What are your "permanent" hacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your "permanent" hacks?

I've seen (and read) the other thread about bag hacks, but since that thread is specifically for modifications that don't alter the bag, I'm curious what you all have done that's permanent? Removed any pockets? Sewn anything onto it? And how did it work out for you?

For mine, I haven't done much other than swap out the buckle on a Maker's Bag for a magnetic Fidlock clasp (which I love, and plan to do on other bags eventually).

I've sown a patch on my S25; I entend to do so for each new province/country I visit. I had one (BC), then Covid happened and it kind of dampened my plan to have a bag full of unique patches. If everything goes well, I will be going to P.E.I. this summer too! Another one is with my recently acquired Co-Pilot; the 4 pens slot wasn't doing it for me, so I unsewn one of the divider to have a larger one and two small ones. In my humble opinion, this should be the default.

Comment

Originally posted by DomHorrible View Post
      I've sown a patch on my S25; I entend to do so for each new province/country I visit. I had one (BC), then Covid happened and it kind of dampened my plan to have a bag full of unique patches. If everything goes well, I will be going to P.E.I. this summer too! Another one is with my recently acquired Co-Pilot; the 4 pens slot wasn't doing it for me, so I unsewn one of the divider to have a larger one and two small ones. In my humble opinion, this should be the default.
      That is a really good idea to separate one of the pen dividers. I may just do the same!

I haven’t had the nerve to sew patches on any of my Tom Bihn bags, although I have an old vintage MEI bag I travelled with through Spain and Portugal in the 90s that I sewed patches on from the places I visited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful. — Shaker Philosophy

Comment

Not sure how much of a hack these are, but I cut off all the zipper pull and replaced them with Maxpedition zipper pull on all my bags (Synik 30, Synapse 25 & 19). Two main reasons for this. First, I feel it is easier to open and close the zippers now. Second, I could not stand the jingly/clinging coming from them. It takes a bit of nerve to start cutting anything off a $300 bag, but I am happy I did it. I also bought buckles and installed them on the bottom of the straps to keep the straps in place. That takes a little practice to get used to resizing the straps, but after a couple of times I got my method down.

Comment

I'm very free (but careful!) with my seam ripper to take out sewn dividers and make bigger pockets, like DomHorrible above

Comment

I "fixed" my synik by taping the back closed. This bag was in the closet for a long time because it always annoyed me by catching on my belt in back.

I also basically remove the logos off the outside of my TB bags.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210324_125838.jpg Views:	3 Size:	6.04 MB ID:	330250

Comment

I really, really want to make it so I can use a different shoulder strap on my medium cafe bag, but I keep hoping I can somehow find either a large cafe bag or a maker's bag in aphraviolet; then I'd probably want to sell the medium one.

Comment

Working...
              X