Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,953   Posts: 193,088   Members: 6,829   Active Members: 295
Welcome to our newest member, JuniorCyclist.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TB Anticipation Syndrome

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b1gsky View Post
    So I guess the same will probably apply to my order, good to know.
    I had the same question, and CS let me know yesterday that it did indeed ship on Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
      Both of your orders shipped on Tuesday, but the order status didn't update for some reason so shipping notifications didn't get sent out -- we're still trying to figure that part out. Sorry
      What about the ones with the opposite problem? I did receive a shipping notice, but USPS tracking shows no activity beyond "shipping label created" Tuesday night, and even if the label tracking failed, I live close enough that the order should have been here yesterday or today but it is not. Not sure if this is a known issue, or I need to have CS look into it.
      Last edited by Meglet; 02-28-2019, 10:05 AM.
      Rambling On. . . . .

Comment

Both of your orders shipped on Tuesday, but the order status didn't update for some reason so shipping notifications didn't get sent out -- we're still trying to figure that part out. Sorry
        Yay! Thanks for the update, Darcy, much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by Meglet View Post
          What about the ones with the opposite problem? I did receive a shipping notice, but USPS tracking shows no activity beyond "shipping label created" Tuesday night, and even if the label tracking failed, I live close enough that the order should have been here yesterday or today but it is not. Not sure if this is a known issue, or I need to have CS look into it.
          I, too, have an order that TB's email says shipped Tuesday but USPS says a label was created, with no further activity.
          Small Cafe Bag in Deep Blue/Grass - Medium Cafe Bag in Alphaviolet/Cloud - Pop Tote in Olive; Side Kicks in Aubergine/Island Halcyon, Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - Side Effect in Nordic Halcyon/Northwest Sky Halcyon - S25 in Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - Luminary 15 in Nebulous Gray/Island

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
            To supplement @pammy’s quick explanation of PLO=purse-like object, see my post (#6) in the Acronyms Guide sticky thread, that cites the history of its use. The earlier few posts identified both @backpack and @dorayme as early adopters/users of this acronym and concept in forum discussions, but I linked the first instance that I can remember of the abbreviation’s use (by @dorayme).

HTH

moriond
            As usual, you are spot on! Dorayme invented the acronym.

Because I am really fond of masupializing (placing TB pouches inside of my TB EDC bags), which are never smaller than the SCB, I didn't have the occasion to use a TB Pouch as a PLO, until I used a Pouch as a mini purse, for dinner at an event, in the hotel I stayed.

I have done that with many TB Pouches, every time I go to breakfast room during hotels stays.
            In those crowded breakfast rooms, even an SCB is too much.
            Many times, I pick up pastries and food and bring them up to the room to enjoy, so an OP with phone and key is all I need.

It is also true, when going to the hotel gym, to counter the effect of the local pastries and traditional carb dishes, which are always included on a trip.
            Last edited by backpack; 02-28-2019, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chaimonkey View Post
              I, too, have an order that TB's email says shipped Tuesday but USPS says a label was created, with no further activity.
              And the answer from Customer Service is. . . . my order "shipped" Tuesday but the label was printed after USPS picked up that day. For some unclear (to me) reason, USPS didn't pick up from Tom Bihn at all on Wednesday, so the Tuesday shipment just sat in the warehouse an extra day. Everything should have been picked up today (Thursday) and start showing tracking activity.

Mildly annoying to me, as I'm used to being able to get my orders the following day, not 3 full days later since I live so close. Guess I will consider paying the extra $3 for UPS shipping over USPS if they're going to start doing intermittent pick-ups like that.
              Rambling On. . . . .

Comment

Mildly annoying to me, as I'm used to being able to get my orders the following day, not 3 full days later since I live so close. Guess I will consider paying the extra $3 for UPS shipping over USPS if they're going to start doing intermittent pick-ups like that.
                I’m gonna guess that can be blamed on the snow they had prior to the launch, and the launch/pre-order deluge!

Comment

Originally posted by tress29 View Post
                  I’m gonna guess that can be blamed on the snow they had prior to the launch, and the launch/pre-order deluge!
                  Not this time, it has been sunny and clear all week this week, in particular since placing the order on Tuesday.
                  Rambling On. . . . .

Comment

Not this time, it has been sunny and clear all week this week, in particular since placing the order on Tuesday.
                    That's interesting, because my email confirmation finally arrives and part of the UPS tracking on the website says it sat in Portland for over an extra day due to 'weather delays'
                    All I can think is that they were lacking trucks/planes due to the weather in the mid-west....

