TB branded Garment Folders …?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TB branded Garment Folders …?!?

After taking my first trip with my Aeronaut 30 (I just added a quick first-impressions post to an earlier topic), I thought of one thing that woulda been cool to have had, tho I don't know if it's ever been considered or brought up before:

Tom Bihn official Garment Folders, sized correctly for all the popular travel bags! You know, the thin plastic sheet you use as a guide to fold a few button-down or other nicer shirts around, then the square of piece light (Halcyon maybe?) fabric with four flaps you wrap around the shirts to keep them flat and unwrinkled. A bit of velcro to hold the flaps closed however many shirts are packed inside. I have one but it wouldn't fit in the A30 or even the A45, I think -- unless maybe if you open up one or both of the side compartments. It would be interesting to see how a 12" square guide would work in folding clothes, but it'd be awesome to pack a few shirts that way in the bottom of the Aeronaut, maybe strap the whole bundle down there just to be safe.

Anyway, just a thought! Curious what Darcy or any of the rest of the crew or regulars here think.
    ---
    My Bags: Burnt Orange Side Kick Aeronaut 30 Aubergine Everyday Cubelet
    With: Island Packing CubesTravel Tray Cubelet Dawn Wallet

Preordered: Burnt Orange Medium Cafe Bag Canary Large Shop Bag

I bought some before I used Tom Bihn luggage.

After discovering Tom Bihn luggage, I got Packing Cube Backpacks for the Aeronaut and Western Flyer and a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, later, I added a Daylight Backpack. https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...nt=18124789575

I love that they are all fabric and I am really pleased to have 4 extra bags to use on the trip​, which are re-purposed as Packing Cubes when it is time to pack.​​​​​​

Now, Tom makes Packing Cubes, which have mesh and are made of Aether and can pretty much be used like the garment folders you mention.
    https://www.tombihn.com/collections/accessories?page=1

Comment

Originally posted by backpack View Post

I got Packing Cube Backpacks for the Aeronaut and Western Flyer and a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, later, I added a Daylight Backpack. https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...nt=18124789575
      unfortunately I believe [some] of the PCBPs and [some] of the packing cubes are out of stock with no TBD last time I checked a few weeks back [update: just looked and some now are in stock!]

For the WF & TS, Eagle Creek makes a large packing cube that fits the TS perfectly, though is a bit thicker than the TS's compartments so you have to not pack it full
      Click image for larger version  Name:	A1AQAejCUyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	564.4 KB ID:	332627

and the Peak Design medium & small packing cubes fit the S30 perfectly like they were made for it!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Andy.S30.png Views:	0 Size:	166.8 KB ID:	332628

From Andy's review - and the medium is 1/2" larger width/length (12.6x12.6) than the A30 large PCs (12x12)
      Last edited by GrussGott; 05-26-2021, 02:41 PM.
      Seeking Verde Aeronauts and Ursa or Coyote Synik 30 GE

Comment

Thanks backpack and GrussGott …! I do have a pair of small A30 packing cubes already … I was thinking more the type of garment folder that's useful for button-down dress shirts you don't want to get crumpled or wrinkled, with a flat plastic "guide" that both helps you fold them to exactly the right size and provides just a bit of stiffness when they're packed, and also wraps tightly around the shirts to keep them flat. Unfortunately as far as I can tell even the smallest ones on the market are longer than 12" and therefore not a good fit for the A30 … seems like it would pretty much need to be a custom fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	garmentbag.png
Views:	273
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	332631

I suppose what I could do in a pinch is get a large A30 packing cube and cut a slightly-smaller-than-12" sheet of plastic to use as a guide/structural support and pack that way. It was just a thought, though. Maybe it's an impossible dream, but I can dream at least.
        ---

Comment

Cooner
          I've used the Eagle Creek folders in the past, but usually I travel with clothes I can fold the same way and just fold in half again, to fit the small laundry cube... I prefer the small over the large... the EC folders work for me when I, on rare occasion, only travel with a backpack for a day or two...
          the internal 'board' is to help you make precise folds...the outside wings to make the package is to keep things from moving around & wrinkling...if you pack any brand of cube neatly and reasonably tightly, you get the same effect

Note that the newer versions of the A30 & A45 (newer as in for years) have zippers at the fabric dividers, so you can connect the main compartment to one or both ends...if you wanted to, you could use the EC folders that way - they would then extend into one end section.

