Grey with a hint of beige

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grey with a hint of beige

Ok, its been a while since Ive been on the forums, I used my cubelet? As my EDC, but noticed that it had a beige type of shade to it. I stopped using it, but decided to hand wash it yesterday, and very carefully. Nikwaxed it, but it still looks the same. I thought it was dirty, but it can’t be. So I’m now thinking, does it have a beige light to it, in err certain lights.
    Perhaps I was too gentle washing it with a bit of Dr Bronners in hand hot water, rinsed well and now Ive run out of nikwax.
    Help please?. I’m just a little disappointed. That Ive gone thru washing/reproofing it, just possibly do it all again.
    Unless its meant to have this ‘hint of beige’..(I will attach a piccy, once I work out how to do it).
    Thanks
    Jaffa
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

The photo isn’t very good, as it just looks dirty, but its clean with a hint of beige. As opposed to a crisp grey
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

Comment

Huh. It does look darker than other pics of NWSky. Does it look uniformly beige or only in spots? Has it been stored anywhere weird? Do you have any other NWSky to compare? I suppose the easiest thing to do would be to email TB [email protected] and either ask them for advice or ask for a swatch of NWSky so you can be absolutely certain. They’ll send a swatch for free. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaffa View Post
        So I’m now thinking, does it have a beige light to it, in err certain lights.
        I think you're right - NWS has beige tints in certain light!

I never noticed it before, but I went and looked at the biggest slice of NWS I have in natural light (cloudy skies) and from certain angles it shows up beige; to my eye, the effect is greater in photos than in person, but it's definitely there:

Click image for larger version

Name:	NWSlength.png
Views:	235
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	331577

Name:	NWStopDown.png
Views:	217
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	331578

Comment

I just realized I have two new bags (just arrived, never used at least by me), both with NWS interiors, and the effect is less noticeable - either that's a fabric difference or a usage difference ... it could be as coating ages / gets used it develops that beige tint as my pic in the above post are from a VERY well used bag.

Here are my new bags:

Click image for larger version  Name:	CWF-NWS.png Views:	0 Size:	2.05 MB ID:	331581

Click image for larger version  Name:	CWF-NWS1.png Views:	0 Size:	2.21 MB ID:	331582

Click image for larger version  Name:	VTS-NWS.png Views:	0 Size:	2.24 MB ID:	331583

You can see the effect is still there, albeit much less to my eye ... although in both cases it's very subtle for me ...

Anyway, HTH!

Note: these are cell phone pics (thus the tint/color variation) ... I might try it tomorrow with the DSLR just for fun
          Last edited by GrussGott; 04-30-2021, 06:53 PM.

Comment

At the risk of overposting (too late!), I also have some new Acuity halcyon and noticed it also has the beige tint to my eye so I think this is simply a reflective artifact of the coating:

Name:	SN30-Acuity.png
Views:	221
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	331588

Comment

Thanks for the replies and photos, I think it must be the way the light hits the fabric...
              To my eye, it seems to be on my bag that its more noticeable on the large flat front and back. As opposed to the narrow top, bottom and sides.
              I never noticed it when it was new, and its had an easy life, but I think next time I wash it, I will soak it for 30 mins (which I think it the recommended time)
              Jaffa

Comment

Originally posted by Jaffa View Post
                Thanks for the replies and photos, I think it must be the way the light hits the fabric...
                To my eye, it seems to be on my bag that its more noticeable on the large flat front and back. As opposed to the narrow top, bottom and sides.
                I never noticed it when it was new, and its had an easy life, but I think next time I wash it, I will soak it for 30 mins (which I think it the recommended time)
                Jaffa
                Another thing to consider... many of the fabrics are semi-translucent... so whatever is inside the bag and/or whatever the inside lining is WILL affect your visual perception of the colour. I'm not saying that it is happening here, as I can't really see what you're seeing, based on the images on my laptop - it's just another variable to take into account.

For example, I just received a Canary/Dawn SCB to evaluate and while the Canary is just a super happy amazing bright true clear yellow (adjectives, anyone?), it is a tad visually 'muddied' in my eyes, in this application, because the fabric is not 100% opaque and the darker Dawn interior impacts my perception of the colour vs the Canary fabric swatch sitting on white paper next to it.

Not necessarily applicable to this thread, but of colour perception in general - I'll reiterate that the size/shape/aspect ratio/trim all play a part in colour perception as well.
                I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Thats a good thought - thank you, on 1 side of my Cubelet, its lined with purple and the other side is just the NWS fabric...however, Im thinking its either just the way the fabric catching the light, or I should have soaked it longer. I do remember when I got it new, it seemed a very crisp light grey colour..Im frightened of washing it too much as to affect the natural waterproof qualities (when it left the factory).

Comment

Working...
                  X