Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,995   Posts: 193,748   Members: 6,894   Active Members: 247
Welcome to our newest member, gojonnie.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion of New Colors, New Designs

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Chicagoan View Post
    PSA: Santa only puts coal in the stockings of all the naughty boys and girls who resell limited quantity items on eBay.
    So I could get coal AND list a FJN on eBay for $500? That's not a negative, that's a feature.

    (PS I don't condone exaggerated price sales. They overwhelm real listings on eBay and from sold listings on ebay they appear to not often sell at those high prices and just occupy space. From a free-market economics standpoint, I will say the sellers who do so are just a product of FOMO marketing and low inventory sales system employed in TB store. I can't fault the sellers as they found a niche and ran with it. They become the available inventory the manufacturer doesn't have or doesn't want to have. Hate the game, not the player)

    Comment


      Originally posted by organicfarmer View Post

      So I could get coal AND list a FJN on eBay for $500? That's not a negative, that's a feature.

      (PS I don't condone exaggerated price sales. They overwhelm real listings on eBay and from sold listings on ebay they appear to not often sell at those high prices and just occupy space. From a free-market economics standpoint, I will say the sellers who do so are just a product of FOMO marketing and low inventory sales system employed in TB store. I can't fault the sellers as they found a niche and ran with it. They become the available inventory the manufacturer doesn't have or doesn't want to have. Hate the game, not the player)
      One question I always ask myself when I'm on the fence about a bag, and especially when it's a rare one with limited inventory, is "would someone else enjoy this more, and is this potentially someone else's first choice they didn't or couldn't get?"

      And I return them back to Tom Bihn with the hope it gets bought by someone who wanted the bag more than I do.

      I wish more folks would just return the bags they don't like instead of selling them at a markup - because the only way to make a sale on eBay profitable (after accounting for selling fees) is to sell it at a significant markup.

      Time for turkey!
      I own a LOT of Tom Bihn bags, but here are the ones I'm using right now:
      Everyday Carry: SK
      Hiking Daypack: Cambiata

      Car Travel: SK, T45, MT
      Plane
      ​Travel: CP, TS, SZTSB

      Comment


        Looks like X-Pac has started to make its way to other bags. Black X-Pac/Solaris Halcyon Synik 30 is in production.
        Night Walk Synik 22, Night Walk Daylight Backpack, Night Walk Small Café Bag, everything Acuity and Fjord

        Comment


          Who's interested in the new Açaí 200d halcyon!?

          I saw a swatch when I visited the mothership last month (they were still waiting for the shipment to be unloaded) - it's a very happy colour!

          “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
          “Sir?”
          “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
          “Sir?”
          “That’s practically zen.”
          -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

          Comment


            Originally posted by G42 View Post
            Who's interested in the new Açaí 200d halcyon!?

            I saw a swatch when I visited the mothership last month​
            Did you get a chance to compare it to Moab? As others have pointed out, it looks very similar.

            I took screenshots of the All-Fabric 3DOC and put them next to each other. Can you tell which one is which?

            Click image for larger version

Name:	comparison.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	344635

            (Moab on the left, Acai on the right)

            Comment


              Originally posted by dirkhaun View Post

              Did you get a chance to compare it to Moab? As others have pointed out, it looks very similar.

              I took screenshots of the All-Fabric 3DOC and put them next to each other. Can you tell which one is which?

              Click image for larger version  Name:	comparison.jpg Views:	7 Size:	96.2 KB ID:	344635

              (Moab on the left, Acai on the right)
              They are definitely in the same mood/tone (as Darcy noted in the blog) but read as different colours to me.
              Both are very saturated which makes them hard to photograph (I don't think they had time to do much photography whilst trying to get some items made before year end).

              Moab is red (with some brown) and Acai is purple (with some red). Not like Island/Fjord for instance, which are both 'blue' to my perception. And they're not nearly as close as Solar/Solaris for instance.
              But tonally, they are closer to each other than Iberian to Moab or Acuity to Island for instance.

              I don't know if this helps or just confuses things more. 🙂
              Everyone sees colour differently (esp if you have any colour blindness range) and then the lighting/monitors/rendering throws in more confounding factors.

              I suggest folks ask for a swatch, especially if they're on the fence and overseas.

              ETA, the initial accessories listed this morning, so at least there are slightly bigger photos

              Last edited by G42; 12-12-2022, 08:48 AM.
              “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
              “Sir?”
              “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
              “Sir?”
              “That’s practically zen.”
              -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

              Comment


                Originally posted by G42 View Post
                Who's interested in the new Açaí 200d halcyon!?

                I saw a swatch when I visited the mothership last month (they were still waiting for the shipment to be unloaded) - it's a very happy colour!

                I’m kind of digging it. I’d buy an Açaí Zip Top Shop Bag if TB makes them in Halcyon again.
                Night Walk Synik 22, Night Walk Daylight Backpack, Night Walk Small Café Bag, everything Acuity and Fjord

                Comment


                  Originally posted by G42 View Post
                  Who's interested in the new Açaí 200d halcyon!?

                  I saw a swatch when I visited the mothership last month (they were still waiting for the shipment to be unloaded) - it's a very happy colour!

                  I am. It's the color I wished Moab was when I first saw Moab.

                  Comment


                    I spot a few Icons in colours that weren't available recently. Tray Biens, too (was that even available in Constellation when it debuted?). And the smaller sizes of the Swivel Double Carabiners have also been restocked.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by dirkhaun View Post
                      I spot a few Icons in colours that weren't available recently. Tray Biens, too (was that even available in Constellation when it debuted?). And the smaller sizes of the Swivel Double Carabiners have also been restocked.
                      dirkhaun Yes the Tray Bien was originally availabie in Constellation. The icons in the 630d Recycled Logic Blue and Nebulous Grey are added (both just a few) as is the 525d Ballistic Coyote.

                      I’ll add that the number 4 Nik’s Wallet in Nightwalk (with loop for keystrap attachment) is back in stock

                      Comment


                        Lots of random low quantity stuff went up, including some of the Iberian keystraps. Also the item limits were removed from the keystraps and the wallets last week.
                        “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
                        “Sir?”
                        “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
                        “Sir?”
                        “That’s practically zen.”
                        -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by moriond View Post
                          dirkhaunThe icons in the 630d Recycled Logic Blue and Nebulous Grey are added (both just a few) as is the 525d Ballistic Coyote.
                          Actually, the Icon was available in Coyote (and Ursa and Wilderness) for the last couple of weeks. Black, Nebulous Grey, and Logic Blue (now gone again) were added yesterday. Can you tell I've been watching that space?

                          Comment


                            I had asked a while ago about the status of the Icon and they said nothing definitive, but my operating assumption is that this may be the last of them or at least the last of the colour zippers.
                            “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
                            “Sir?”
                            “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
                            “Sir?”
                            “That’s practically zen.”
                            -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by G42 View Post
                              I had asked a while ago about the status of the Icon and they said nothing definitive, but my operating assumption is that this may be the last of them or at least the last of the colour zippers.
                              Yeah, that was my impression, too - and why I'm watching that page. I'd like to have a Black/Rainbow Colours one, or maybe a Black/Black. But blue just isn't my colour

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by dirkhaun View Post

                                Yeah, that was my impression, too - and why I'm watching that page. I'd like to have a Black/Rainbow Colours one, or maybe a Black/Black. But blue just isn't my colour
                                There was a Black/Rainbow briefly yesterday.
                                I may have an extra Black/Black to swap at some point.
                                “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
                                “Sir?”
                                “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
                                “Sir?”
                                “That’s practically zen.”
                                -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X