ETA: we've had more rain and flooding in CA and major snow in the mountains, but I hadn't heard of issues on I-5 coming south...
                    Last edited by G42; 02-28-2019, 06:44 PM.
                    “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
                    “Sir?”
                    “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
                    “Sir?”
                    “That’s practically zen.”
                    -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                      That's interesting, because my email confirmation finally arrives and part of the UPS tracking on the website says it sat in Portland for over an extra day due to 'weather delays'
                      All I can think is that they were lacking trucks/planes due to the weather in the mid-west....

ETA: we've had more rain and flooding in CA and major snow in the mountains, but I hadn't heard of issues on I-5 coming south...
                      Portland did have snow and ice on Wednesday, but it was local down there. Nothing to affect shipments that were local within Seattle.

My PCSB is finally out for delivery, so I'll get to play with it this weekend, yay!
                      Rambling On. . . . .

Comment

And the answer from Customer Service is. . . . my order "shipped" Tuesday but the label was printed after USPS picked up that day. For some unclear (to me) reason, USPS didn't pick up from Tom Bihn at all on Wednesday, so the Tuesday shipment just sat in the warehouse an extra day. Everything should have been picked up today (Thursday) and start showing tracking activity.

Sorry for the annoyance, Meglet. I had a somewhat similar experience with an order I placed that I was really excited about: tracking said it'd be delivered Tuesday and it's now Friday and.... kinda puts a damper on the fun.

We have ongoing struggles with our USPS pick-up. Let me be clear that this is not the fault of the drivers, and honestly we don't really know what the issue is as it's been difficult to get to the bottom of it. What we do sometimes is take the USPS packages to the post office ourself, but that didn't happen on Tuesday (obviously). I think what we can do going forward is just make it policy that we drive USPS packages to the post office if USPS doesn't pick up.

One side note: if anyone needs more of a guarantee and trackability for an order, we do recommend choosing UPS over USPS. UPS really shouldn't be necessary especially for shipments from Seattle to Seattle so this isn't about your order @Meglet. For orders shipping from Seattle to anywhere out of Washington state, it's best to choose UPS if you want to try to avoid delays. USPS and UPS have different specialities / pros and cons -- and UPS tracking isn't always perfect, as it can sometimes show a package scanned in a location / no movement / then, bam, it's delivered on its promised date -- but when it comes to assurance, we recommend UPS.
                        Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Oh, I think that's an illustration of something one of my professors was talking about earlier this semester! One of my classes right now is Operational Risk Management. The professor's point was that individual risks (where "risk" means any kind of disruption, including weather delays) happen about as often as they ever have, but our increasing interconnectedness makes it seem like they're happening more often because now weather in the Midwest affects your order's journey down the West Coast, instead of just being something the Midwesterners have to deal with over there.
                          I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Comment

Originally posted by aedifica View Post
                            Oh, I think that's an illustration of something one of my professors was talking about earlier this semester! One of my classes right now is Operational Risk Management. The professor's point was that individual risks (where "risk" means any kind of disruption, including weather delays) happen about as often as they ever have, but our increasing interconnectedness makes it seem like they're happening more often because now weather in the Midwest affects your order's journey down the West Coast, instead of just being something the Midwesterners have to deal with over there.
                            Yes, that's definitely an aspect of it. Another major factor is that in the drive to eliminate costs, supply chains in general are tightening up and removing slack/capacity, so whilst the frequency of risk events isn't necessarily increasing, the capacity to respond has decreased.
                            “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
                            “Sir?”
                            “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
                            “Sir?”
                            “That’s practically zen.”
                            -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

We have ongoing struggles with our USPS pick-up. Let me be clear that this is not the fault of the drivers, and honestly we don't really know what the issue is as it's been difficult to get to the bottom of it.
                              I swear sometimes USPS is just like "nah, I don't feel like it" and just doesn't bother with pickups or deliveries. I'm surprised they skip something as relatively large as your company pickup, though.
                              Rambling On. . . . .

Comment

We here in Western Montana have been getting slammed with snow storms for over a week. There have been several avalanches onto I-90, closing the highway for hours. I-90 goes from Seattle through Montana, so that may have something to do with any shipping delays.
                                Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
                                Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
                                Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Comment

Working...
                                X