Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,580   Posts: 188,312   Members: 6,539   Active Members: 284
Welcome to our newest member, tam017.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paragon - Is Halcyon Better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For what it is worth, I sort of answered my own question, by watching video reviews of both the Halcyon and Ballistic versions, and also looking at the TB pictures. It seems pretty clear the Halcyon version is thinner, floppier and more forgiving, i.e., has more give, while the ballistic is thicker, stiffer and less stretchy. This should not come as any surprise since it is the same answer that one gets for the Aeronauts. The halcyon seems a little easier to deal with for this particular bag design. I don't think I would miss the extra structure of the ballistic in this particular bag. On the other hand, I don't really like any of the current or in production color combos for Halcyon versions of the Paragon, and I do like the look of the GE edition. I also don't want to risk losing the GE edition while I wait for Taiga to come back in stock (for a look see). Guess I'm going to give the GE another try, this time in Ursa.

Comment

Originally posted by k_p View Post

What do you think of this colour combo in real life? I've ordered the same one but asked for my order to be held until the Shop Bags ship, and I keep going back and forth on it. I think I'll like it, but the Wilderness and Ursa are also lovely.
      Originally posted by G42 View Post

Ohhhh, Taiga is just lovely and not (to me) puke green at all!!!! Some folks have used 'lichen' to describe it and I think that's a good word...it's a moody greenish with hints of brown - think cool (temperate) forests with hanging lichen or moss... the colour is warm
      I have to say that I was not a fan of either Taiga based on the small 2" square or so swatches, but in the full size bags, I love it.

The Paragon and the Shadow Guides are both good dump & run type Shop-Bag-in-backpack-mode to me - the Paragon is more of a flat rectangle and the SG more of a 3D column of space.
      I agree with G42 that Taiga looks better IRL on larger bags than from the sample swatches. Having now seen both 200d and 400d Taiga Halcyon in person, I like 200d Taiga a lot more than I expected, and 400d Taiga more than I expected.

Originally posted by k_p View Post

This helps! Neutral colours can look so different depending on the screen you're using that I was having a hard time describing it. I also really like the Taiga, but for me the grids on the halcyons are too busy as an exterior fabric. Thanks for your response!
      Originally posted by cinderblock View Post
      I share your sentiment about the rain flaps sometimes hindering the ease of use of the zippers. But I did find that once I attached a paracord knot zipper pull, it helped a bit, as the angle of the pull isn’t as restrictive anymore. I have the halcyon version, so I don’t know how it compares to the ballistic, but I did find the Taiga to have a lot more sheen than I had expected it to (and slightly more than I would have liked).
      Part of the reason that I like the 200d Halcyon Taiga more is that the white grid background and the lack of sheen really does serve to make this work as a good, neutral color bag, and lichen is probably a good description of the color tone. In a Side Effect or Everyday Cubelet, it has this understated tone. If you’re familiar with the now-retired (new or dark-grid) Nordic 400d Halcyon, you know that the same sheen to the fabric can be seen for that material. However, the dark grid blends in more easily with Nordic than it does with Taiga, so the net result is that it’s more noticeable in a bag with a rectangular design. In the Synapse, with its curves, the 400d Halcyon Taiga will look less noticeable. It will also look less noticeable in the Daylight Backpack, which I got in 400d Taiga. The rectangular outer shape of the Design Lab Paragon will emphasize the dark grid more than in the Daylight Backpack or in the Synapse, although much less than with the Original Halcyon.

Originally posted by G42 View Post

FWIW, the grid on the Taiga 400 is more subtle than the 400 Original (the white grid black) but more obvious than the 400 Black
      See my last sentence that agrees with this comment. You can compare the photos that have already been uploaded to the forums to compare impressions of both of these bags. I’d also add that under daylight illumination, you’ll probably notice the sheen less.

