Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,958   Posts: 193,173   Members: 6,835   Active Members: 287
Welcome to our newest member, snowl.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion of New Colors, New Designs

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by G42 View Post

    a disincentive for those (like me) who would maybe buy an additional one just for [many reasons].
    I'd agree ... I don't really need another WF or A30/45 but I'd definitely buy one purely to "upgrade" to the new design. With that, this change isn't desirable or an upgrade for me so I'll hold off ... bummer though, because I love adding new bags and have been waiting for this Aeronaut redesign.

    That said, if they make an A45 or WF in Nightwalk or some other cool Halcyon I'm totally in!

    Comment


      Originally posted by GrussGott View Post
      Just sayin my birthday was recent soooo ... you know ....
      Happy Birthday! ??
      I'm sure the WF combos listed are place holders and they'll update/add more closer to whenever the go live date is
      “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
      “Sir?”
      “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
      “Sir?”
      “That’s practically zen.”
      -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

      Comment


        Hello MikeV -- I noticed that the "in production" photos of the Techonaut in Night Walk show the Design Labs label instead of the regular label like the other Techonauts. Will the Night Walk Techonauts be getting the regular label (I hope!)?

        Comment


          Originally posted by John1970 View Post
          Hello MikeV -- I noticed that the "in production" photos of the Techonaut in Night Walk show the Design Labs label instead of the regular label like the other Techonauts. Will the Night Walk Techonauts be getting the regular label (I hope!)?
          Great question! Any Techonauts in production will have the airplane logo going forward (some Black options will have the black airplane). We haven't gotten the photo updated on that yet but are working on it!

          Comment


            There are two new Grab Bag combos In Production... have to say, I'm liking the Viridian/Mountain Grey one.

            Most of you know I'm a huge halcyon fan ( esp 400d!) but one Ballistic bag that I have & really like is a Side Kick in Cloud 525 Ballistic/Viridian 210 Ballistic. Greys with teals are such a complementary calming colour combo to me.
            “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
            “Sir?”
            “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
            “Sir?”
            “That’s practically zen.”
            -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

            Comment


              Hey MikeV is Mars Red gone gone or just gone for a bit?
              “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
              “Sir?”
              “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
              “Sir?”
              “That’s practically zen.”
              -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

              Comment


                Originally posted by G42 View Post
                There are two new Grab Bag combos In Production... have to say, I'm liking the Viridian/Mountain Grey one.

                Most of you know I'm a huge halcyon fan ( esp 400d!) but one Ballistic bag that I have & really like is a Side Kick in Cloud 525 Ballistic/Viridian 210 Ballistic. Greys with teals are such a complementary calming colour combo to me.
                This.

                I remember when the new 525 and 210 fabrics were introduced they went way out on a limb and made some bold color combinations available for a single production run and one time only.

                One of those items was a Cloud/Grass S19 and it’s another bag I regret selling because it was peak Tom Bihn color experimentation.

                I understand the bags have to remain fairly neutral and lean professional more often than casual, but for those bold enough to carry them, I really do appreciate the hell out of the times they haven’t been afraid to use bright colors.

                And yes, G42, I totally agree. I don’t really care for Steel or Nebulous but I do like Cloud, and it pairs really well with Viridian.

                And maybe it’s not that I don’t like certain colors, they just haven’t paired them up with a complementary color I’ve liked? Makes me wonder.
                I own a LOT of Tom Bihn bags, but here are the ones I'm using right now:
                Everyday Carry: Cambiata
                Hiking Daypack: ADX31

                Car and Plane Travel: CP, TS, and SZTSB

                Comment


                  That Cloud/Grass S19 was just mentioned on Ravelry and they graciously posted a photo when I requested it (as I couldn't recall having seen it.) It is indeed a lovely combo!
                  I tend to lean towards the darker greys generally, but the right combo with Cloud is very very nice.
                  “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
                  “Sir?”
                  “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
                  “Sir?”
                  “That’s practically zen.”
                  -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by G42 View Post
                    Hey MikeV is Mars Red gone gone or just gone for a bit?
                    I ended up emailing customer service this same question yesterday, as I was trying to decide between waiting for a S25 in Mars Red or trying it out in Night Walk. Here's what Kat wrote: "We also have run out of the Mars Red 525 fabric as we're currently transitioning to the almost identical 630 Ballistic. We won't be replacing Mars Red at this time, but it's possible we could see it or a new red 630 Ballistic in the future."



                    Comment


                      See where EDCs in production will be lined in Graphite Piscine. Ughh!!! Another gray interior fabric! Am already disappointed in so many bags lined with NW Sky. The color combos as much as the quality and functionality of Tom Bihn bags is why there are so many repeat customers. I certainly don’t need the many TB bags I own — they are so well made I’ll never wear them out. But it’s the fun color combinations that have me buying more — though sadly not so much anymore.

