times, so I expected the metal to last much longer than it has. G42's suggestion is decent, but wire ties simply do not hold their form as well as a wider real metal strip.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomGault View Post
        I sadly experienced this, too. I'm surprised, as each mask hasn't been worn more than 20 times, so I expected the metal to last much longer than it has. G42's suggestion is decent, but wire ties simply do not hold their form as well as a wider real metal strip.
        I think that's why the instructions are to remove the metal before washing.

The wider coffee ties that I've been using haven't broken on me at all yet... I originally started using them because I think they form better and hold their shape better for my nose, but the durability is a nice side affect.
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by TorontoSS View Post
          Hello - I've been using Tom Bihn Masks as I find them great and I love the fact that they can hang. Over the past year though, with constant washing and drying and using, the metal clips on a few of them has broken in two.

Do you know what I can use or buy as an alternative? Earlier versions had more simple twist ties (or something like it) and later versions had more robust metal clips. I'm looking for an alternative to those.

I know you do get bendable metal. As a tennis player for example I've used lead on my racquets to add weight on certain parts of it. Of course you can't put lead on your nose! So I need a non poisonous solution!

Any suggestions would be welcome. thanks!
          I’ve been using these; so far they’ve been holding up very well: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0896XVVP3...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPad

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
            I think that's why the instructions are to remove the metal before washing.
            The metal strips have been removed before every washing; that's why I'm so perplexed that they broke so soon.

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
              I use the plastic coated wire ties used to close coffee bags (beans or ground). They are glued to the bags with a high tack adhesive so with a little patience you can peel/scrape the excess adhesive off of the tie. On almost all my masks, there is room to insert the coffee tie (which is wider than the parts TB uses) into that channel; only one or two have had the stitching too close together.

I leave the coffee ties in the masks when I wash them as the plastic coating over the two metal wires (the edges) is fairly protective. Whatever you end up using, removing it prior to washing would make them last longer though.

Other folks on here have used the thinner twist ties - just several of them at once - as well as metal craft wire.
              This is what the Peet’s Coffee ties look like (compared to the twist ties that came with the v1 masks and a grocery tie). This shows the length without any trimming; I also find them more pliable to fit the nose bridge, and they are plastic coated.
              Originally posted by moriond View Post
              G42 likes to use the plastic ties that come at the top of Peet's Coffee Bags (I used these as a way to control straps on the Luminary 15 before we had the strap retainers). I found that in a few cases the stitching on the band of the v1 nose bridge was too tight for these to fit, but in most cases I could slide these in. By the way, I haven't actually had to do this for my own masks. When they sent us the prototypes, the wire didn't come inserted (it was separately in the package), and we were experimenting with other ties etc. that could be used if people lost the wire, which now comes inserted in the mask, and with the ends folded back). I don't wear glasses, but G42 does, so you may find that this works well for you. (I also don't drink that much coffee, but I have a source of these ties from the tops of Peet's Coffee bags someone else who does). This works pretty well, because the outside of the ties is coated with plastic, and also gently ridged so that it slides into place without slipping. The only caveat is that in a few of the v1 masks the spacing may be sewn just slightly too narrowly for this twist tie to fit in. This fit into all the v1 masks I've received except for one of the very first ones that they sent us (I think this was light blue in color, and it nearly fit).

HTH

moriond

ETA: Some pictures

This is a v1 mask with the default twist-tie inserted in place. Below it is one of the plastic ties from the top of Peet's coffee bags. Above it is another grocery tie

I've taken out the twist-tie that ships with the mask, and inserted the Peet's coffee tie. You can see that it occupies most of the width, but fits in easily, and is flat and moldable, so that it works well to fit over the nose. Other solutions will also work. You can cut the long edges and bend it back so there are no sharp edges.

Comment

I've used many replacement nose pieces, primarily those metal ones with two stuck together, but have been fruitlessly trying to find shorter metal nose pieces. 75mm would be great, maybe I need to get longer ones and fold/cut the edges?

Comment

I used TB's online pattern and used these: https://fabricationsottawa.com/colle...sepiece-10pack

If you're in Toronto, I'm sure the local sewing stores there will have some too (or I can send a couple links of the stores I'm familiar with)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X