Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,276   Posts: 197,764   Members: 7,230   Active Members: 173
Welcome to our newest member, FrodoBaggin.

New video by Tom's brother Dan: Seattle Factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darcy
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here)
    • May 2003

New video by Tom's brother Dan: Seattle Factory

Watch on YouTube.

Or, watch the high-resolution version sized for the iPad.
    Attached Files
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.
  • maverick
    Volunteer *********
    • Mar 2004

absolutely fantastic!
    -m

Comment

• maverick
      Volunteer *********
      • Mar 2004

hey! there's a new bag in that video! very sneaky, Darcy! ;-)
      Last edited by maverick; 04-06-2010, 09:17 AM.
      -m

Comment

• crpeck
        Forum Member
        • Dec 2009

I liked the shipping label - Jason Bourne, Paris

Comment

• Darcy
          TOM BIHN Crew (we work here)
          • May 2003

Originally posted by crpeck View Post
          I liked the shipping label - Jason Bourne, Paris
          I love that you noticed that so quickly! The phone number is his Swiss Bank account number.
          Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

• Just
            Volunteer *********
            • Mar 2006

I love the video! Makes me smile. Great job, Dan!

Comment

• ex machina
              Forum Member
              • Dec 2008

This is a delightful treat.
              Thank you for sharing this peek into the engine of happiness which makes and sends us smiles sewn in America.
              Bags: Latest: Pop Tote and Shop Bag (large) ; also have a Co-Pilot, Super Ego (w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut; Medium Cafe Bag; Large Cafe Bag; Brain Cell; Shop Bag small, (Steel); Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. Accessories: Oh yeah, bunches.
              Sadly Lost to Hazmat: An Imago in Steel/Cork & MCB in Linen/Olive.
              " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Comment

• moriond
                Volunteer Moderator
                • Jul 2004

Loved the video -- especially the look at the bag assembly details and all the other folks who work on assembling them. So that's what the bolts of material look like when they're laid out for cutting. Also like the size of the UPS van parked to haul away all the shipments. Doesn't it make you happy to think of all the people who are waitng for these bags? Great job, Dan.

Comment

• ex machina
                  Forum Member
                  • Dec 2008

I recently viewed the movie, Schmatta: Rags to Riches to Rags, which was a very good look at the death spiral of American garment manufacturing. What was once the largest employing industry in NYC, with over 700,000 jobs has pretty much disappeared.

Dan's film show's that not all manufacturing has left the country. To watch tradespeople work their skilled craft, having fun in an excellent atmosphere, is very nice. I found it quite enjoyable to see where my bags and accessories are made and put some faces to the products that are my pleasure to own. I have no guilt in owning Tom Bihn gear, indeed I take pride that my TB purchases are products of a fine, healthy work environment. No children were exploited in the making of my TB gear. Go Tom Bihn!
                  Bags: Latest: Pop Tote and Shop Bag (large) ; also have a Co-Pilot, Super Ego (w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut; Medium Cafe Bag; Large Cafe Bag; Brain Cell; Shop Bag small, (Steel); Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. Accessories: Oh yeah, bunches.
                  Sadly Lost to Hazmat: An Imago in Steel/Cork & MCB in Linen/Olive.
                  " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Comment

• gmanedit
                    Forum Member
                    • Mar 2008

Great video. I loved the unrolling of the fabric.

ex, there's actually a lot of manufacturing going on in the U.S.; productivity is high. The problem is automation—high productivity with little human labor. It's not just outsourcing.

Around 1950, Norbert Weiner said: "Let us remember that the automatic machine . . . is the precise economic equivalent of slave labor. Any labor which competes with slave labor must accept the economic conditions of slave labor. It is perfectly clear that this will produce an unemployment situation, in comparison with which the present recession and even the depression of the thirties will seem a pleasant joke."

Comment

• Nana8
                      Forum Member
                      • Jul 2008

Great video! What I like most is that everyone seems very happy! That elevator sort of gives me the creepies, tho.

Great job, Dan! Thank you!!
                      Ego in Black, Steel, Wasabi, Empire Builder in Black, Black, Sapphire (Husband), 2 Brain Cells (Black), 2 Medium Cafe Bags - 1 in Black, Wasabi & 1 in Navy, Cayenne, 2 Large Cafe bags w/Absolute Straps - 1 in Linen, Olive and 1 in Cocoa, Wasabi, Guardian Dual Function Light & Lots of pouches!

Comment

• lauragayle
                        Forum Member
                        • Apr 2009

love it!

Love the video *and* the music!

My mom worked in a garment factory for a while, as did many of the women (and a few men) in my hometown in Virginia. BTW, my hometown had 3 major woodworking factories (including Lane Furniture), 2 - 3 major sewing factories, DuPont, and the Bassett and Stanley furniture factories were just down the road. There was a real pride in what products were produced from my hometown. Sadly, most of those jobs are no longer there.

So I especially loved seeing the faces and hands of the folks who make my beloved TB bags and pouches. THANKS!
                        Laura Gayle

Cadet (black/Iberian), travel tray, cache for Mac keyboard and 13" MBP, Ego, Aeronaut (steel/solar), Tri-star (steel/solar), 2 Absolute straps, 3D clear organizer cube, Swift, Ristretto (black/olive), stuff sacks (all sizes), snake charmer, 2 Kits, various organizer pouches, clear organizer wallet, 2 large Shop Bags... and a partridge in a pear tree.

Comment

Working...
                        X