I believe that the EC folders are sized to fit the what they consider to be the 'normal' sizes for clothes (two main folder sizes), so I don't know that sizing a folder for the main compartment of the A30 for instance, would make a lot of sense... you could take an existing folder and trim it down and try it or mock it up
          I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

They are the ones I used, they do not help to prevent wrinkling of a dress shirt.

I still remember having to unpack dress shirts, as soon as I checked in the hotel, then find time, to iron one or more, if two dress up events were scheduled one after the other.

I didn't like that, at all, because I had to learn to streamline, my own version of dressing up, in order to take care of that.

After switching to Tom Bihn Packing Cubes and luggage, I found thru the wisdom and great tips provided in this forum, non-iron shirts and other smart fabrics designed for travel.

Since then, visiting places, has been much more pleasant.

I found those folders, when I was re-organizing and labeling my Tom Bihn boxes. I will use them for paperwork until The Crew makes more Large Organizer Pouches.

With the help of those smart fabrics and my fellow Bihnthusiasts, I was even able to look sharp while visiting family, on a 3 cities in 3 countries journey.

Last edited by backpack; 05-26-2021, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooner View Post
              I was thinking more the type of garment folder that's useful for button-down dress shirts you don't want to get crumpled or wrinkled, with a flat plastic "guide" that both helps you fold them to exactly the right size and provides just a bit of stiffness when they're packed, and also wraps tightly around the shirts to keep them flat. Unfortunately as far as I can tell even the smallest ones on the market are longer than 12" and therefore not a good fit for the A30
              Well this is where that new A45 might come in handy

I use the medium EC folder all the time and it fits in the TS, WF (tight fit), and the A45 with one side unzipped

Here's the EC medium in front of a WF & A45:

Name:	fetch?id=332530.png
Views:	278
Size:	740.0 KB
ID:	332642

And then here, the EC folder is packed, in the WF, which is in the A45 with the one side unzipped:

Name:	fetch?id=332531.png
Views:	244
Size:	818.4 KB
ID:	332643

There's still lots of room ... I think for the A30 you'd need both sides and even then maybe not ... you probably already know all this!

I do have the small EC folder, but it never really worked for me ... it's 14x9 so it's only 1" larger than the A45's main compartment (and 2" larger than the A30), but that never really helped me.

Bottom line is, if you like folder packing, then the Tristar & Western Flyer combined w/ the med EC folder are a perfect match, but no so much with the Aeronauts.

Comment

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post
                Bottom line is, if you like folder packing, then the Tristar & Western Flyer combined w/ the med EC folder are a perfect match, but no so much with the Aeronauts.
                Thanks again for the photos! Yeah, an A45 would allow more options, tho I'm usually a lighter packer than that. We'll see.

On reflection I guess the truth is I'm only a bit of a folder packer but not as much as I am a minimalist and volumetric packer. XD I like the folder (I don't even remember who makes it) I've used with my Pro Weekender, basically because it's like a packing cube but only an inch or so thick with some structure to it so I can tuck my two or three overshirts into the pocket that's at the back of the main compartment before loading everything else in. It's not something I NEED, though, and I mostly dress casual and my travel clothes are wrinkle-free so it's not absolutely necessary.

I guess the kernel of it is, IF Tom Bihn made a travel folder in Tom Bihn colors that fit the bottom of the Aeronauts I would totally get one or two of them, but it's not something I feel the need to jump through hoops for to try to force another brand of travel folder to fit. XD It doesn't seem that they'd be that challenging to make, but, I also understand that if there's no market for them it's not worth their time to design and manufacture.
                ---

Comment

Originally posted by Cooner View Post
                  It doesn't seem that they'd be that challenging to make, but, I also understand that if there's no market for them it's not worth their time to design and manufacture.
                  Yeah, especially these days there's still a pretty limited demand for travel items. Thankfully the travel industry is starting to recover, but I heard on the radio the other day that it may never fully come back because remote connectivity has taken off so much from covid.

