Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,998   Posts: 193,786   Members: 6,895   Active Members: 240
Welcome to our newest member, Kimiko.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TB Anticipation Syndrome

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by G42 View Post

We'd love to see photos of how you use your new bags (hint hint, shameless whining)
    😁
    No photos, but I transferred some of my items into a Small Ghost Whale organizer pouch (yes, I am that far behind). I love that they fit tampons!

TB Stuff: Cadet (steel/iberian), Pilot (verde/steel), Synapse 19 (Black/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (New Nordic/NW Sky), Swift (Aubergine/NW Sky), Makers Bag (Black/Steel), Aeronaut 30 (Black/Zest), Aeronaut 45 (Black/Ultraviolet).

Comment

The plan was to keep an ADX26 (and some other items) I ordered from the holiday debut, but around the same time I made that purchase, a Coyote SN22 GE (that also included all the original and add-on accessories) came up for sale, and that was just a bag I couldn't pass up.

I tried to buy this model from a limited quantity restock, and despite that being the one and only item I tried to buy, I couldn't check out fast enough, and someone else bought the very last SN22 GE that was available at that time.

So here's the most recent "Over My Dead Body" addition to my Tom Bihn collection.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221207_184951.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.00 MB ID:	344578
      Last edited by Chicagoan; 12-07-2022, 05:25 PM.
      I own a LOT of Tom Bihn bags, but here are the ones I'm using right now:
      Everyday Carry: SK
      Hiking Daypack: Cambiata

Car Travel: SK, T45, MT
      Plane
      ​Travel: CP, TS, SZTSB

Comment

Do you have the Coyote strap keepers? I see they’re currently in production. Congratulations on getting the GE Synik 22 in Coyote.

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
          Do you have the Coyote strap keepers? I see they’re currently in production. Congratulations on getting the GE Synik 22 in Coyote.
          Thanks!

It actually did come with a set of Coyote strap keepers, as well as a pair of lash straps, and an ice axe strap - even had the LNT tag and original set of zipper pulls, plus the hang tag.

It was about as complete a sale as you could ask for!
          Last edited by Chicagoan; 12-08-2022, 07:47 AM.
          I own a LOT of Tom Bihn bags, but here are the ones I'm using right now:
          Everyday Carry: SK
          Hiking Daypack: Cambiata

Car Travel: SK, T45, MT
          Plane
          ​Travel: CP, TS, SZTSB

Comment

Originally posted by Chicagoan View Post

Thanks!

It actually did come with a set of Coyote strap keepers, as well as a pair of last straps, and an ice axe strap - even had the LNT tag and original set of zipper pulls, plus the hang tag.

It was about as complete a sale as you could ask for!
            For those of you wondering about the LNT tag, see this Leave No Trace Behind blog post with picture and explanation

Comment

First proper TB order for me in about 6 years (leaving aside face masks and replacement parts) arriving tomorrow - an Old School Carry All. I've been obsessively checking the tracking as the item made its way across the pond (dispatched Monday and arriving tomorrow, Friday). I'll be up early tomorrow and waiting for the doorbell!

And then I realised today that I missed something so another order - Vertical Packing Cubelet (solaris so very visible) with 5/8 shoulder strap for carrying around my phone in the gym - is now on its way too!

Comment

Hi All,

I was wondering whether there were more reactions to the recent releases that I could read about here. Specifically, given the speed with which the Small Grab Bag sold out, I ‘m curious to hear people’s reactions to it., and I also like the vertical cubes a lot, A lot of the discussion has ended up being embedded in the long list of photos, and it has been hard to keep up with discussions unless you read through many different threads. To make this simpler here’s the List - Small Grab Bags thread that G42 started on 11-15-20222.

I’ll add that there were some initial comments about how the first set of names (City Blues, Mistah J, and Montana) didn’t provide any information about the materials used. I posted

I received a version of the new Small Grab Bag from TB (but I've been really swamped with work lately, and will need time to post pictures). The material at the side of City Blues feels like the fabric of the ADDAX26, which is listed as 2x2 Ballistic Nylon. It might be slightly more flexible than 525d ballistic, but similar weave, and not as flexing as 630d Recycled. The outer grey material feels slightly lighter, but again similar texture weave. I like this a lot (and I found some of the early Grab Bag sides too stiff, and Cerylon much lighter). It's a good blend, and a very handy size because of its depth. I can stuff an HLT1 inside, and mold a Halcyon HLT2 so that the bottom of it fits into the small Grab Bag

I also posted some of my pictures of both the Small Grab Bags and vertical cubelets here on 12-19-2022. I’ll also say that I really like the vertical cubes in terms of their sizing and how they fit into the TB accessory lineup. They really work well if you need to separate out beverages(500 ml size) or carry liquid items (e.g.lotion for changing diapers and cold medicine for kids along with swabs in a pocket pouch attached to an internal O-ring), and not just for holding eyeglasses, plus they pack more conveniently into other larger bags/accessories than the Everyday Cubelet in many cases.

i keep wanting to abbreviate these as 3DVOC to match the horizontal 3DOCs though.