                      (I mistakenly first posted this in the Questions About Bags section but realized this is the better place for my comments.)

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by KCam View Post
                        See where EDCs in production will be lined in Graphite Piscine. Ughh!!! Another gray interior fabric! Am already disappointed in so many bags lined with NW Sky. The color combos as much as the quality and functionality of Tom Bihn bags is why there are so many repeat customers. I certainly don’t need the many TB bags I own — they are so well made I’ll never wear them out. But it’s the fun color combinations that have me buying more — though sadly not so much anymore.

                        (I mistakenly first posted this in the Questions About Bags section but realized this is the better place for my comments.)
                        Weren't they already lined with grey aether? Or are some of them lined with bright halcyon?

                        Comment


                          KCam - no worries, I deleted your other post just to not have a duplicate running around

                          John1970 the interior of the Everyday Cublet (originally called Travel Cubelet, which is why I use the E/TC abbreviation a lot) has had versions, but all have been with Aether to this point.

                          The first batches were Carbon Aether, the much darker charcoal grey, which I find attractive (especially in packing cubes) but a lot of folks thought was too dark for an interior. Then there were batches with Violet Aether which was a brighter colour but still very saturated & dark... both Carbon & Violet Aether were discontinued (though I, moriond and others have lobbied for a return)

                          NWSky Aether was introduced for the same reason it seems that NWSky Halcyon replaced 200d Steel Halcyon - it's a good neutral grey that goes with a lot of other colours and is lighter/brighter easier to see inside a bag (though I get that some folks are tired of the ubiquity).

                          There were some supply disruptions to Aether at one point so there were batches made with Island Aether interior - which is a great colour but again, very saturdated/dark for an interior... before they switched back to NWSky Aether.

                          I think the Graphite Piscine is what is on the inside of the Cambiata laptop pocket in which case it's (to me) a dark base colour but the pattern on it is shiny and picks up the light (which is why they named it after fish scales I'd guess).

                          MikeV is Aether going away overall or is this a part of the continuing saga of supply chain disruptions?
                          Last edited by G42; 10-05-2022, 10:38 PM. Reason: I live for typos
                          “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
                          “Sir?”
                          “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
                          “Sir?”
                          “That’s practically zen.”
                          -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

                          Comment


                            Exactly my point! I have EDCs lined with violet and island aether — one of them purchased just last year. But my comment also went beyond this particular bag as so many bags now are lined with gray materials. And now they’re introducing a new fabric and of all the colors they could choose it’s a dark gray. It may be a wonderful new option for many bags — it does have a unique look. My disappointment is the lack of interior lining options beyond gray in most bags now.

                            I’m happy to see NightWalk 400 Halcyon back for a final run but try to find a NightWalk bag lined with anything other than NW Sky. Very disappointing when TB has so many other complimentary options in Tidal, Fjord, Island, etc. Just my thoughts, of course — I just miss the lining color selections pre-2022!

                            Comment


                              Thank you, G42, for deleting my duplicate post!

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by KCam View Post
                                Exactly my point! I have EDCs lined with violet and island aether — one of them purchased just last year. But my comment also went beyond this particular bag as so many bags now are lined with gray materials. And now they’re introducing a new fabric and of all the colors they could choose it’s a dark gray. It may be a wonderful new option for many bags — it does have a unique look. My disappointment is the lack of interior lining options beyond gray in most bags now.

                                I’m happy to see NightWalk 400 Halcyon back for a final run but try to find a NightWalk bag lined with anything other than NW Sky. Very disappointing when TB has so many other complimentary options in Tidal, Fjord, Island, etc. Just my thoughts, of course — I just miss the lining color selections pre-2022!
                                Totally get it! If you like the happy colours it's a bit of a drag to keep seeing a lining that you don't prefer.

                                This blog post & other comments TB has made, indicate that Island & NWSky are the basics and the other interiors will ebb and flow over time. So partly what I think we're seeing is just that pacing... if batches are 12+ weeks or so and there's overlapping batches, restocks, and shipments of materials coming in and inventory depleting, I think that's some of what you're seeing.
                                If you zoom out in 3-6mo increments, there's a lot more variety.

                                https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/u...s-next?page=11

                                I'm looking forward to seeing what the new Halcyon and Cerylon colours are plus they said they got a replenishment of Solaris and that's definitely a bright colour!

                                I hope one of the new colours works for you!
                                Last edited by G42; 10-05-2022, 10:40 PM. Reason: typo typo typo yeesch
                                “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
                                “Sir?”
                                “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
                                “Sir?”
                                “That’s practically zen.”
                                -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X