@RDR3's picture of Taiga Paragon from 04-09-2021 in her post

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=330779.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	331328
      @dmoneysong's picture of the Daylight Backpack in 400d Taiga Halcyon, which just followed the post by RDR3
      Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?photoid=330782.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	331329

I’ll end up referencing a YouTube video that reviews the Paragon in 400d Halcyon. This was referenced by the original poster of this thread, ayazgood, in a different thread titled Paragon Review Up on Youtube but I'm including it here so that you can view it together with the images

I will say that the impression of how much more subtle the 200d Halcyon Taiga appears in real life compared to the 400d Halcyon Taiga also is difficult to see in the video. In real life, the 200d Taiga with a white grid appears much more understated compared to the 400d Halcyon Taiga. Just my thoughts here.

moriond
      Last edited by moriond; 04-22-2021, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I also like the muted grid halcyon colors much better than the dark grid halcyon colors (grey on black, white on Taiga), probably because I don't like seeing all those straight grid lines in any case. Any version of halcyon that makes the grid pattern more muted and less noticeable is better for me. I think I like the Taiga color; but not the dark grid lines on it. The white lined Taiga seems more pleasant and subtle. Less sheen is also good, so I think I've been talked out of the Taiga for now.

Comment

Originally posted by ayazgood View Post
          I also like the muted grid halcyon colors much better than the dark grid halcyon colors (grey on black, white on Taiga), probably because I don't like seeing all those straight grid lines in any case. Any version of halcyon that makes the grid pattern more muted and less noticeable is better for me. I think I like the Taiga color; but not the dark grid lines on it. The white lined Taiga seems more pleasant and subtle. Less sheen is also good, so I think I've been talked out of the Taiga for now.
          Remember that if you're using the 400d Taiga in daylight that the effect of the sheen will be reduced. You can see the photos that they've taken for the blog and for the product page of people wearing the Synapse and the Synik in 400d Halcyon Taiga under outdoor lighting shows this off. I've tried to summarize my opinions based on what I've seen. I did get a 400d Taiga Halcyon Daylight Backpack. I haven't posted new pictures, because for me the previously posted pictures that I included by RDR3 and dmoneysong are pretty representative, and it's not my intention to specifically talk you out of the 400d Halcyon Taiga.

I personally like Original Halcyon, and for some bags I wouldn't have guessed that I find this works beforehand -- like in bags like the Western Flyer (back story is that I traded with someone who really wanted my specific color combination of Imago for a Western Flyer in Original Nordic). I really like this but it's hard to describe the way that original Nordic looks, and I think it also works for the Original Halcyon because of the way the piping, etc. is placed. So it isn't just because of the rectangular shape. If you're close on your being undecided on 400d Taiga in the Paragon, it still might be worth taking a look in person if you have the opportunity, because these decisions are so individual. My guess for myself is that if I wanted to get the Paragon in 400d Halcyon, that having a combination like 400d Black Halcyon with a 200d Taiga lining would sell it to me more than the 400d Halcyon Taiga/Taiga in the Design Lab Edition, but that's just me.

And I do happen to like the Coyote accents of the Guide's Edition Paragon, and think that either 525d Ursa or Wilderness would look really good together.

HTH

moriond

ETA: Thank you for locating and posting all those other relevant resources and videos to help other forum members come to a decision about 400d Taiga Halcyon.
          Last edited by moriond; 04-22-2021, 11:33 PM.

Comment

As a followup, I tried both the Ursa and Wilderness GE versions of the Paragon and kept the Wilderness. I guess because of the plain lines of this design, I like it much better with a brighter color. The pattern of the original halcyon or black halcyon might also work for making it more visually interesting. My ideal halcyon combo would be black and acuity.

Comment

Does anyone happen to know/remember the lining offerings of the Paragon in black halcyon when it first came out? I returned my ballistic paragon as I think I'll be happier with the less structured halcyon fabric, but am not a huge fan of the NW sky lining that's on offer next week. Trying to figure out if I should be looking for a unicorn, or suck it up and get what's available.

Comment

Working...
              X