Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,996   Posts: 193,770   Members: 6,894   Active Members: 244
Welcome to our newest member, gojonnie.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TB Anticipation Syndrome

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selcouth
    replied
    I pre-ordered a Synik 30 in Black/Solaris as an upgrade to my Black/Wasabi Synapse 25. Yellow is my favorite color so I'm psyched I was able to get an order in. I also grabbed a size 1 HLT in Solaris but I'm upset with myself that I didn't go for more. I probably would have picked up a Cubelet and maybe a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. I didn't realize the Solaris offerings would be gone with the pre-orders. Thankfully the Snake Charmers still show Solaris in production so I'll try to grab one of those when they're ready. I can't wait!

Leave a comment:

• b1gsky
    replied
    I just saw the video of the Tidal EC on Instagram and now I’m really happy that I ordered the SE in this color after all. Such a pretty color.

Leave a comment:

• Chicagoan
    replied
    Originally posted by pammy View Post
    Great minds think alike. lol. I too considered canceling one of my Paragons, but in the end I wanted to see both the GE edition and black/Solaris.
    Add myself to the list of folks who ordered both Design Lab and Guide’s Edition Paragon backpacks.

I have always loved the GE aesthetic, but when they offered bags in a Guide’s Edition, it was always more bag than I needed. Too overbuilt. Too organized. Too heavy. I didn’t need a Synik or Synapse for weekend trips or day hikes.

My bag of choice is a Luminary 15. Simple. Self-supporting. Big *** main compartment that can hold a water bottle upright. Has just the right number of compartments (holds keys and wallet on the outside, small items on the inside). Deep enough main compartment that you can fill the bottom and have enough room left on the top half for a quick run to the store, or an extra sweater or jacket.

But the Luminary is a bullet-shaped bag that is a little too small for packing items like slacks and dress shirts, and offers no external storage options for things like a camera tripod.

I ordered a DL Paragon because I wanted a daypack large enough to fit dress clothes for weekend travel (we usually try to enjoy at least one nice dinner).

And I ordered a GE Paragon because I wanted a daypack that could lug a camera tripod. We take a lot of pictures on our trips and we find that, when we don’t take a tripod, we don’t take as many pictures of ourselves.

Colors? Black/Coyote for the DL Paragon. And, despite the knee-jerk desire for Ursa or Wilderness, I ordered the GE Paragon in Nebulous Gray.

Nebulous in particular has really grown on me. When I ordered my first Everyday Cubelet, that was the only neutral color left in stock. Now I like it so much I cancelled an order placed for an Ursa GE Paragon so I could place a new order for one in Nebulous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• pammy
    replied
    Originally posted by theswiftbiker View Post
    I ended up cancelling my paragon and getting a seapine and burnt orange PUT!! They will be my first PUT's and also first seapine item!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Great minds think alike. lol. I too considered canceling one of my Paragons, but in the end I wanted to see both the GE edition and black/Solaris. So I had to restrain myself and only ordered one more Pick-Up Truck last night. You see, on the first day of the preorder I also ordered a Logic Blue PU Truck, so I couldn't justify a burnt orange one. But Seapine is a great color. It's a beautiful bluish-green. I love it; hope you do too.

Leave a comment:

• theswiftbiker
    replied
    Ooh, Burnt Orange. I was torn between that color and Seapine last night. I debated it for a while before settling on Seapine because I have a Monster Truck in that color that I adore, but it definitely was a tough choice. I actually wanted Pick-Up Trucks in both colors but I've already done enough credit card damage during this preorder.
    I ended up cancelling my paragon and getting a seapine and burnt orange PUT!! They will be my first PUT's and also first seapine item!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• pammy
    replied
    Originally posted by G42 View Post
    Insomnia driven shopping... a Pick-Up Truck in Burnt Orange made it into my pre-order at 3am. Normally I like the 210 ballistic for those smaller bags, but I used my 525 Black PUT this past weekend and it was great and since there's no 210 of Burnt Orange....
    Ooh, Burnt Orange. I was torn between that color and Seapine last night. I debated it for a while before settling on Seapine because I have a Monster Truck in that color that I adore, but it definitely was a tough choice. I actually wanted Pick-Up Trucks in both colors but I've already done enough credit card damage during this preorder.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Insomnia driven shopping... a Pick-Up Truck in Burnt Orange made it into my pre-order at 3am. Normally I like the 210 ballistic for those smaller bags, but I used my 525 Black PUT this past weekend and it was great and since there's no 210 of Burnt Orange....