Happy New Year All,

moriond

ETA: Pictures and detailed comments on these accessories can also be found in Chicagoan Reviews New for Winter 2022 Accessories and Nov 2022 accessories VPC, Mesh Laundry Sack, Small Grab Bag threads. The first shows the Montana small grab bag and the second by Cristina shows the Mistah J small grab bag. My later post linked above shows some complementary colors in the grab bags and more vertical Cubelet Halcyon colors. ( I like Montana, but wanted to show color differences between Moab and Açaí against the grab bag colors, and also wanted to show options like Navy Parapack /Coyote Diamondback which I wouldn’t have gotten if I haalkd also gotten the Montana selection with its Coyote surround)

ETA2: Since it's Monday 1-02-2023 and the store is still closed, I thought I'd add the links for discussions of Nik's Wallet (included in my linked post of photos to show it in Night Walk Halcyon). The policy of restricting number of sales resulted in continued availability of these wallets, although style 4 (with webbing loop) sold out earlier in NightWalk, and then got restocked. (Currently the NightWalk version of 5 also shows as out of stock). Current Nik's Wallets transitioned from using Aether to Piscine linings (see the October Blog posts October 2022 - What We're Working On At The TOM BIHN Factory and October Restocks And What’s Coming for discussions about the transition to Piscine). I'll just state that I liked the use of Piscine in these wallets. It's slightly thinner and smoother than Aether. latchford also posted pictures and impression of the Night Walk Nik's Wallets she received in the Ode to Pouches, Stuff Sacks, Cubes, & Other Organizational Bits thread on 12-24-2022.

Last edited by moriond; 01-02-2023, 03:05 PM.

Comment

dirkhaun

Did you see that there are more Large and Small Grab Bags In Production? 😉
                  “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
                  “Sir?”
                  “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
                  “Sir?”
                  “That’s practically zen.”
                  -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

dirkhaun

Did you see that there are more Large and Small Grab Bags In Production? 😉
                    Fortunately, they are not showing up for me at the moment ...

(Edit) Saw the colours in your list posts. Nothing in this round that would trigger an impulse buy. Thanks for the heads-up anyway
                    Last edited by dirkhaun; 01-10-2023, 02:10 AM.

Comment

I’m heading to Montreal in March and it is a rather quick work training with a lot of time on day of arrival spent out and about before I am able to check in to my hotel and drop off bags. I will be dressed very warmly for the weather upon arrival. I plan on keeping the packing very minimal (just the Paradigm with an extra thermal top, pajamas, iPad mini, and socks/undergarments) but…I felt like a simple hip pack would be helpful for keeping my phone/passport/wallet accessible on my front body. The LPD and the LGD were too big for my liking and returned shortly after ordered a while back. So I just ordered myself a Bummer in black! I hope the Paradigm+Bummer will be an ideal minimalist combo. Now, I will (try to) patiently wait.

Comment

Longtime admirer of TB bags; first time buyer. My 10 year old TNF backpack is literally falling apart, so I wanted to get a new backpack that doubled as a "I deserve nice things" self-gift. 😃 Ordered a Synik 30 (Night Walk 400 Halcyon/Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon) and an assortment of other small things to aid in organization: a super-mini Ghost Whale, a mini Ghost Whale, a Cubelet, and a HLT1 in Solaris. And let's be honest, there's a non-zero probability that I'll order a HLT2 once the new colors are out of production. 😂

I'm not 100% sure about the Halcyon fabric for the backpack because I've always had ballistic. That said, I know it's popular in the TB world and figure there must be some good reasons for that. Either way, I'm excited to get a new bag and to the organizational potential that the Synik offers. I'll be sure to post some pics once everything arrives this upcoming week.

Comment

Originally posted by nsh View Post
                          I’m heading to Montreal in March and it is a rather quick work training with a lot of time on day of arrival spent out and about before I am able to check in to my hotel and drop off bags. I will be dressed very warmly for the weather upon arrival. I plan on keeping the packing very minimal (just the Paradigm with an extra thermal top, pajamas, iPad mini, and socks/undergarments) but…I felt like a simple hip pack would be helpful for keeping my phone/passport/wallet accessible on my front body. The LPD and the LGD were too big for my liking and returned shortly after ordered a while back. So I just ordered myself a Bummer in black! I hope the Paradigm+Bummer will be an ideal minimalist combo. Now, I will (try to) patiently wait.
                          It arrived!! It was the best surprise on this super cold Boston weekend to get this (early) in the mail today. I think the Paradigm and Bummer are a match made in heaven 🥰
                          Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to the Forums dwanzerserrano !
                            Definitely looking forward to your pics of your new bag & accessories!
                            400d halcyon is definitely my favorite but many folks prefer Ballistic or Cordura.
                            Just in case you haven't heard, the mill that makes the 400d weight of halcyon closed a while ago, so TB is running out the last of their material and haven't found a replacement so far. So trying Night Walk now is good timing before it's gone. (Note, the lighter 200d halcyon is made in a different, still open, factory)

nsh
                            Hope you're staying warm out there
                            The pairing looks good! Like your stuffed animal friend too 😊
                            “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
                            “Sir?”
                            “Sir?”

Comment

Welcome to the Forums dwanzerserrano !
                              Definitely looking forward to your pics of your new bag & accessories!
                              400d halcyon is definitely my favorite but many folks prefer Ballistic or Cordura.
                              Just in case you haven't heard, the mill that makes the 400d weight of halcyon closed a while ago, so TB is running out the last of their material and haven't found a replacement so far. So trying Night Walk now is good timing before it's gone. (Note, the lighter 200d halcyon is made in a different, still open, factory)
                              Thanks for the warm welcome and the info! I remember reading about that mill issue, but was under the mistaken impression that was temporary and had passed. So now I'm *extra glad* I've jumped in with this order. And of course, you're totally feeding my FOMO. So if I like material on my Synik, I'm almost certainly going to obsessively scan the other bags and accessories to pull the trigger on more Halcyon 400 things. 🤣

Wait ... is this the "anticipation syndrome" thread or the "acquisition disorder" thread? 🧐

Comment

Originally posted by dwanzerserrano View Post
                                Wait ... is this the "anticipation syndrome" thread or the "acquisition disorder" thread? 🧐
                                One and the same my friend, ONE AND THE SAME 🙄☺️
                                “Sir?”
                                “Sir?”

Comment

Working...
                                X