Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Updates Coming on Wednesday (3/10)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Updates Coming on Wednesday (3/10)

Hey folks!

On Wednesday 3/10 we're going to update the forums up to a newer version. That means that the Forums will be offline for a couple of days while we move all of the posts and photos over to the new version.

The only thing you'll need to do when you login to the Forums is update your password to a new one. When you try to log into your account on the new Forums, it'll tell you that you need to update your password, and then you can do just that! Then all that's left is to explore the new and improved features. More on those below:

There are a few differences between this version of the Forums and the one we're moving to.

The biggest difference is that the Forums is now a responsive design, which means that it scales to, looks, and works well on tablets and mobile devices without the need for an app. The text editor is also a much cleaner and more modern editor (for example, it includes an emoji selector for all regular emojis and not just the ones we upload), a much more intuitive photo uploader, and a reconfigured search engine.

This also means that the Tapatalk app will no longer be supported by our Forums. You can still access our forums using your phone or tablet: use the browser on your device to navigate to the Forums and you'll see that it will scale to the device you're using.

If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to either let us know below or PM us and we'll do our best to answer your questions.
    Last edited by MatthewR; 03-08-2021, 01:59 PM.

Are you guys switching to a new platform, or is it a vBulletin version upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevo View Post
      Are you guys switching to a new platform, or is it a vBulletin version upgrade?
      It’a VBulletin upgrade to a later version, but that version doesn’t support TapaTalk.

moriond

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
        It’a VBulletin upgrade to a later version, but that version doesn’t support TapaTalk.

moriond
        Thanks. I'm a little surprised the new version won't support Tapatalk. Not saying I'll miss it, though! Good mobile-first responsive design is the way to go!

Comment

Looking forward to a more modern forum (with improved photo uploader)! Well, that and a March pre-order, a Burnt Orange Small Cafe bag, and maybe some other pouches. But that's for a different thread!
          The only thing worse than chips without salsa is salsa without chips!

Comment

Very happy that the new forum format reverted to my original password (yesterday it had made me change it). Basic question - in the prior layout I was able to click on a link and it would display a listing of all messages that had been posted since I had last viewed the forums. How do you do that in the new version? Hoping there will be some sort of overview of the changes that posts in the near future.

ETA: separately, it appears that when you click on the "trending link" it takes you to the very first post in a subject rather than the most recent page.
            Last edited by NWhikergal; 03-21-2021, 05:44 AM.
            "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
            "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Comment

To the peeps working on the upgrade and everyone else at TB dealing with the fallout from the lack of forum availability, thank you! I know these upgrades can be a challenge in the best of circumstances and I'm pleased to see how fast everything is to load now that it's complete. The mobile UX is also much improved. Guessing there are still bugs to squash, but just wanted to extend my thanks for the update and improvements. Y'all rock!

Also: on Safari on my mac I can now "like" posts. :tada:
              Last edited by user292372; 03-21-2021, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Very nice, works well for me. Good job!
                Today is a good day for a good day!

Comment

Glad to see the forums back! This is minor, but everything is appearing on my screen in tiny tiny front. I looked around to see if I could enlarge it, but no luck. I'm on an iPad, if that makes any difference. Any advice on how to enlarge the font so that I can actually see the posts without squinting? Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by NWhikergal View Post
                    Very happy that the new forum format reverted to my original password (yesterday it had made me change it). Basic question - in the prior layout I was able to click on a link and it would display a listing of all messages that had been posted since I had last viewed the forums. How do you do that in the new version? Hoping there will be some sort of overview of the changes that posts in the near future.

ETA: separately, it appears that when you click on the "trending link" it takes you to the very first post in a subject rather than the most recent page.
                    Related to this - I think - I can't figure out how to skip to the last page of a long thread or sticky thread. In the old version, if I hit the "last" button, it would skip ahead. All I can do at this point is to hit the right-facing arrow, and that only advances the thread by one page at a time. I'm sure I'm overlooking something simple. But since I've got two navigation questions in a row,I'm wondering if doing a quick tutorial might be a good idea.

Comment

When I press VIEW ALL an error appears

"Image verification unsuccessful due to incorrect reCAPTCHA™ parameters. Contact the admin."

I'm using iphone (latest iOS)

Comment

Originally posted by aungrl View Post

Related to this - I think - I can't figure out how to skip to the last page of a long thread or sticky thread. In the old version, if I hit the "last" button, it would skip ahead. All I can do at this point is to hit the right-facing arrow, and that only advances the thread by one page at a time. I'm sure I'm overlooking something simple. But since I've got two navigation questions in a row,I'm wondering if doing a quick tutorial might be a good idea.
                        I also miss that functionality! For now, you can just type in the page number of the last page and it will take you there. A lil cumbersome I guess, but it works.
                        Today is a good day for a good day!

Comment

@aungirl, @Ardtime,

With the caveat that I have no special knowledge about vBulletin version 5, this is how I would handle navigating to the end of a sticky thread.

First of all, let’s assume that you want to navigate to the end of a sticky thread in the General Bag Discussion Forum First navigate to that forum instead of starting from the top level where all the different forums are displayed. Once you are in the General Bag Discussion Forum with its listing of topics, and with the stickied topics showing grouped at the top, the right-most hof the page will show you a listing of who made the last post and the date/time, with a set of red double pointing right arrows to the right. Clicking on that double right arrow will take you to the last post of the thread (stickied or not).

For folks dealing with Captchas on mobile devices (e.g. to run a search), that should only show up if you’re not logged in, I think. At least, that was my experience. I know there was a problem early yesterday with people having to do multiple password resets, but as far as I know, that was fixed.

HTH

moriond

Comment

@
                            For folks dealing with Captchas on mobile devices (e.g. to run a search), that should only show up if you’re not logged in, I think. At least, that was my experience. I know there was a problem early yesterday with people having to do multiple password resets, but as far as I know, that was fixed.

HTH

moriond
                            not sure if the above is in response to my post.......

During the day I like to browse the forums on iPhone for a couple of minutes at a time. NOT interested in logging in. NOT doing a search.
                            I click onto the forums which shows sections: Directory/what's going on/TB forum statistics/latest topics/trending.
                            Latest topics and trending sections have a "view all" button.

I thought "view all" would be a good option for general browsing. But the error message comes up

Comment

@aungirl, @Ardtime,

First of all, let’s assume that you want to navigate to the end of a sticky thread in the General Bag Discussion Forum First navigate to that forum instead of starting from the top level where all the different forums are displayed. Once you are in the General Bag Discussion Forum with its listing of topics, and with the stickied topics showing grouped at the top, the right-most hof the page will show you a listing of who made the last post and the date/time, with a set of red double pointing right arrows to the right. Clicking on that double right arrow will take you to the last post of the thread (stickied or not).

HTH

moriond
                              Thank you...very useful for sure!

Chris D.

Monster Truck (Nebulous Gray) Cadet (Steel /NW Sky) Yeoman Duffel Mini (Burnt Orange) Yeoman Duffel Small (Steel)

Comment

Working...
                              X