Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,771   Posts: 190,613   Members: 6,655   Active Members: 266
Welcome to our newest member, Oliver18.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synapse Freudian Slip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gmanedit
    replied
    Thank you, backpack, for these splendid suggestions. They look like useful ways to carry paper. Now I must confess: It's not just the carrying, but the instant access that's important to me.

I have been a compulsive reader since childhood, when I would read the Chex Express at breakfast. I was the kid reading while walking. I was a Lit major at school, and somehow ended up a copy editor. I always always always take something to read, in case there's dead time on the bus or subway, waiting for the bus or subway, waiting for a restaurant order or on line at the bank. With a backpack, there's the initial decision to unclip the waist and sternum straps and swing the bag around, then hold it while unzipping it. But after that, with the FS, once I was in, I was in.

In the spirit of ex machina, I'm going to try DIY. It suddenly came to me: an FS made of Tyvek. Say, three Tyvek envelopes, nested, cut across at different heights. Maybe stiffened with a sheet of plastic or cardboard, or maybe just suspended from the o-rings. The beauty of Tyvek is that it's lightweight, it's indestructible in normal use, and it takes up no more space than its contents.

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Using a Large Pouch with a rigid poly folder or the backing of a letter size notepad keeps paper neatly together.

I you want even more neatness, you can use various plastic envelopes the size of the paper you are transporting.

Another way to do it is to use Medium, Small and Mini Pouches inside Large Pouches in Cordura.

You can even slip an extra Dyneema Large Pouch in between Cordura ones if you think you need more storage but not much bulk.

Now, I know that the Pouches have an horizontal opening which means they have to be removed from backpacks to get to the documents inside.

This is one of the reason I have been sharing the idea of portrait or portrait/landspape openings Pouches, which would be tremendously useful in backpacks.

I just thought that Cork Archetypes in Various size would be ideal as rigid backpack organizers.
    Below is a picture of an Archetype.
    http://www.tombihn.com/blog/node/192

I know that Tom could tweak them to have handles in both directions as he does so well with the luggage bags.

In a pinch, one could use a Cache as double duty documents or laptop holder.

I use Brain and Cafe Bags as my main, on the go, bags.

Lately, I have been using the Aeronaute Dyneema Backpack Packing Cube as a paperwork holder to supplement a Small Cafe Bag which holds the essentials.

Last year, at this time, I used a Brain Bag for a class and a Large Cafe Bag which held the essentials and various writing instruments.

The Aeronaute Dyneema Backpack Packing Cube is fitted with a Large Clear Pouch and it also holds a notebook, and a junior size plastic envelope that houses 2 notepads, various small sized loose papers, pencils and such.
    Last edited by backpack; 12-14-2009, 05:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gmanedit
    replied
    Well, okay, I can live with the small pockets; I just want as many of the file-folder pockets as possible.

Leave a comment:

• timarelay
    replied
    Hm, this is interesting. I do quite like the pockets on the side. I haven't been using the synpase heavily yet (we had anatomy lab this semester and I didn't carry much to school on me those days) so I'm not sure yet what would ultimately be more convenient. I'll be flying with it in less than a week though!

My gut reaction is that I would not want to sacrifice the pockets for a larger interior.

Leave a comment:

• gmanedit
    started a topic Synapse Freudian Slip

Synapse Freudian Slip

On 12-20-07, on the Synapse thread (http://forums.tombihn.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=26), Tom said: "It's quite a bit too small for a vertical Freudian Slip, and since it's supposed to be more of a hiking/travel/everyday pack rather than a computery/techy pack, it probably won't get its own Freudian Slip. Though we will have to see how people use it!"

The Synapse is my everyday bag, and I need a way to carry paper in it neatly. The usual accumulation—printouts, mail, catalogues, magazines, newspaper clippings, receipts, notebooks, unpaid bills . . .

When I carried the Smart Alec, this paper clutter went into the Vertical Freudian Slip, directly or in file folders. I loved being able to put something in or take something out without removing the FS, or even a file folder. I need a version of it for the Synapse.

Because the Synapse is shorter and narrower than the Smart Alec, and is not meant to be a "computery/techy pack," I suggest eliminating the miscellaneous pockets on the reverse side (which would eat into the Synapse's interior space) and making both sides capable of holding file folders.

Thoughts?
Working...
X