Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,530   Posts: 187,827   Members: 6,493   Active Members: 292
Welcome to our newest member, dcaisson.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synapse Freudian Slip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backpack
    replied
    I am all for it!

In the meantime, using the Large Pouches with a rigid plastic folder even the cardboard backing of a notepad or notebook would make the the Large Pouch stiff enough to keep the papers together.

On a recent trip, I brought two of those in addition to my Freudian Slip inside my Brain Bag.

The Large Pouches fit the Large Cafe Bag with no problem so I would think they fit the Synapse.

Leave a comment:

• rabergnc
    replied
    I have tried a number of alternatives to a Freudian slip with the Synapse and none have been really satisfactory. I am using the Synapse as a daily bag to carry my Macbook and other work related things. I have traveled a fair amount by air with the bag carrying a Macbook, varied cables, power brick and adapters. Unless I need to carry a godawful lot of stuff, the Synapse fills the bill. I also bring a number of folders/papers. An appropriately sized Freudian-slip like item with sufficient support to keep papers neat would really useful. I know y'all had not planned on doing a Freudian slip for the Synapse but something along those lines that is not a kludge would be nice. Just a thought....

Leave a comment:

• gmich
    replied
    Great. Thanks again for the information.

Leave a comment:

• gmanedit
    replied
    Should think so. The Cache page says, 'Size Netbook: 10.9" 7.6" 1.0".' I measure 2.75 inches from the base of the pouch to the front of the floor of the Synapse. Should be plenty of room.

Leave a comment:

• gmich
    replied
    Is there room in front or behind it for a netbook in a Cache?

Leave a comment:

• gmanedit
    replied
    You're welcome.

About 6.5 ounces.

It's pretty neat. I have a folder in there, along with a notebook, a calendar/address book, and a personal bag (checkbook, mirror, etc.). Because it's not rigid (though structured enough to stand up by itself), you could make it work with whatever you're carrying.
    Last edited by gmanedit; 01-26-2010, 02:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gmich
    replied
    Wow, gmanedit, thanks for calling to get that info. I still like your original idea of a smaller Freudian slip, but this looks like a good alternative in the meantime. How heavy is it?

Leave a comment:

• gmanedit
    replied
    As of today, I don't see it listed at http://www.muji.us. I bought it at Muji Chelsea, 16 West 19th Street (between Fifth and Sixth Avenues) in New York City; 212 414-9024. Would they ship it from that store? No idea; might be worth a phone call. The item number is: 4548718419968. It's $28.75, before tax.

It seems to be offered online in the U.K. at http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?...ub=77&PID=4106, where it's called a cabin pouch. (I think it's the same one; no size specs available.)

Update: I called the store. Yes, they will ship directly from there.
    Last edited by gmanedit; 01-26-2010, 12:33 PM. Reason: Added update.

Leave a comment:

• gmich
    replied
    Looks cool. Is it available in the U.S.? Online?

Leave a comment:

• gmanedit
    replied
    No—it sits right in the bottom of the bag. It just fits. You should have seen me in the store, emptying the Synapse, putting in the pouch, and repacking. (A salesperson came over to ask if he could help, checking that my intentions were honorable.)

The hanging hook makes me think it's a toiletries bag. It was in the section with stuff sacks, sleep masks, and slippers.

P.S. I stand the file folders with vertical orientation. The pouch keeps papers from falling out at the bottom.
    Last edited by gmanedit; 01-26-2010, 09:50 AM. Reason: Added P.S.

Leave a comment:

• bltkmt
    replied
    Thanks for the information. Regarding this pouch, I assume you have to turn it on its side to fit into the Synapse? Thus the pouch contents would fall out? Curious...

Leave a comment:

• gmanedit
    replied
    Update: Back at the Muji store today (buying notebooks), I found this: http://www.muji.net/store/cmdty/detail/4548718419968. It's a nylon "portable pouch," with two flat pockets on one side and a zippered pocket on the other, plus some more stuff (a zippered inside pocket; a flap with a hanging hook and a zippered mesh pocket; a removable plastic sleeve; an open end pocket and two end pen slots).

I don't care about the pockets—the good news is the pouch fits in both the Synapse and the Large Cafe Bag. The dimensions are roughly 12 x 7.25 x 2.5: big enough to hold my indispensable poly file folders.

(Cross-posted in the Wanted: Cafe Bag Organizer Inserts thread.)

Leave a comment:

• gmanedit
    replied
    Interim solution: I picked up a cheap, lightweight ripstop shopping tote at Muji and put it up against the back wall of the Synapse, then pulled the handles through the o-rings. Presto! A file folder and other items holder.

Leave a comment:

• MtnMan
    replied
    This is an issue that has been near and dear to my heart almost ever since I first visited the Tom Bihn web-site some months ago. In fact, I suggested a "Freudian Folio" in another thread.

Unlike many backpackers, I have little desire to carry my 15-inch MacBook Pro in a backpack. That's what I have a SuperEgo briefcase for. I use a backpack for much smaller (and less expensive) day-use items, like my checkbook, digital camera, walkie talkies, and papers. I seldom have a desire to take my laptop to a project site or to carry it on a hike, or to take it shopping with me. One thing I would like to have is a way to carry papers/tablet and pens, calculator, etc. with me in my backpack. Up to this point, the Synapse has not been a serious contender for me because (1: the Freduian Slips, both versions, will not fit, and (2: Bihn does not offer a padfolio paper/tablet vessel like the one I describe in my "Freudian Folio" thread mentioned above. Until someone offers something like either of those devices, a backpack like the Synapse would be at a disadvantage in meeting my needs.

The way I'm looking at it now, the Smart Alec is only $10 more than the Synapse, offers more storage space, and fits a full-size Vertical Freudian Slip. I could even put by a Vertical Brain Cell for it if I wanted to. It would be very nice, though, if a padfolio and/or "mini slip" could be designed and offered for backpacks and shoulder bags the size of the Synapse, Imago, Ristretto, and Large Cafe. The funny thing is, if Bihn offered both a new padfolio and a mini-slip, they would likely be ideal for my needs. I might even want another padfolio for my SuperEgo.

Leave a comment:

• gmanedit
    replied
    If TB staff should read this: I think this concept could work in Dyneema. Suspended from the o-rings, it wouldn't need stiffening to hold it in place.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X