Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,074   Posts: 195,081   Members: 6,987   Active Members: 211
Welcome to our newest member, lieslallai.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion of New Colors, New Designs

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ack! Sorry for the confusion on this! We did make some adjustments to clarify what those Everyday Cubelets are being lined with today and it only led to more confusion.

Here's what's happening, with a little historical context for flavor:

Everyday Cubelets were initially intended to be lined only with Carbon Aether. When they were new (originally called the Travel Cubelet) they didn't even have a color designation for the interior. Supply issues aren't a new phenomenon and at some point we were out of Carbon Aether and decided to line TCs with Ultraviolet Aether. At that time we gave them a secondary color code. It was never the intention to keep them all lined with Ultraviolet (it worked better for some shells than others, of course) so when we started using NW Sky Aether, they all changed to that. I don't recall exactly but we may have used some Ultraviolet still in an instance or two when we were monitoring the NW Sky fabric consumption.

A couple years ago, in the time of our more current supply challenges we sourced what we now call Piscine, due to challenges with Aether. We referred to this as Aether replacer for a long time and used it to line laptop compartments and a few other things. We really like that fabric and it's been used inside Nik's Minimalist Wallets some, as well as inside the (now-called) Everyday Cubelet. We've actually had them lined with the Piscine fabric for some time and never separated them from some lingering NW Sky Aether... until today! We like Piscine so much that it's going to officially replace Aether going forward. We have Packing Cubes in the works and it's going to line all future batches of ECs. Nik's Wallets could still have some NW Sky Aether for a while as we use up roll ends and such, but they'll use the Graphite Piscine exclusively at some point too.

It's possible we'll get additional colors of Piscine at some point, but none are selected or in the works yet

Comment

The E/T Cubelet page was updated with the Graphite Piscine versions indicated and some new photos added
      The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.
      -Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures

Comment

Hi MikeV
        The colored zipper GWs were retired and the Icon using the colored zippers have been dwindling... Is the Icon also retiring or switching to black zippers or?
        Thanks!
        The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
          Hi MikeV
          The colored zipper GWs were retired and the Icon using the colored zippers have been dwindling... Is the Icon also retiring or switching to black zippers or?
          Thanks!
          Good question, but not a lot of clarity on this one, I'm afraid! We don't have any in the works, and it's unlikely we'll have any more made this year. That's as far as I can see on the Icon right now.

Comment

October Restocks And What’s Coming

Was excited for the return of the Field Journal Notebook until I saw that they are all going to be made in cordura. Wish they made an all Black Parapack version.
            🏳️‍🌈

Comment

Hmmmm. Question for Field Journal owners: do they fit A5 paper? And, what's the spacing on the rings?
              Last edited by epeterson; 10-25-2022, 05:52 PM.
              Work EDC: S19

Comment

Originally posted by latchford View Post
                October Restocks And What’s Coming

Was excited for the return of the Field Journal Notebook until I saw that they are all going to be made in cordura. Wish they made an all Black Parapack version.
                Try asking, you never know if this is something that might add as a color option for the FJN. Although, I haven't had much luck in having them add Parapack options for the Side Effect, even though they finally did give use the option of preordering these in 200d Halcyon.

Comment

Originally posted by epeterson View Post
                  Hmmmm. Question for Field Journal owners: do they fit A5 paper? And, what's the spacing on the rings?
                  I wrote and summarized a lot of posts about the FJN, including on the paper sizes and the ring spacing. The original web site is gone, but here is the best source of planner paper comparisons and hole spacings that I found for various planners (via the Internet Archive Wayback
                  Machine)

One of the threads that this came from is Let’s Talk About The Field Journal. Of course, all the links originally in my post were trashed by the forum upgrade and reindexing. And the JASON code that they now use seems to fail to correctly display many images in long threads, so not only do I have to locate posts that wrote from memory, but I also have to do about 5 times the work additionally searching for a thread that will display the image that was included.

I think Cristina hacked her FJN to take A5 paper and ring spacing but you have to replace the 3 ring portion of the FJN. Or you can use a hole punch that can adapt the paper to the FJN rings. (This is really designed for half US letter size paper).

HTH

moriond

Comment

No Coyote or Linen Cordura options?!?

Bummer.

Thumbs up for the Plum, though!

Nice to see some new Cordura options added into the mix.
                    I own a LOT of Tom Bihn bags, but here are the ones I'm using right now:

EDC: SH
                    Day Hiking: ADX26
                    Car Travel: T45, MT, MYD
                    Plane Travel: CP, WF, SZTSB

Here's a blog post I wrote about my 3 favorite bags:

https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/portable-culture-portrait-three-favorites-with-eric-widuger

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                      Try asking, you never know if this is something that might add as a color option for the FJN. Although, I haven't had much luck in having them add Parapack options for the Side Effect, even though they finally did give use the option of preordering these in 200d Halcyon.
                      Time for me to bug them again I stopped bugging them for a Navy Parapack SE after I got an Acuity one during the preorder.
                      🏳️‍🌈

Comment

It'll be fun to see what else Plum ends up in... Here's a plug for Shop Bags!

Comment

Fingers crossed that Coyote and Linen cordura make a comeback.

Comment

8 1/2 x 5 1/2 paper fits in the FJ. The spacing of the center of the holes starting from the bottom of the page is 1 1/2", 4 1/4 " and 7".

Comment

Originally posted by kjquilts View Post
                              8 1/2 x 5 1/2 paper fits in the FJ. The spacing of the center of the holes starting from the bottom of the page is 1 1/2", 4 1/4 " and 7".
                              Take a look at the pictures of A5 paper and the FJN in my 06-18-2017 post from the Benefits of the Field Journal over Midori? thread. That also gives the link to buying the Staples stapler (although I don't currently see this in stock at Amazon)

Comment

epeterson, moriond,

I did spend a LOT of time trying to make my FJN compatible with different notebooks and euro-formats. In the end, the way I use it now. I just bought that half-letter hole puncher from Staples and had it sent to me. I can punch A5 paper and just use the rings as they are. The included rings stay put and are a good size. The euro ones I tried to fit into the FJN slid around a bit and didn’t hold enough paper. I also found some handy binder dividers and folders that are the right size for the included rings. I did enjoy experimenting though.

Originally posted by moriond View Post

I wrote and summarized a lot of posts about the FJN, including on the paper sizes and the ring spacing. The original web site is gone, but here is the best source of planner paper comparisons and hole spacings that I found for various planners (via the Internet Archive Wayback
                                Machine)

One of the threads that this came from is Let’s Talk About The Field Journal. Of course, all the links originally in my post were trashed by the forum upgrade and reindexing. And the JASON code that they now use seems to fail to correctly display many images in long threads, so not only do I have to locate posts that wrote from memory, but I also have to do about 5 times the work additionally searching for a thread that will display the image that was included.

I think Cristina hacked her FJN to take A5 paper and ring spacing but you have to replace the 3 ring portion of the FJN. Or you can use a hole punch that can adapt the paper to the FJN rings. (This is really designed for half US letter size paper).

HTH

moriond

Comment

Working...
                                X