Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,632   Posts: 188,975   Members: 6,617   Active Members: 303
mitakam
Forum Member
Welcome to our newest member, mitakam.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Updates Coming on Wednesday (3/10)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

b1gsky
    Forum Member
    b1gsky
    Hi,

Originally posted by b1gsky View Post
    Is there still a way to see when someone has quoted or mentioned me? Moriond quoted me in the Café bag thread, I saw that before I was logged in. When I logged in I had a red number on the notifications at the top of the page, but it vanished after a few seconds on its own. When I open the notifications page there’s nothing to see. I also can’t see anymore which people liked a post.
    We can’t tell who has liked our posts, as far as I can tell, and there are no options for adding “Thank” or “Welcome” according to @Darcy.

The “vanishing” of notifications appears to be due to a default filter setting for your account’s message center, which is to only show you “New” notifications, with the behavior that once such a list has been “shown” to you, you immediately know everything about their content and they are no longer new, so they can vanish. Not very helpful.

To change this behavior, you need to change the filter settings on you Notifications in your Message Center. In the drop down menu for your Notifications landmark at the top of your web page, “Message Center” shows up as the last option. I’ve also copied this link:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/privatemessage/index

Either choosing that last drop-down menu option, or clicking the link that I pasted in above will take you to your Message Center

Select “Notifications” from the Message Center menu options listed on the left side of the page. On the right side of the page is a link to “Notification Settings”, a “Dismiss Page” button, a “Dismiss All Notifications” button, and an element labeled “Filter”

The text in grey states “You've already read all of your notifications! Try changing your "New/Dismissed" filter to "Both" or "Dismissed Only" if you want to view dismissed notifications.”

Activate (tap) the “Filter” option. Change the radio button selection in the first (New/Dismissed) column from “New” to “Both”,and you’ll see all your vanished notifications come back to life. You can now see how many people likes your posts is periodic groups ordered by time. The second column of filtering options specifies the “Sort By” order, and can be left set to “Newest First”. The third colum of filtering options specifies “Type” and “the “All” radio button is the default selection. Changing this to “User Mentions” will tell you when you were mentioned, and changing the option to “Quotes“ will show when you are quoted.

HTH

​​​​​​​moriond

Comment

moriond
      Volunteer Moderator
      moriond Awesome, thanks for the explanation! That worked.

Comment

I’ve asked whether the account defaults can be changed so that we don’t have to individually reset this.
        Originally posted by b1gsky View Post
        moriond
        Volunteer Moderator
        moriond Awesome, thanks for the explanation! That worked.

Comment

Silly question, but this morning the forum font size looks extra large on my computer. I am trying to determine if there has there been a forum change, or if I may have inadvertently done something on my end. When I toggle to other tabs in my browser, their font sizes look typical. Thank you.
          "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
          "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Comment

Originally posted by NWhikergal View Post
            Silly question, but this morning the forum font size looks extra large on my computer. I am trying to determine if there has there been a forum change, or if I may have inadvertently done something on my end. When I toggle to other tabs in my browser, their font sizes look typical. Thank you.
            I suspect you may have hit a key combo which enlarges the font size. If you're on a Mac try CMD+0, and Windows Ctrl+0 to fix it.
            Proud owner of a Synik 22 (Aubergine/Northwest Sky), a Medium Café Bag (Alphaviolet), and a whole host of accessories.

Comment

Is there a way to make clicking on a thread take you to the latest page? Atm clicking on a bolded thread with latest posts takes you to the first page, then you have to scroll to the bottom and click the last page number (or plug that number into the page box at the top).

Comment

Originally posted by BihnBag View Post
                Is there a way to make clicking on a thread take you to the latest page? Atm clicking on a bolded thread with latest posts takes you to the first page, then you have to scroll to the bottom and click the last page number (or plug that number into the page box at the top).
                Click the red double arrows.

Comment

Thanks for the hard work in getting through this update ... one request: can you change the global search restriction to allow for more than 1 search every 60 seconds?

I'm trying to catch up on all the news and threads and finding tons of broken links - the easiest workaround I've found is to simply search titles only for the name of the thread, however due to the search restriction I have to wait the 60 seconds for each thread ... not a big deal, but maybe it's an easy switch if you've got the hood open? Thanks all!

Comment

Update for everyone on the broken links: now that all pre-orders have been shipped, the crew will have some time to work on fixing the broken links. While we won't be able to manually fix all of the broken links, we will make an effort to fix links to most viewed (and referenced!) threads.

The Forums will also get a little bit of a makeover around early May. Functionality won't change: it'll just be a little fancier looking around here (with a full suite of emojis!)

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post
                    Thanks for the hard work in getting through this update ... one request: can you change the global search restriction to allow for more than 1 search every 60 seconds?

I'm trying to catch up on all the news and threads and finding tons of broken links - the easiest workaround I've found is to simply search titles only for the name of the thread, however due to the search restriction I have to wait the 60 seconds for each thread ... not a big deal, but maybe it's an easy switch if you've got the hood open? Thanks all!
                    Done!

Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

I don't suppose there's any way to get some of the old search engines back? I'm having an awful time finding anything with the new search function. For instance, searching "pop tote" gives me literally 2 results, and "cafe bag" brings back 25. I know there must be more results than that on the forums but don't know how to find them anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrealle View Post
                        I don't suppose there's any way to get some of the old search engines back? I'm having an awful time finding anything with the new search function. For instance, searching "pop tote" gives me literally 2 results, and "cafe bag" brings back 25. I know there must be more results than that on the forums but don't know how to find them anymore.
                        In the interim - and you probably already know this - but you can use google's specific site search syntax:

If you type: site:forums.tombihn.com "pop tote"

You'll get a few more hits:

Click image for larger version  Name:	popTote.png Views:	0 Size:	155.8 KB ID:	331575

Note however some are broken links, but, in this case, those are only the "tagged" links, i.e., any posts with, for example, the tag "plenty".

Also the youtube link at the top is broken, but with some minor URL hacking you can fix it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yOSvYwK9I0

HTH!
                        GrussGott
                        Forum Member
                        Last edited by GrussGott; 04-30-2021, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrealle View Post
                          The best thread to start with on the Pop Tote is probably
                          Ilkyway
                          Volunteer ********* Alumni
                          Ilkyway’s Pop Tote a take on zipped Totes by Tom Bihn from 11-21-2017
                          https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...es-by-tom-bihn

In general, the most information used to come from the threads started by one of the mods on the day that a product debuted.We used to all follow up by posting our impressions in that thread, so the users would have a single place to search. That thread outlined a few interesting tricks (like dropping a Shop bag inside to act as a liner).

I usually use a search for one of my own posts that I remember, because I know I’ll not only give the main threads to check, but also a summary of what kind of topics were covered, so if I didn’t remember that
                          Ilkyway
                          Ilkyway led that discussion, I’d search for one of the questions that I remember answering, like
                          labrain
                          Forum Member
                          labrain in 08-10-2020 asking about the Pop Tote dimensions Pop Tote Dimensions
                          https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...ote-dimensions

That gives the (old) link to
                          Ilkyway
                          Ilkyway’s thread, but also a quick summary of the main points that are covered there. Also, even though this is way before the forum reindexing, I tend to identify date and posters, as well as thread titles in the search. Any of that information is usually enough for you to find the parent threads. You can either do it with the advanced search function by putting in the name of someone posting (usually searching for the name of a moderator during that period will give you a hit), and with the new forum search features you can specify the date range when something was discussed—so knowing that this thread was a debut discussion in November 2017, and putting in a username plus range of dates from the beginning to end of November 2017 would score you a hit. You can also use Google searches since their crawlbots have been reindexing our site since the upgrade. I don’t even bother to use the site specific syntax that
                          GrussGott
                          Forum Member
                          GrussGott uses — I just type in extra search terms for tom BIHN forums.

But, here are a few more Pop Tote threads I recall that might be of interest
                          bchaplin
                          Forum Member
                          bchaplin posted on 04-01-2018 about packing cubes Pop Tote + Western Flyer cubes
                          https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...rn-flyer-cubes

There was also a discussion of Freudian Slips started 05-14-2018 by
                          fieewanders
                          Forum Member
                          fieewanders Freudian Slip(s) with Pop Tote bag?
                          https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...h-pop-tote-bag

You can always post a question here. The issue you are having with search is that common, short words aren’t handled well. Sometimes you can get around this by putting an * between words, but as soon as you use Pop(3 letters) you get too many results. The best you can do is use a four letter word (like tote) in the keyboards and check the box for titles, You’ll still get too many unwanted results unless you constrain the search by a date range of by adding a user name (anyone you remember with a relevant discussion contribution). This is often where adding a moderator name can help. or you can run a Google search.

The only way to improve this in the context of forum searching is to adopt standardized tagging and apply it — which means an action item to agree on this and start using this. This is the only way that the new policy of having multiple early reviews by individuals who either get early access to preorder bags will be easily findable, and it requires changing current defaults (which are now set to a maximum of 5 keywords), and doing some optimalization experiments.

moriond
                          moriond
                          Volunteer Moderator
                          Last edited by moriond; 05-01-2021, 11:48 AM.

Comment

moriond
                            Volunteer Moderator
                            moriond I just wanted to thank you - not only for being a font of knowledge but so generous with it! I was debating the pop tote (because "alphaviolet") & was wondering about a FS for it so that I could maybe use it for EDC for work and here was a link in your post to the thread on that topic & @Ilkyway's post which was chock full of goodness too. Thank you!

Comment

There used to be an easy way to mark all posts read (without reading them). Is there still a way to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by ayazgood View Post
                                There used to be an easy way to mark all posts read (without reading them). Is there still a way to do that?
                                On my screen I see something at the bottom of all the sub-forums called 'Mark All Channels Read' - give that a try and see if it does it
                                I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Working...
                                X