Comment

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post

I use the medium EC folder all the time and it fits in the TS, WF (tight fit), and the A45 with one side unzipped
                    Do you use the Halcyon WF? My medium EC folder will not fit into my ballistic WF. Close, but cannot be zipped.
                    Today is a good day for a good day!

Comment

Originally posted by Artdime View Post

Do you use the Halcyon WF? My medium EC folder will not fit into my ballistic WF. Close, but cannot be zipped.
                      @Ardtime Up until very recently GrussGott has only had the WF in Black 400d Halcyon, so that picture was with his Halcyon WF. However, this has been discussed before on the forums. See, for example, the 07-02-2013 Western Flyer and Eagle Creek Pack-It Folder thread byhamiltee
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	E2C5D2BD-5F50-4BC3-8091-531DBE0721DD.jpeg Views:	14 Size:	446.2 KB ID:	332663
                      if you read through the discussion (past the photos) there are comments about using the different size EC folders, and also about their fits (with pictures) in bags like the Synapse 25.

In the pictures of taminca ‘s 01-30-2014 review, First Trip with Western Flyer she uses Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter Packing Folder 18 (this is the version in silnylon)
                      https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...-western-flyer

My comment in that thread, which does show the packup for a 1050d Ballistic Nylon Western Flyer in Aubergine, is that it is easier to do with the specter 2 version that she shows (and I reference the thread by hamiltee that I linked above).

HTH

moriond

ETA: I’m excerpting one of taminca ‘s pictures of the Specter 2 (Silnylon) version of the Medium(=18”) size Eagle Creek Packing folder to shows that this fits into the back pocket of her 1050d Ballistic Nylon Aubergine Western Flyer, even though the earlier cloth versions (similar to the one in the other photo by hamiltee that I excerpted) do not.

Name:	AC939719-4213-4056-828E-098F87A10EC9.png
Views:	197
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	332671
                      Last edited by moriond; 05-27-2021, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artdime View Post
                        Originally posted by moriond View Post
                        she uses Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter Packing Folder 18
                        Yup, exactly - while the pictured EC medium does fit into my halcyon WF, since that photo I switched to the EC Specter medium folder which was an easier fit in Halcyon and also fits my WF ballistic in a test pack - happy to post photos if it'll help!

Comment

I used the larger Eagle Creek folders back when they were new and I was doing significant business travel. I also gave them as gifts. Interesting that they went unused for ten years or more till these friends started seeing them on the web and remembered they had one or two. Now that I am a carry-on-only guy, one medium folder is all i need to keep an ultralight blazer neatly packed.

Comment

I have used the eagle creek folders and rolling does a (much) better job of preventing wrinkles IME.

for blazers, the brooks brothers method is pretty tough to beat, though you're better off in most cases just wearing the jacket on the plane.

https://magazine.brooksbrothers.com/how-to-pack-a-suit/

Comment

Originally posted by Bogiesan View Post

Now that I am a carry-on-only guy, one medium folder is all i need to keep an ultralight blazer neatly packed.
                              Same, and I transitioned to a mix of all the methods:

* Suits: jackets & pants get rolled separately
                              - jacket - inside-out shoulder method (2nd link), fold in half, and then again, and the roll from the collar down (I usually put a rolled up t-shirt in there first)
                              - Pants - roll them up starting at the cuffs, so now they can be stored separately from the jacket

* Dress shirts: go flat and rotated 180 on the folder in prep for bundling

Then I put the rolled suits on top of the unfolded shirts within the borders of the folder, fold the shirts around the suits in the bundle method, and close the folder for packing into the WF or TS - you should be able to get at least 2 full suits & shirts in the med folder this way. T-shirts, undies, and socks go into a TLSS or cube. If there are any wrinkles when I unpack, they're minor and hanging the suit, especially in the bathroom while you take a shower, will clear them.

So roll, bundle, folder! I find the folder makes an easier packing bundle than the cubes because of the rigid bottom and flexible top.

The same is true for business casual, just usually only 1 jacket which I sometimes wear and/or goes into my S25 or now my fancy new Taiga S30!
                              Last edited by GrussGott; 06-06-2021, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X