Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,817   Posts: 191,200   Members: 6,712   Active Members: 264
Welcome to our newest member, toomuchlove.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TB Anticipation Syndrome

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ilkyway View Post
    I honestly dont understand the benefits of MMDDYY.
    How do you sort things in chronological order?

Comment

YYYY;MM;DD If I have to have chronological order (like with my photos) I do it with the Year first. That is what I mean: it does not work (for me) for everyday use and it does not work for chronological ether because the Year is not taken into account. I am sure, that I am missing something that makes sense out of it but so often I had to think twice or more to get the right date: 2.5.14 can be European 2.Mai.2014 or your way 5.Feb.2014 and you put the middle (in terms of time-period) at the front.

But as I was saying: try to learn to count in German and you will get brain-cramps because we are very stupid in that area: 24657 is said: fourandtwentythousendsixhundredsevenandfifty. How stupid is that? And there is no logical explanation whatsoever for this. We go back and forth and if you grow up doing this: fine but if you have to explain how and why to someone else... you (that is I) feel stupid about it.

Ilkyway
      “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

I think the MMDDYY format is to make it easier to translate date formats like Sept 10 2014 - if replacing with numbers, it becomes 091014
        However, Year/Month/Day is the best format to avoid confusion and for chronological sorting if only using numbers. It is just not how people "think" or speak usually

Regardless of this, the YYYYMMDD type format is my preferred way to sort IF grouping things by date on computer, IMHO.

Cheers

Sent from my Samsung Note II
        TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

I think that is the main difference: we speck 15. September 2014 and therefor we wright: 15.09.2014 and you say September 15. and that is what you wright down in numbers.

And on my computer I use the same method as you tpnl. That makes the most sense in the long run.

Ilkyway

PS: I love these little oddities in human societies. That is what separates us from machines.
          “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

But since we Germans count wrong (we say onetwenty insted of twentyone) who am I to judge...
            We English used to count the same way, but it seems to have died out in the 19th century. From "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, published in 1813:

"You cannot be more than twenty, I am sure, -- therefore you need not conceal your age.''

"I am not one and twenty.''

Pity the poor French, who go from sixty to sixty-ten (70) to four twenties (80) ...
            Last edited by scribe; 09-10-2014, 01:12 PM.
            Collections:
            Work EDC: SE + S19
            Leisure: SCBs, FJN, Swift, lots of YSSs
            Travel: WF + Pilot or SA, with SE/SCB
            General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
            Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
            Hoping for: A new dyneema colour for YSSs; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Comment

I couldn't find "Thank You Tom Bihn Staffs" thread. I wish there is such a thread.
              My friend (who had been like my adapted American mother here in the States) received her B-day gift yesterday as it was scheduled!
              Just happened that I was invited over at her house for home cooked "un"stuffed cabbage rolls and pirogi dinner.
              I had asked Tom Bihn Staff for a box art that kind a says "from a loyal Mariner's fan (me) to hard core Tiger's fan (her)", when I placed my order. And this beautiful amazing art was waiting for her at her porch, when she returned home from her work interview earlier.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2585.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	490.3 KB
ID:	293298

This is her with her B-day gift box.

Name:	IMG_2593.JPG
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	293299

This is What was inside the box. I got her Aubergine/Wasabi Swift bag with a pencil case.

Name:	IMG_2590.JPG
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	293300

Thank you Tom Bihn staffs for making my gift so special!! She and her husband had been like my mom and pa to me,
              and they often invite me to go up north with them or just invite me for home cooked meals and I just wanted to give a gift that says thanks for their kindness as well as to celebrate her B-day.
              I don't know who took so much time to make this box art so perfect,
              but I just wanted to say thank you.

Comment

But as I was saying: try to learn to count in German and you will get brain-cramps because we are very stupid in that area: 24657 is said: fourandtwentythousendsixhundredsevenandfifty. How stupid is that? And there is no logical explanation whatsoever for this. We go back and forth and if you grow up doing this: fine but if you have to explain how and why to someone else... you (that is I) feel stupid about it.

Ilkyway
                I teach German at a U.S. university and we were doing numbers in class tonight. I thought the poor students' heads were going to explode...... "WHY are the numbers so long?" they asked :-)

Comment

Wow, ludovicus, that is some impressive box art! What a lovely gift for your friend.

You all are giving me bad flashbacks to my high school German class with all this talk of numbers and counting.

I'm still impatiently waiting on my backordered steel/uv A30, hoping for an early shipment notice. If it doesn't ship by the time I expect to go to the TB store next week, maybe I'll just have to trade for an Aubergine A30 instead if they're in stock.
                  Rambling On. . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by ludovicus View Post
                    I couldn't find "Thank You Tom Bihn Staffs" thread. I wish there is such a thread.
                    My friend (who had been like my adapted American mother here in the States) received her B-day gift yesterday as it was scheduled!
                    Just happened that I was invited over at her house for home cooked "un"stuffed cabbage rolls and pirogi dinner.
                    I had asked Tom Bihn Staff for a box art that kind a says "from a loyal Mariner's fan (me) to hard core Tiger's fan (her)", when I placed my order. And this beautiful amazing art was waiting for her at her porch, when she returned home from her work interview earlier.
                    This made my day! How sweet. Love the art and Doraemon ... and the Swift looks great on her

Comment

Originally posted by Meglet View Post
                      maybe I'll just have to trade for an Aubergine A30 instead if they're in stock.
                      The TB bug has clearly bitten you! I'm a bit jealous that you are so close to the TB store that you can just visit there... but it's probably better for my bank balance that I don't have that luxury...

According to the UPS tracking site, my A30 and QKits are currently languishing in Castle Donnington, UK - which is the main routing hub for UPS air freight in the UK as far as I know. The tracking info still says 'on time for delivery by end of day Friday 12th September' but the package hasn't moved since last night and it's now Thursday morning and WHY ISN'T IT MOVING IT SHOULD BE AT BRISTOL SORTING OFFICE AT LEAST BY NOW GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!

Ahem. Sorry. I think I've got it bad...
                      A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Comment

Well, silly old me forgot to choose the "24 hour self collect" option, so my parcels are currently waiting at the post office, which will be open tomorrow at 9:30am. There are so many goodies that I'm kicking myself for not being to able to drive out to pick my stuff up right now! You'll find me waiting outside for them to unlock the doors tomorrow morning, that's for sure. (Hooray for no Friday classes.)

Comment

I'm getting a package today too! Mostly things for putting together items from the 10 essentials list. But, I did throw in a few things for myself. After all, I need a 10 essentials kit too. And maybe a small black shop bag. And an organizer wallet. And some key straps. And some mini organizer pouches. Thank goodness there aren't more things in black dyneema/UV. Somehow I haven't gotten in trouble with the honey. Yet.

Comment

BTW, who does the amazing box art? Do you just request it?

Comment

What an awesome day! Not only did I get my TB order, I also got box art! I didn't even request it. I wonder if it's because I've placed 5 orders since July? At any rate, I love the TB crew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oooh, that's some very pretty box art!

I'm now stalking not one but TWO backorders, for the previously mentioned A30 and now the new grey/ultraviolet S19. I'm desperately hoping that both are available to be picked up when I get to have time for a store visit next week - I even remembered to put a note in my S19 order about it!
                                Rambling On. . . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X