Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain Bag and Synik30 Questions...

Hello All,

My first TB post! I have decided to make my first TB purchase and am now debating between the Brain Bag and Synik 30. Love the storage capabilities of the BB but on the other hand the organization of the Synik30 is something I can't overlook. Still debating about that.

So on to three questions that I have...
    1. Anybody have an idea of when the Black 525 colorway will be shipping for the Synik30?
    2. Also will the BB restock on 6/8 include the Black 525 colorway? (I think you can guess that I have settled on what ever choice I make that the pack would be Black).
    3. And lastly how well will a 17 inch laptop (16.36" x 11.06" x 1.27") fit within the main compartment (not laptop compartment) of the Synik 30?

Thanks-in-advance for any help you can provide me on this difficult decision.

Regards,

- Corbina.

Originally posted by Corbina View Post
    Hello All,

My first TB post! I have decided to make my first TB purchase and am now debating between the Brain Bag and Synik 30. Love the storage capabilities of the BB but on the other hand the organization of the Synik30 is something I can't overlook. Still debating about that.

So on to three questions that I have...
    1. Anybody have an idea of when the Black 525 colorway will be shipping for the Synik30?
    2. Also will the BB restock on 6/8 include the Black 525 colorway? (I think you can guess that I have settled on what ever choice I make that the pack would be Black).
    3. And lastly how well will a 17 inch laptop (16.36" x 11.06" x 1.27") fit within the main compartment (not laptop compartment) of the Synik 30?

Thanks-in-advance for any help you can provide me on this difficult decision.

Regards,

- Corbina.
    Welcome to the Forums Corbina !

On each item page, if you click on the little icon of the colour combo you want or select it from the drop down, it will show the latest update info for that specific combo.

The Black 525 SN30 is now showing "The next batch of Synik 30s will be restocked on June 22 at 7am PT."

The Black 525 BB is now showing "The Brain Bag will be restocked on June 8 at 7am PT."

I don't have a SN30 or 17" laptop, but based on your dimensions it will fit. How 'well' it fits will also depend on if you have a case/sleeve on it and personal preference. Hopefully some folks with the SN30/17" laptop combo can share their experiences.

Besides the volume difference on the two bags, the onboard pockets are obviously arranged differently; the SN30 is clamshell opening with a laptop area; the BB has two main compartments; water bottle containment is different.
    The overall vertical length of the bags from strap to base is different too. I'm 5'4" with a shorter torso and find that the Synapse 25 and Synik 30 are a touch too tall for my preference, but I'm ok with the BB vertical, YMMV.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Thanks G42 for the tips on restock dates for the colorways! Funny that I didn't click through to see it before.

I was starting to sway towards the SN30 due to the organization but your insightful comment about the length (as I too am 5'4") has me re-accessing my preference. Decisions... decisions...

Comment

I was starting to sway towards the SN30 due to the organization but your insightful comment about the length (as I too am 5'4") has me re-accessing my preference. Decisions... decisions...
        More info to consider:

Standard advice, if you can't decide, is to buy both bags, follow the guidelines for test fitting at home and return the one you don't want... with the caveat that many folks end up keeping both/many bags, which may not be what you budgeted for. It's also usually cost prohibitive if you live outside the US due to shipping & duties - though there are some folks who just resell the unwanted bag.
        Here's the FAQ https://www.tombihn.com/pages/contact-us/#faq38

And on the height thing, my comfortable fit has to do with torso length and body shape...
        I don't like it if the pack lands just the wrong way on the edge of my butt, so I like to keep the length from the straps to the base at under 20"....which is why the BB at 18.1" feels fine to me but the S25/SN30 at 20" feel not quite right...not painful or anything, but annoying, especially over time.

REI has a nice blurb about how to measure torso length
        https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...sting-fit.html

Everyone's shape & size are different though - there are plenty of shorter folks who don't mind the taller packs at all. If you have any packs that fit you well today, try measuring the vertical distance and see what else (width, straps, etc) make it nice or not nice to carry - versus all the organizational features/fabrics/etc.
        For instance, many folks love the new Edgeless straps that TB is using on many of the bags vs the older less cushy 'Bound' straps but some prefer the exact opposite and I find I don't mind either way.

On a related note, both the Shadow Guide 23 and 33 actually fit within my preferred vertical because those pack design overall heights include the lid pockets which extend above the straps.
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

G42,

Again thanks for the additional info. I did the further research and likewise it does look like sub 20" is better suited for my body size.

I can image the bottom of the Synik30 pack with a 17" laptop inside hitting / resting on the top of my butt not being the most comfortable thing. The BB looks to be the better fitting pack for me. As such I think I'll go with the BB and forgo the double order / return of one option.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,

- Corbina.

Comment

You'll be happy with the BB, it's one of my favorites! (And yes, I have both bags for comparison).

Fyi, I would highly recommend getting a Synapse 25 frame sheet to put against the back panel (it clips in at the top). It gives it a lot more structure and makes it much easier and more comfortable to carry, IMO.
            Last edited by Surrealle; 05-29-2021, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrealle View Post

Fyi, I would strongly recommend getting a Synapse 25 frame sheet to put against the back panel (it clips in at the top). It gives it a lot more structure and makes it a lot easier and more comfortable to carry, IMO.
              Corbina If you want to read the thread about Frame Sheet for the Brain Bag

https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...-the-brain-bag

There are some photos there, especially the ones from 07-18-202O by @EricT showing the internal frame for the Synapse 25 in the Brain Bag.. I don’t currently see this size in stock, but they may remake them before the Brain Bag restock. (Check with customer support)

moriond

Comment

The frame sheet is worth trying to see if you like it (with the same return caveats....).
                I don't use one in my Brain Bag because I tend to carry two laptops and they provide the rigidity I like... but I have three S19s and two have frame sheets in them - I really like the feel when I'm carrying less rigid stuff

Comment

And lastly how well will a 17 inch laptop (16.36" x 11.06" x 1.27") fit within the main compartment (not laptop compartment) of the Synik 30?
                  Very well. I use an S30 as EDC. My 15.6in HP Envy is measured 15inx10in. It won't fit via the side access so I keep it in the main compartment. Your laptop is a hair larger but should be a comfortable fit.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	s30 laptop.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	332758

Comment

Thanks for all the tips on the frame sheet. Definitely going to try one out and see if it works for me.

And domoneysong... thanks as well for the picture. Definitely looks like my 17" laptop would fit.

Length of the Synik 30 vs Brain Bag is my only concern at this time. Still strongly considering the Brain Bag but who knows... as I have time I still may change my mind.

- Corbina.

Comment

The BB is a high volume hauler. If capacity is driving the train, you have your answer. If you decide to go a different way, the resale of a lightly used BB is quite remarkable.

Comment

Originally posted by vcdgrips View Post
                        If capacity is driving the train, you have your answer.
                        What a wonderfully evocative saying - I'm going to borrow that phrase!

Comment

For what it's worth, even if you don't need to haul a bunch of stuff, the BB is still a great choice. It's very flexible on that thanks to the compression straps (one of my favorite features of the bag because it makes it so versatile for different loads).

Comment

Working...
                          X