Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,893   Posts: 192,277   Members: 6,769   Active Members: 317
Welcome to our newest member, invictus.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion of New Colors, New Designs

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hedd
    replied
    Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
    There are a few reasons why I like Tom Bihn bags and have been a devoted follower for so long:
    (1) Quality
    (2) That they are made in the U.S. and buying supports a small business and local workers.
    (3) Their innovation and creativity, as new designs are created
    (4) The great community that's sprung up around them
    (5) The fun colors, particularly the interiors

Unfortunately, (5) seems to be disappearing as the Halcyon interiors are slowly receding; bags that used to be fully-lined are now half-lined, and in this case, a different material is being used for the main compartment. It actually does make a difference to me; the colors are an important factor for me and the reason I choose this brand over others.

Well, hoping that factors 1 through 4 remain!
    Agreed on all counts, and I'll add that I like interacting with companies that:

1) Are driven by the passion of a hands-on owner who is more interested in product than profit
    2) Doesn't try to optimize everything. Yes money needs to be made, but it doesn't need to be a race to the bottom. Everyone benefits in a non-optimal company except for investors.

Leave a comment:

• bchaplin
    replied
    There are a few reasons why I like Tom Bihn bags and have been a devoted follower for so long:
    (1) Quality
    (2) That they are made in the U.S. and buying supports a small business and local workers.
    (3) Their innovation and creativity, as new designs are created
    (4) The great community that's sprung up around them
    (5) The fun colors, particularly the interiors

Unfortunately, (5) seems to be disappearing as the Halcyon interiors are slowly receding; bags that used to be fully-lined are now half-lined, and in this case, a different material is being used for the main compartment. It actually does make a difference to me; the colors are an important factor for me and one of the reasons I choose this brand over others.

Well, hoping that factors 1 through 4 remain!
    Last edited by bchaplin; 08-28-2022, 09:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Aeon
    replied
    Originally posted by epeterson View Post
    Hmm. Maybe I'm confused, but I interpreted MikeV 's comment to mean that this panel in the Aeronaut has always been "single layer." That single layer used to be halcyon and now it's ballistic, for strength reasons.
    Yes, that's how I read Mike's comments as well.

However, the perceived quality of life improvements has diminished. The change to the Aeronauts will mean less wear and tear which is great in the long run but it comes at reduced interior visibility. It's a YMMV situation. You see this from time to time with people's perceptions of what makes a bag "premium." I don't open my bags just to see lining colors (granted, I only buy and vastly prefer low-contrast linings like NWS and Mountain Cerylon), but for a lot of ppl that is one of the reasons why they want/buy a bag to begin with. To have a huge portion of contrasting interior lining disappear, even if it's for structural reasons, is still a downgrade nonetheless. Even more so if they haven't ever had an issue with the original linings to begin with.

Leave a comment:

• epeterson
    replied
    Hmm. Maybe I'm confused, but I interpreted MikeV 's comment to mean that this panel in the Aeronaut has always been "single layer." That single layer used to be halcyon and now it's ballistic, for strength reasons.

Leave a comment:

• bijoux
    replied
    Originally posted by G42 View Post
    hedd there are quite a few TB bags that are single layer material (Yeoman, Truck family, etc)
    These bags are a lot cheaper than the Aeronaut, so I'd be OK with single layer.

The Aeronaut should have the halcyon lining all over

Premium products deserve premium finishing.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    hedd there are quite a few TB bags that are single layer material (Yeoman, Truck family, etc) or only have a secondary inner material when & where it's acting as a pocket or divider or some other structural element, like you noticed with the SE... it's how they design, but I get it's not as attractive an aesthetic to you.

Leave a comment:

• hedd
    replied
    Yeah, if you keep small loseable things in the side pockets or mesh, and colorful packing cubes in the dark abyss, then you are in good shape. I am not worried about the functionality and like the idea of a tougher fabric. Overall, I decided to get one.

On the negative side: In my limited experience with Tom Bihn products, the biggest joy comes from opening a bag and finding a neatly sewn swath of silky bright halcyon that is totally different from what is on the outside. You get a sense of uniqueness, quality, durability, and just fun compared to what other companies offer. Ballistic and Cerylon just don't don't get me to the same place. Also, just having a couple panels of halcyon strewn about doesn't come close to the experience of a fully lined bag. I was a little surprised when I opened the Side Effect for the first time, and found no lining on the back side. I get that it helps with cost, but looks half finished. I just don't want to see the waxy coating.

Leave a comment:

• epeterson
    replied
    As much as I too love the huge shot of halcyon, the reality is that it's covered with whatever you pack in there.
    We'll have to see in practice how dark it seems, but these are wide open bags so shouldn't be too bad.
    It will be interesting to hear what people think once they get bags in hand.
    The interior shots remind me of the Road Buddy. FWIW I took mine (Navy) on its first voyage last month and I didn't have any problems finding things in the interior.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    As much as I too love the huge shot of halcyon, the reality is that it's covered with whatever you pack in there.
    We'll have to see in practice how dark it seems, but these are wide open bags so shouldn't be too bad.
    It will be interesting to hear what people think once they get bags in hand.

Leave a comment:

• Jaffa
    replied
    Yeah - You can tell Im still interested, as Im thinking, if I could ‘get’ some similar material and hand sew it into the bottom of the bag..Not ideal for a £300+ bag, but heh, Im still in the thinking stage here…

Leave a comment:

• GrussGott
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeV View Post
    I wanted to get you all some photos showing the back panel of the Aeronauts- the buckle is actually even more discreet than on the Cambiata- no tucking needed, the buckle is attached to the bottom seam, behind that back panel of fabric.

Here is the back panel with the backpack straps tucked away:
    Thanks Mike, that works great for me!

Still pretty bummed about the interior though ... as I understand the change, it would mean if you got the black 1050D, then the interior of the main compartment will be black!

The funny thing is, it was TB that got me into the bright interior colors and so the thought of a dark interior lining seems like taking something away ... I do wish you could slap some halcyon in there

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Originally posted by bijoux View Post

Actually, no top trim, just zipper.
    I've attached a pic of my Aeronaut 30. It's definitely a completely smooth back.
    You're right, zipper, not trim!

Leave a comment:

• bijoux
    replied
    GrussGott bijoux There is also the trim at the top where the straps hide, just like before, so it's probably as smooth as it was before, .
    Actually, no top trim, just zipper.
    I've attached a pic of my Aeronaut 30. It's definitely a completely smooth back.
    Last edited by bijoux; 08-26-2022, 04:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaffa View Post
    Ive just clicked on the A30 page again, and its not loading pics, just has the video - Not sure if anyone has this problem. Im on an Ipad.
    Try refreshing or clearing cache because they all look there on Firefox and Chrome

Leave a comment:

• Jaffa
    replied

Ive just clicked on the A30 page again, and its not loading pics, just has the video - Not sure if anyone has this problem. Im on an Ipad.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X