Leave a comment:

• pammy
    replied
    ETA: I also justified this with the fact that I'm not ordering a 200d Halcyon Island Side Effect -- that's exercising restraint, right? And I was thinking that this sort of blue probably goes better with Aubergine when used with other grey or black colors.
    moriond, Acuity is very a lovely color. It makes me think a glacier or the Arctic, sort of blue ice-ish. But I think you see an Island one too. Aubergine/Island has been a very popular combination. So don’t miss out on perhaps your one and only time to snag an Island SE. (says the enabler)

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    moriond, did you end up ordering the UV and NWS Side Effects? My work has been crazy since the preorder last Wednesday, but I did get a chance to order the UV and Island SEs over the weekend, and I sit here pondering if I might regret not getting an Acuity one too. I've tended to not acquire many items in Acuity because it is very light in color and, thus, may be more prone to showing dirt. However, since it's a limited edition color ...
    Yes, I did order UV and Northwest Sky 200d Halcyon Side Effects. Even though Acuity is a light color, I thought that it looked really pretty when used in the Everyday Cubelet pictures:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	tb_everyday_cubelet-1002_websize.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	307977

There are also some instances where I use the 200d Halcyon Side Effects as a more useful size than the 3D Organize Cube (which we currently don't seem to have these available in Fabric or mesh options anymore), so there are some cases where I would use this as bag in bag, too.

HTH

moriond

ETA: I also justified this with the fact that I'm not ordering a 200d Halcyon Island Side Effect -- that's exercising restraint, right? And I was thinking that this sort of blue probably goes better with Aubergine when used with other grey or black colors.
    Last edited by moriond; 02-09-2021, 04:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pammy
    replied
    Originally posted by moriond View Post
    I ordered the same Side Effect colors that you did, but then decided to add Acuity. Now I am wondering whether I should get Ultraviolet and maybe the Northwest Sky. There are just some situations where that size works better than the 3D Organizer Cubes (which appear to no longer be made in fabric -- at least for now). I also checked the Ghost Whale Pouches, but they don't seem to have added a lot to these yet.
    moriond, did you end up ordering the UV and NWS Side Effects? My work has been crazy since the preorder last Wednesday, but I did get a chance to order the UV and Island SEs over the weekend, and I sit here pondering if I might regret not getting an Acuity one too. I've tended to not acquire many items in Acuity because it is very light in color and, thus, may be more prone to showing dirt. However, since it's a limited edition color ...

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Originally posted by NWhikergal View Post
    I love that the extended pre-order period is so much less stressful. The only potential negative side effect (no pun intended) is my self control has been seriously challenged as the temptation factor of add-ons is quite intense given the longer contemplation period. For example, I placed an order for a black/solaris Paragon, but I keep eyeing the Taiga one. That is a personal issue though, and I am grateful for the opportunity to make choices in a more leisurely fashion. Must hold the line...
    I believe pre-orders were available before many joined the forum, but, it had to be put on hold due to, I think, software limitations.

I am extremely grateful to The Crew, for bringing back the pre-orders setup. This way, I can plan between wants (all the bags, in my favorite colors) and needs (I have been a Tom Bihn Inc customer since 2006, so I have quite a collection, already, but the most versatile accessories can always find a place)

Darcy, will more colors of the Zippered Shop Bags be produced in 2021 as well?

With the pandemic, everything used outdoors has zippers, well except masks and hats.
    Last edited by backpack; 02-05-2021, 01:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NWhikergal
    replied
    I love that the extended pre-order period is so much less stressful. The only potential negative side effect (no pun intended) is my self control has been seriously challenged as the temptation factor of add-ons is quite intense given the longer contemplation period. For example, I placed an order for a black/solaris Paragon, but I keep eyeing the Taiga one. That is a personal issue though, and I am grateful for the opportunity to make choices in a more leisurely fashion. Must hold the line...

Leave a comment:

• ksci17
    replied
    I also really enjoyed the pre order experience. I was able to order while on a quick bathroom break at work lol my order went through at 10:01ET so I would call that a success. My biggest concern was that the website would be slow but no problems at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    Thank you (and everyone else who shared) this feedback. From our vantage point, and based on what folks have been telling us, this pre-order/debut/drop-whatever-the-current-term-is worked better for everyone. Here at TB, it also felt really good.

We're going to challenge ourselves to handle releases in this way whenever we can. There may be some exceptions: for example, there's a design of Tom's that recycles a certain material.... but we thought of recycling that material a bit late in the game and only have a small-ish quantity of it! But we still want to share what we've come up with with all of you. So, that's an example of an item that could sell out very quick and that we wouldn't be able to make more of for a while. We'd also still like to debut something on the Monday after Thanksgiving, and the timeline isn't long enough for that to be a pre-order. I know I am not the only one who enjoys a little holiday shopping and likes to buy from my favorite small or unique businesses on that day.

Mostly, though, this pre-order served as an example of how we'd like things to work in the future.
    I love the pre-order setup, it is much more relaxed than the "hope my favorite items don't sell out, check the clock, get the cc ready, pounding heart" events.

I hope the PCSB new fabric in deep blue is coming back for at least, another time.

I would love for Acuity to become a regular color, replacing Island which I never warmed up to, despite the fact that I love blues.

Leave a comment:

• laokai
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    Good question. We actually cut and started production on some of the bags offered for pre-order about two weeks ago with the goal of getting a head-start on production. That head start will, we think, in most cases allow us to shuffle things so that one order with multiple items can ship complete sooner rather than later. In other words: things would line up so that you wouldn't have to wait more than a few days for that Side Kick to be ready if your Synik is ready.
    Darcy, thanks so much for your very helpful reply!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X