Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,521   Posts: 187,743   Members: 6,485   Active Members: 309
Welcome to our newest member, questah043.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about a Kindle 2 cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foggy Morn
    replied
    The only problem for me with the Sony 505 (which I have in addition to the Kindle 1) is that I use a cover with an integrated light that fits over the screen itself, so while I use a slipcase with the Kindle and read without any case or cover, the Sony needs its cover for the attached light.

I doubt TB will want to have too many sizes and the cover for the Sony 505 is about an inch wider than the unit by itself. It's a tough call with so many variations with covers and covers with lights. Some may be willing to take their readers out of covers to put into a case, but I don't think most will.

The reason I just keep my Kindle in the slipcase and read without a cover is that the covers I have (two) are both awkward to hold as I read. The Sony is more flexible or something and I don't have that trouble with it.

(Keep in mind that this is a lot personal preference as well as a factor of my habits - most of my reading is during the day or in a well-lit space. If reading in bed, then I use the Sony or a Mighty Bright light with the Kindle.)

And if there IS an Apple Tablet (or anything even close), I am so there.

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    I would also love a case for competitor's products such as Sony or maybe Apple in the future.

Leave a comment:

• iammeiam
    replied
    I was given a K2 as a totally unexpected birthday gift late last month, and I love the thing. I do thing the screen could stand to be slightly larger, but the pictures I've seen of the DX make it seem almost too large to be something I could tote anywhere and everywhere (and ever since I got a cover for the thing, I don't leave the house without it.)

I've currently got a Strange Dog Kindle cover, and it's worked out great. It doesn't add much bulk, snaps shut so I don't have to worry about it flopping open in my bag, and is protective enough that I can toss it in a Large Cafe Bag or the under-the-flap front pocket of the Super Ego without worrying about any kind of damage. The covers amount to one guy's part-time hobby, so they tend to be out of stock more than in, but they're also clearly designed by somebody who loves the product and put some thought into it. It is worth noting that he sews a leather strip into the spine of every cover, so even the straight-fabric covers do contain leather.

A Tom Bihn Kindle case would certainly be welcome, though. The market is desperately short on read-in covers with personality and style. And I'd be curious to see if TB could come up to an alternative to the elastic or velcro solutions used by most covers out there.

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    Originally posted by Just View Post
    I have the original Kindle as well. It does fit in a medium organizer pouch. (That's the size that the cayenne ultrasuede pouch came in, right? Sorry, I don't have either with me at the moment. Traveling light - the sacrifices that are made!)
    hi just,

yes the cayenne ultrasuede organizer pouch was in size medium. it is just gorgeous!

Leave a comment:

• Just
    replied
    Originally posted by maverick View Post
    awwww - not discriminating at all!

how are you carrying your kindle? i've seen that the kindle 2 fits inside the medium organizer pouch. does the original also fit in a medium?
    I have the original Kindle as well. It does fit in a medium organizer pouch. (That's the size that the cayenne ultrasuede pouch came in, right? Sorry, I don't have either with me at the moment. Traveling light - the sacrifices that are made!)

Leave a comment:

• Foggy Morn
    replied
    I have a K1 and have pre-ordered a KDX.

The K1 is so great that I ended up not getting the K2, only because the K1 does pretty much everything I want it to and not a lot that I don't. The one thing it didn't do - PDFs - the DX will, so I'm looking forward to the larger version.

I was using the K1 as a paperless device by sending docs and such that I wanted to read to my Kindle instead of printing them out. It was so easy to just email a doc to the Kinde's email address (yes, it has one) and have the doc auto-converted and sent wirelessly to my Kindle. Sweet.

They ostensibly had a ten-cent charge for that, but I can't rememeber ever being charged. However, they have bumped that charge up to fifteen-cents per doc and I HAVE been charged for every doc sent. I may either learn to format for the Kindle myself, or go back to using the Sony 505 I have for that.

One loss that I lament on the DX (and a major reason for not going with the K2) is the elimination of an SD card. It's onboard memory or nothing. Things can get messy with a lot of books, too, as there is no folder organizing in the software.

Still, it's a dream to read on (and I read a LOT).

The case I use for my K1 is the slip case from sfbags (Waterfield). They, too, are made here in the US (SF, actually) and it's served me well for a number of months now.

A TB bag or case would, of course, be on the top of my list, especially in cork! Wow, wouldn't that be spectacular? DX-sized with the black trim like the Swift has... Oh, yeah, I'm there. LOL

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    Originally posted by timothy View Post
    The first such thing that's made me tempted (truly tempted, not just "Hey, that's pretty neat") is the new -- larger -- DX. Esp. with built-in access to Wikipedia ... wow . I dislike the proprietary battery, and it's entirely possible I'd use it basically to read texts from Project Gutenberg rather than the Kindle store, but it's looking like a worthwhile thing.

timothy
    hi timothy!

i was torn over the 2 vs dx choice. i don't think the dx is too big since the screen became larger partially by having the screen take up more of the device surface. i think the dx could even just fit into the small cafe bag.

but because of the cost difference, and because the 2 is available today, i opted for the 2.

as i understand it, both the 2 and the dx allow you access to wikipedia.

mine should arrive on friday. i'll let you know how it works out.

Leave a comment:

• timothy
    replied
    The first such thing that's made me tempted (truly tempted, not just "Hey, that's pretty neat") is the new -- larger -- DX. Esp. with built-in access to Wikipedia ... wow . I dislike the proprietary battery, and it's entirely possible I'd use it basically to read texts from Project Gutenberg rather than the Kindle store, but it's looking like a worthwhile thing.

timothy

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    Originally posted by fbrown627 View Post
    You people are discriminating....I have the original Kindle.
    awwww - not discriminating at all!

how are you carrying your kindle? i've seen that the kindle 2 fits inside the medium organizer pouch. does the original also fit in a medium?

Leave a comment:

• Frank II
    replied
    You people are discriminating....I have the original Kindle.

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    hi folks,

i decided to give the kindle 2 a try. i'm not sure how i'm going to like it, or if the soon to be released kindle dx is the way to go. but i'm hoping that it will be the right size and work out!

i was curious if a kindle 2 case is in the works.

otherwise, i'm thinking of a clear or padded medium organizer pouch.

thanks!
    Last edited by maverick; 05-27-2009, 08:19 AM. Reason: edited to mention clear and padded medium organizer pouches.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    We're thinking of buying our first Kindle soon. That should go a long ways towards making a TOM BIHN Kindle case a reality.

Leave a comment:

• Lawcomic
    replied
    +1 for this. Great idea!

Leave a comment:

• jlbradburn
    replied
    i am curious how easy it would be to read the kindle through the clear urethane, however.
    I have read mine through a ziplock bag including the heavy duty ones they sell at REI, it works great, however they are not as thick as the urethane, and it would probably not be necessary most of the time. I was thinking of something which would be good for travel and a variety of environments. The design i envision would have two zippers around it so when the protection of a cover was not needed you could just unzip it and fold it back on itself so it would be behind the Kindle. One thing I didn't mention was having the proprietary latch to connect the kindle, but the reality is you could use a four corner attachment system with a single zipper design and then place the Kindle in a zip lock bag when extra protection is needed. Patagonia has something similar, but I think Tom Bihn could improve on that design dramatically. I think the cork would be a great fabric for the cover. There is definitely a market for something like this since most of the covers available have gone out of stock at one time or another.

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    yes, cork would be lovely!

Originally posted by MikeL View Post
    I vote for a Kindle 2 Cover in Cork fabric! It's naturally water proof and looks fantastic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X