Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,492   Posts: 187,432   Members: 6,453   Active Members: 342
Welcome to our newest member, parisbandarq.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Techonaut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Techonaut

Darcy

This little gem of a new product came up a few hours ago on a FB chat where someone was asking about the Trinity progress.

The Tom Bihn crew dropped the name (explaining that it was the working name) and said that Nik was working on the design and was pretty much near to done.

Well. That’s set the cat amongst the pigeons! And my mind races.
    The name suggests something possibly in the Aeronaut family but with a possibly more defined and structured load out (I’m thinking laptop/tablet compartment, some more internal pockets in the existing structure and maybe an integrated back panel instead of an add on).
    Refining/modifying an existing design would make sense to me in terms of releasing the Techonaut (love the family of names, perhaps the gym bag will be called Gymonaut? 😉)before the Trinity.
    The crew said that there would be details soon and I get that. I thought I’d make a place holder here so if there is any more info that’s able to be shared, we can all revel in the fun of a new product.
    Last edited by jobeyonekenobi; 05-19-2021, 02:38 AM.

Originally posted by jobeyonekenobi View Post
    This little gem of a new product came up a few hours ago on a FB chat where someone was asking about the Trinity progress.
    Much appreciated to import the FB discussion over to this official forum - some of us don't use FB, so it's very helpful!
    Last edited by GrussGott; 05-19-2021, 09:21 PM.
    Seeking Verde Aeronauts

Comment

One of the team confirmed that it was Aeronaut based with elements of the Hero’s Journey for the main compartment..

Comment

Darcy

The Tom Bihn crew dropped the name (explaining that it was the working name) and said that Nik was working on the design and was pretty much near to done.

Well. That’s set the cat amongst the pigeons! And my mind races.
        The name suggests something possibly in the Aeronaut family but with a possibly more defined and structured load out (I’m thinking laptop/tablet compartment, some more internal pockets in the existing structure and maybe an integrated back panel instead of an add on).
        Refining/modifying an existing design would make sense to me in terms of releasing the Techonaut (love the family of names, perhaps the gym bag will be called Gymonaut? 😉)before the Trinity.
        The crew said that there would be details soon and I get that. I thought I’d make a place holder here so if there is any more info that’s able to be shared, we can all revel in the fun of a new product.
        One of the team confirmed that it was Aeronaut based with elements of the Hero’s Journey for the main compartment..
        I'll see if I can get a few photos of Nik sewing his Techonautt prototypes this week!

Love the Gymonaut idea. We've still got to name the one (or two?! Tom has already designed a second version!) small adult backpack designs that we plan to release in the next few months. Maybe those can be -nauts too.
        Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post

Love the Gymonaut idea. We've still got to name the one (or two?! Tom has already designed a second version!) small adult backpack designs that we plan to release in the next few months. Maybe those can be -nauts too.
          Hey Darcy, is there any more information you can provide RE: the small backpacks? I’m primarily asking to find out if it will be similar to the L15 as I am hoping to place an order on 05.26 when the L15s are available.
          Burnt Orange is love, Burnt Orange is life
          S22, Co-Pilot

Comment

Oh my!! I don’t spend a lot of time on FB so this is very exciting news to me. I love the Aeronaut, I love the Hero’s Journey. My TB anticipation system is activated!

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbond View Post

Hey Darcy, is there any more information you can provide RE: the small backpacks? I’m primarily asking to find out if it will be similar to the L15 as I am hoping to place an order on 05.26 when the L15s are available.
              They're much, much smaller than the Luminary 15 and based off of two TOM BIHN vintage designs from the 80's / 90's; can be worn higher on the back, but are designed so that folks can wear them slung low, as sometimes happens with small adult backpacks. Hope that helps a bit.

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

small adult backpack designs that we plan to release in the next few months
                Darcy Few months? Does that mean the June date quoted earlier has moved out to July/August/September?
                Last edited by sturbridge; 05-20-2021, 02:27 PM.
                Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is a PickUp Truck and Everyday Cubelet. Love all my shop bags, ghost whales, cubelets. Hoping to travel again soon to use my A30 and co-pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by sturbridge View Post

Darcy Few months? Does that mean the June date quoted earlier has moved out to July/August/September?
                  Nothing is set in stone quite yet: as various new designs are completed and begin the PPB process, which debut first may shift. So, instead of sharing a specific month or date, I'll say "estimated to be within the next few months or so."

Comment

Thanks for that, that helps. I had thought, perhaps misread, that the small adult backpack was done from the design process a while back and that its release was imminent. I'm sure it will be worth the wait, as always.
                    Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is a PickUp Truck and Everyday Cubelet. Love all my shop bags, ghost whales, cubelets. Hoping to travel again soon to use my A30 and co-pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by sturbridge View Post
                      Thanks for that, that helps. I had thought, perhaps misread, that the small adult backpack was done from the design process a while back and that its release was imminent. I'm sure it will be worth the wait, as always.
                      The design has been completed, but now it's currently in the PPB (pre-production batch) process. And, in the meantime, Tom has just about completed a second small adult backpack design. We're thinking of offering both for pre-order at the same time... small backpack showdown!

Comment

Working...
                      X