Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,525   Posts: 187,784   Members: 6,486   Active Members: 307
Welcome to our newest member, ozzyrussell.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Field Journal Notebook To Debut 09/28

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Me too!

    Originally posted by ratdeau View Post
    I want to buy the Field Journal Notebook, as it is with the binder/ring mechanism BUT I plan to attach an other binder/ring mechanism on the base plate.
    If I had an other base plate, without the metallic part, I could create a second binding system without destructing the original one. Then I could swap them if needed.

    Sorry for my english, my mother tongue is french.

    I would like to second the request that the naked plate be made available.

    Tolovana

    Too many Tom Bihn Bags to list here. Currently packing an original
    Large Cafe Bag in Black and Red Plaid with assorted accessories.

    Comment


      I just pre ordered it, but if there was an A5 version, I would buy 2 more since they would replace my and my Better Half's Filofax A5 organizer. I also like the idea of an interchangeable ring binder insert. It would make the notebook way more flexible for any occasion...

      Comment


        I want an A5 insert too. Please

        Comment


          I must admit that I'm a bit glad they didn't make an A5 sized FJN. The problem is that when you make something A5 you're in danger of just duplicating the millions of A5 binders that already exist. Most A5 binders have just two punched holes towards the centre that are pretty unpleasant to use. The pages flop out too easily and the holes get torn. If you improve on this, as they have done with the FJN you're in no better position as the majority of A5 papers won't fit without a specific punch. Overall it's easier to go for a size and hole format that already exists; I like the way the paper is slightly narrower but taller than A5. Ultimately I think A5 is just a commodity notebook and getting something artisan made is all about being different to that.

          When I first saw the FJN it looked bigger than I imagined but now I have some of the papers from Day-Timer which fit the FJN I can see the size makes sense. I think they've chosen a perfect size.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Darcy View Post
            We are going to offer a new type of Organizer Pouch soon: Dyneema! You will get to choose Steel, Solar, or Iberian in sizes Mini, Small, Medium, and Large. These should be available within a month or so.
            As I have a few clear organizer pouches in Dyneema already, are you saying these will be completely Dyneema (like the cordura ones are completely cordura)? If so...GREAT!
            --------------------------------

            Comment


              Originally posted by KevinHall View Post
              I must admit that I'm a bit glad they didn't make an A5 sized FJN. The problem is that when you make something A5 you're in danger of just duplicating the millions of A5 binders that already exist. Most A5 binders have just two punched holes towards the centre that are pretty unpleasant to use. The pages flop out too easily and the holes get torn. If you improve on this, as they have done with the FJN you're in no better position as the majority of A5 papers won't fit without a specific punch. Overall it's easier to go for a size and hole format that already exists; I like the way the paper is slightly narrower but taller than A5. Ultimately I think A5 is just a commodity notebook and getting something artisan made is all about being different to that.

              When I first saw the FJN it looked bigger than I imagined but now I have some of the papers from Day-Timer which fit the FJN I can see the size makes sense. I think they've chosen a perfect size.
              Unfortunately, in Europe, the 3 holes binding system is quite unknown, as the paper size. I really intend to add some home printed sheets in my FJN. A5 is easier to find and I woul use a Circa binding system wich I like wery much.

              Comment


                TOM BIHN bags that fit the Field Journal Notebook include the: <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0103">Smart Alec</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0104">Brain Bag</a>,<a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0950">Western Flyer</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB1701">Checkpoint Flyer</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0730">Empire Builder</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0720">Zephyr</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0810">Imago</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0906">Aeronaut</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0110">Synapse</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0203">Large Cafe Bag</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0202">Medium Cafe Bag</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0825">Super Ego</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0830">Ego</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0805">ID</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0967">Co-Pilot</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0940">Tri-Star</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/KNIT/TB0660">Swift</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/KNIT/TB0660-CRK">Swift in Cork</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/KNIT/TB0608">Shop Bag</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0152">Buzz</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/500/TB0925">Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut)</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/500/TB0924">Packing Cube Backpack (Tri-Star/Western Flyer)</a> and <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0662">Little Swift</a>.
                Last edited by Darcy; 10-08-2010, 09:34 AM.
                Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

                Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Darcy View Post
                  TOM BIHN bags that fit the Field Journal Notebook include the: <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0103">Smart Alec</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0104">Brain Bag</a>,
                  <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0950">Western Flyer</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB1701">Checkpoint Flyer</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0730">Empire Builder</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0720">Zephyr</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0810">Imago</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0906">Aeronaut</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0110">Synapse</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0203">Large Cafe Bag</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0202">Medium Cafe Bag</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0825">Super Ego</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0830">Ego</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0805">ID</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0967">Co-Pilot</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0940">Tri-Star</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/KNIT/TB0660">Swift</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/KNIT/TB0660-CRK">Swift in Cork</a>, <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/KNIT/TB0608">Shop Bag</a>, and <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0662">Little Swift</a>.
                  an aeronaut will fit inside the field journal notebook? now this is a video i want to see!

                  sorry - i'm in one of those silly moods!

                  okay, on a slightly less silly note - the field journal notebook will also fit inside the utility tote, shop bag, packing cube backpack for the tri-star/western flyer, and packing cube backpack for the aeronaut.

                  it should fit into the main compartment of the buzz?
                  how about in a ristretto that is otherwise not too full?
                  -m

                  Comment


                    Yet another reason for me to get a Little Swift! :-)

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by maverick View Post
                      how about in a ristretto that is otherwise not too full?
                      The FJN won't fit in the Ristretto: sorry! Just a little bit too small...
                      Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

                      Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

                      Comment


                        I'm thinking of making one a sort of office-in-a-bag, and adding envelopes, stamps, mini-stapler, etc. I think I could fit in my checkbook-sized calender, too. And of course my checkbook!

                        A red one would be perfect for an emergency notebook - add in all information for doctors, insurance, family members, emergency contacts, emergency cash, copies of important documents (passports, marriage license), maybe a bank deposit key, etc. Basically anything you'd want to grab and run out the door with in case of an emergency.

                        Well, it looks like I'll be getting two!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X